Author Topic: Planning weddings  (Read 86932 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Planning weddings
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Man, I need to qualify my last post.  I was married in 2002 and then a large part of the expense was a min quantity of pic's being purchased  :sdeek: since the digital camera age wasn't very high quality back then.

Jesus, this post makes me feel super old. 

:facepalm:
They had digital cameras when you got married??!!

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
Man, I need to qualify my last post.  I was married in 2002 and then a large part of the expense was a min quantity of pic's being purchased  :sdeek: since the digital camera age wasn't very high quality back then.

They had digital cameras when you got married??!!

Dobbs, I bought a Sony Mavica 1.2MP cam for $440 in 1999 the summer after my Soph yr....so, yeah, they had them.  But I am pretty sure they topped out at like 3MP then and that cam prob cost like $5k at the time and produced images that you wouldn't want your wedding saved as. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

Purchasing the photos is still a large part of the expense. Very few photographers would give you the copyright on the photos, and nobody will make copies of photos that look professionally done for you.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »
we paid kind of a lot I think, but our photogs were super amazing and gave us all of the images digitally including a release.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
OK cat, what's the protocol for this?:

Bride has a good friend in Seattle, not in the wedding, who is a pro photog of weddings and babies and stuff. Thinking of asking her. Should we expect her to cut us a deal since she's good buds with Ms. SB or should we pay her what she would normally get? Or, if we offered to buy her flight to NOLA and pay for her hotel room in exchange for her services, would she see that as an insult? Or what? She's pretty laid back most of the time.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »
SB,
I don't know the protocol, but I would be leery of having a quasi-guest shoot the wedding.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »
:frown: Really? I ask this because of course I've never done it, but...can I just have her shoot the nicey-nice staged photos and rely on people's digicams to capture awesomeness from the party bash reception? I mean, we're going for more of a "beer bust" feel at the reception than a formal, bullshit, look-at-how-elegant-this-all-is type of reception.

:dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
:frown: Really? I ask this because of course I've never done it, but...can I just have her shoot the nicey-nice staged photos and rely on people's digicams to capture awesomeness from the party bash reception? I mean, we're going for more of a "beer bust" feel at the reception than a formal, bullshit, look-at-how-elegant-this-all-is type of reception.

She's friends with your fiancé.  Have them discuss it.  She won't offer to do anything she's not comfortable with.  Why intrust it to a stranger when somebody your lady knows/likes/trusts is willing to do it?  I would not leave it up to random drunk guests to take reception photos if you actually care about getting some good ones.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Just pretty much want good party pics I guess. I mean...who cares.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »

Possibly your future wife does.  Nobody gives a crap what you want.  That's already been covered.  Pay attention.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
Mrs. Titola planned our whole wedding. I don't think i made a single decision, I just had to show up.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »
Mrs. Titola planned our whole wedding. I don't think i made a single decision, I just had to show up.

Sock outed?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

Sock outed?

I believe its his sister
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

Sock outed?

I believe its his sister

Pigaggie outed :runaway:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »

Sock outed?

I believe its his sister

Even more confused now.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

Possibly your future wife does.  Nobody gives a crap what you want.  That's already been covered.  Pay attention.   

She barely cares too, it's pretty awesome. That's why we picked this one venue, because they handle all the food, booze, tables/chairs/linens, etc. we looked at a few places where we would've had to do more legwork and she was like, "F this, let's go with the place where we do less work." But yeah, I bet pro photos of the reception might actually be worth the investment. I guess.

oh and all this is about my Canadian friend or whatever.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »

Sock outed?

I believe its his sister

My wife and Phil Titola's wife are sisters.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »

Sock outed?

I believe its his sister

My wife and Phil Titola's wife are sisters.

so is phil the brother, or you?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
The Canadian friend thing is only funny when Pete does it. So just stop, everyone.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
The Canadian friend thing is only funny when Pete does it. So just stop, everyone.

LOL my canadian friend says the same thing.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

i have like 6 canadian friends though  :curse:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »

i have like 6 canadian friends though  :curse:
I have like 20 or something. But you know what, I am not a racist towards Canadians, so I just call them "friend".

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend
canadian friend

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »
i personally know 0 canadians but i often watch hgtv

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2013, 12:29:55 AM »

She's friends with your fiancé.  Have them discuss it.  She won't offer to do anything she's not comfortable with.  Why intrust it to a stranger when somebody your lady knows/likes/trusts is willing to do it?  I would not leave it up to random drunk guests to take reception photos if you actually care about getting some good ones.     

I suspect drunk guests will gravitate toward self-shots with their cell phones. Not good, IMO.