Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103068 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
This thread would probably be more interesting if it were about the worst city in Oklahoma. Coffeyville would be one of the 10 best cities in Oklahoma.

I've been thinking about worst cities in KS for the last 10 minutes.  Everytime I think I have a good one, I realize it's in Oklahoma. 

There is a fine line between the enjoyment of taking their money and realizing that I have to live amongst them.

Not only that, but the frontrunners for worst city in Kansas are all located within 15 minutes of the Oklahoma State line. The exception is Topeka, but I don't really think Topeka has a shot at winning.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Scott City.
Take it back you bad person.  :shakesfist: I use to be the voice of the beavers.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
Scott City is nowhere close to worst at this time, but they are definitely headed that direction and might get there in about 20 years.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
This thread would probably be more interesting if it were about the worst city in Oklahoma. Coffeyville would be one of the 10 best cities in Oklahoma.

I've been thinking about worst cities in KS for the last 10 minutes.  Everytime I think I have a good one, I realize it's in Oklahoma. 

There is a fine line between the enjoyment of taking their money and realizing that I have to live amongst them.

Not only that, but the frontrunners for worst city in Kansas are all located within 15 minutes of the Oklahoma State line. The exception is Topeka, but I don't really think Topeka has a shot at winning.

There is a reason for that.  It's because a lot of those towns were built on oil/natural gas money, just like a lot of the towns just across the border in Oklahoma.  The cyclical nature of that industry just kills towns that aren't diverse in income streams.  Hugoton was going down that path 10 years ago and I don't know if they got out of it.  Also, oil is dirty.  Oil workers are always covered in it.  Their vehicles are covered in it.  Pretty soon the town is covered in it and it just becomes the norm.

See why Gooch says Coffeyville is a crap hole.  It goes back to oil. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

There is a reason for that.  It's because a lot of those towns were built on oil/natural gas money, just like a lot of the towns just across the border in Oklahoma.  The cyclical nature of that industry just kills towns that aren't diverse in income streams.  Hugoton was going down that path 10 years ago and I don't know if they got out of it.

They just got a brand new ethanol facility, so I believe things are looking up. I've only spent a couple of hours there, but it seemed way too nice to be in the running for this competition. Washed up mining towns are worse than washed up oil and gas towns because they have the same kind of economic devastation, plus major drinking water issues and safety concerns due to sink holes.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »

This.

South Coffeyville, OK is a real crap hole.

Oh man. A lot of Sale Barn/Sunday beer envy in this post.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »

This.

:lol:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »

This.

People have been known to drive all the way from Coffeyville to get cheaper cigarettes also. But then they complain because the new Walmarts is all the way on the outskirts of town, so it takes a whole 5 minutes to get there.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »
Pffft, St. Mary's is the black squirrel capital of the world.  If it was so bad, why would so many squirrels hang out there?

you're thinking about marysville. sheesh, the guy lives in colorado for a year and he can't even tell the difference between st marys and marysville anymore. go start a colorado thread. hint... it's either canon city, la junta or trinidad.

Cheyenne Wells. Hands down

too mall to be considered imo. we really need some rules here.

I don't think the rules should include the size of the city, but if you make a suggestion, you should have something to back it up, like the environmental disasters in Galena, the redneck oil town in Coffeyville, the crime in Topeka, etc. Just saying some hayseed town because it's boring or something is not going to be enough to win the competition.

Yes. Excellent baseline. Also, since I'm the only official judge, it helps if I know the town. If I don't, your description of its gross/depressing nature better be detailed and include metaphors and similes and maybe some anthropomorphization.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Scott City.
Take it back you bad person.  :shakesfist: I use to be the voice of the beavers.

Let the record show I've only been there once and it was for the wifes grandmas funeral. My only memory was how rough ridin' windy it was. That is the reason for my vote and I'm sure you will agree now.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
I'm glad nobody mentioned my hometown. I'm not surprised though, Moran is a lovely little town.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
IMO, the people of SE KS are the absolute worst.  Have a good friend from down there, an attorney, like a good and moral and ethical person, but oh man if I don't want to do something he wants to do it's "you fuckin pussy!  you fuckin man of taste and distinction!"  over and over again.  It's like SE KS talk.

Well, due to its proximity to Oklahoma and Missouri, there is quite a bit of demographic spill-over. There is never a shortage of Busch Light, Mountain Dew, and methamphetamine. That said, while there is a ton of white trash, those people are still in the minority and your friend is probably just an bad person.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
Was Leavenworth disqualified for being too easy of a choice or something?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
IMO, the people of SE KS are the absolute worst.  Have a good friend from down there, an attorney, like a good and moral and ethical person, but oh man if I don't want to do something he wants to do it's "you fuckin pussy!  you fuckin man of taste and distinction!"  over and over again.  It's like SE KS talk.

Well, due to its proximity to Oklahoma and Missouri, there is quite a bit of demographic spill-over. There is never a shortage of Busch Light, Mountain Dew, and methamphetamine. That said, while there is a ton of white trash, those people are still in the minority and your friend is probably just an bad person.

That's all isolated, small towns.  I went to Fort Hays for 2 years and this is all I heard from people from places like Jetmore.  Also, I remember amongst those people "Jewish" was the most derogatory term you could call something.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

That's all isolated, small towns.  I went to Fort Hays for 2 years and this is all I heard from people from places like Jetmore.  Also, I remember amongst those people "Jewish" was the most derogatory term you could call something.

:sdeek:

Jetmore seems pretty awful, but my only experience there was stopping to get gas.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
Pffft, St. Mary's is the black squirrel capital of the world.  If it was so bad, why would so many squirrels hang out there?

you're thinking about marysville. sheesh, the guy lives in colorado for a year and he can't even tell the difference between st marys and marysville anymore. go start a colorado thread. hint... it's either canon city, la junta or trinidad.

I don't think the rules should include the size of the city, but if you make a suggestion, you should have something to back it up, like the environmental disasters in Galena, the redneck oil town in Coffeyville, the crime in Topeka, etc. Just saying some hayseed town because it's boring or something is not going to be enough to win the competition.

Yes. Excellent baseline. Also, since I'm the only official judge, it helps if I know the town. If I don't, your description of its gross/depressing nature better be detailed and include metaphors and similes and maybe some anthropomorphization.

% of townspeople on medicaid would be a pretty good indicator of good vs bad town. st marys and hiawath= very high.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
Obviously coffeyville is the grossest and most depressing (my best bro played there with Brendan Jacobs and they would drive to Tulsa and go to hooters 3 times a week, so Tulsa hooters > coffeyville and that was before they coated the town in oily flood waters).

So we're looking for second place nominations here. Or maybe first place for the "coffeyville trophy" and we'll just assume coffeyville itself is hanging in the rafters.

And let's think about qualifications. For instance, no coop towns that have nothing but elevators and a post office. To be really depressing and gross, there needs to be a depressing amount of sad gross people living there. Community colleges are obviously a plus, as are hotels with no discernible reason for existing (I'm looking at you, Fredonia).

:dubious:
:lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
Scott City.

Let the record show I've only been there once and it was for the wifes grandmas funeral. My only memory was how rough ridin' windy it was. That is the reason for my vote and I'm sure you will agree now.
Yeah, SW Kansas is windy in general. I hate wind too. I like to run outside and it really ruins the experience.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2012, 11:32:27 AM »
yeah. st marys is really bad. so is ogden. as far as northeast/northcentral kansas goes, you'd probably have hiawatha as your leader. maybe we should break the state up into quadrants or something and come up with the worst towns in that quadrant and then put them in a bracket and vote this thing out.

I am irrationally biased to like Hiawatha, so...  :shakesfist:

...although I can't make a good argument in favor of it.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
yeah. st marys is really bad. so is ogden. as far as northeast/northcentral kansas goes, you'd probably have hiawatha as your leader. maybe we should break the state up into quadrants or something and come up with the worst towns in that quadrant and then put them in a bracket and vote this thing out.

I am irrationally biased to like Hiawatha, so...  :shakesfist:

...although I can't make a good argument in favor of it.

when you compare it to similar sized towns within an hour of it, it's easily the worst. like hands down. sorry gosp. hiawatha makes sabetha look like san diego.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
Have a squawk friend from Hiawatha and spent the 4th of July there this year. Did not think it was that terrible. :dunno:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Baxter Springs. It's right next to what's basically the worst Superfund site and ghost town in America (Picher, OK). Everyone who lives in Baxter Springs is going to turn into The Flood within 20 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 11:45:27 AM »

% of townspeople on medicaid would be a pretty good indicator of good vs bad town. st marys and hiawath= very high.

I'm not sure where to find that information, but a quick comparison of demographics between St. Mary's and Galena paints St. Mary's in a very favorable light.

St. Mary's

Galena

The median home value in Galena is only $50,000 and the median income is under $30,000.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
LUCAS, KANSAS

Home of the Garden of Eden and the Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas.

an absolutely traumatizing experience. probably worth it's own thread.
Lucas is awesome

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
LUCAS, KANSAS

Home of the Garden of Eden and the Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas.

an absolutely traumatizing experience. probably worth it's own thread.
[/quotelucas is awesome]

Nope. Strickly based off of the amazing bacon you can get from Brandtz meat locker.