Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323519 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3075 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »
alright people 2017 was a bad year for me but in early december i confronted some real issues i have with food and started making moves to become not fat. i'm down about 20 pounds since then and feeling great. here are the 3 basic rules i've been following:

1. work out 6x a week (3x p90x lift workouts, 3x HIIT-ish cardio)
2. eat fewer than 2000 calories every day
3. eliminate carbs as much as possible, preferably under 50g per day

my goal is to change habits for life. it's embarrassing to admit but i've really had to examine and change some habits that had become so normal for me: not getting seconds at every meal, controlling portion sizes, finishing my wife's plate when we're out to eat, etc... my eating habits when traveling for work were truly awful, so that's been an important change as well. eat a goddamn salad once in a while.

anyway, i'll be checking in periodically. i started at 294 :embarrassed: and would like to be around 225 by the end of the year which is what i was in high school. i'm already down a belt loop and my clothes actually fit, which is nice.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
Whatever works the best for you is what you should stick with but if you read the primal blue print by mark sisson and adhere to it with regularity you will get down to 225 easily.  Honestly if you just stop eating anything made from grain you will see a drastic improvement very quickly.  It doesn't have to be unpleasant, I routinely eat big steaks with veggies and lots of butter.  Feel free to PM me if you want more details, I'll give you as much info as you want, I've been pretty much exactly where you are and have been down to my high school weight for about 5 years now.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 22, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Whatever works the best for you is what you should stick with but if you read the primal blue print by mark sisson and adhere to it with regularity you will get down to 225 easily.  Honestly if you just stop eating anything made from grain you will see a drastic improvement very quickly.  It doesn't have to be unpleasant, I routinely eat big steaks with veggies and lots of butter.  Feel free to PM me if you want more details, I'll give you as much info as you want, I've been pretty much exactly where you are and have been down to my high school weight for about 5 years now.

i actually saw him on a documentary recently and liked everything he said. i haven't read up on everything about the primal blue print but from what i've seen i'm very close to being on the same page. primarily eating meat and veggies, not being scared of fats, doing higher intensity cardio, lifting, etc. i'll try to read up more on his stuff.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »
it is v hard to avoid sugar as much as i would like. for example i got some expensive ass hipster artisan whole grain wheat bread and i brought it home and opened it up and it smelled amazing, and i've had some fantastic toast and sandwiches etc in the last week, and then today i decided to look at the ingredients and like the #2 ingredient is corn syrup, wtf?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: February 05, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »
it is v hard to avoid sugar as much as i would like. for example i got some expensive ass hipster artisan whole grain wheat bread and i brought it home and opened it up and it smelled amazing, and i've had some fantastic toast and sandwiches etc in the last week, and then today i decided to look at the ingredients and like the #2 ingredient is corn syrup, wtf?

it's in everything. it's crazy.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: February 05, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »

it's in everything. it's crazy.

sucks  :frown:

whose idea was it to make bread and pasta and potatoes bad for you? how are there any non obese italians?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: February 05, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
Italians are eating a lot more heirloom grains that haven't been super modified

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: February 05, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
Mangino is Italian, so there.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: February 06, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
i read all the keto pages ITT and puni has me worried about all the necessary tinkering and processed meats, but then dlew has me all sleepcat.gif with the simplicity of it.

my main takeaway/hope is that if you are truly ready to commit, you will probably be fine. i am ready.
i think it was the corn syrup in the artisan hipster bread that pushed me over the edge.

:cheers: <--- vodka + la croix

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: February 06, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
blast how tall are you? (for my algorithm)

I have totally converted myself into a before work morning gym person. it has made a huge difference.

my other #ack is weights/strength training only. weights IS cardio. that's the secret the msm doesn't want you to know.

if you really enjoy "cardio" then knock your self out of course, but don't bother otherwise.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
i read all the keto pages ITT and puni has me worried about all the necessary tinkering and processed meats, but then dlew has me all sleepcat.gif with the simplicity of it.

my main takeaway/hope is that if you are truly ready to commit, you will probably be fine. i am ready.
i think it was the corn syrup in the artisan hipster bread that pushed me over the edge.

:cheers: <--- vodka + la croix

#ackr tip: keep unlimited supplies of raw walnuts and king Oscar wild caught sardines at your desk

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3086 on: February 06, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
Low carb meal for you low carbers...

Frozen Meatballs
Onions
Mushrooms
Green Beans
Garlic chowder
Oregano

Microwave the meatballs to thaw/warm. While that's happening work on the onions and mushrooms.

Saute sliced onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle teaspoon or less of garlic chowder. Oregano as you desire. Once onions and mushrooms are done, add can of green beans with juice. Stir frequently until beans are warm.

Slice meatballs in half and put in pan with veggies. Add half a can of water (green bean can). Simmer covered for ten minutes.

I use four meatballs per person (four of us), two onions, a package of mushrooms, and a can of green beans.

I've made it twice. Family loves it. Takes half an hour to prepare.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: February 06, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
Holy crap puni is a primal god.   

@mocat how fat did you get?  I had to hit 240 at 6'1 to hit the point I was willing to actually do something about it.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: February 06, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
blast how tall are you? (for my algorithm)

I have totally converted myself into a before work morning gym person. it has made a huge difference.

my other #ack is weights/strength training only. weights IS cardio. that's the secret the msm doesn't want you to know.

if you really enjoy "cardio" then knock your self out of course, but don't bother otherwise.

6'2

i do a 20 minute treadmill interval thing that i like. i definitely don't look forward to it as much as lifting but i like to incorporate a little bit of hard running.

The Big Train

« Reply #3089 on: February 06, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
Exercise is important but diet is even more important.  You can exercise hard every day but it you eat like crap it isn't going to make you lose weight.  Really if you just use portion control you can still eat about whatever you want.   

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
Holy crap puni is a primal god.   

@mocat how fat did you get?  I had to hit 240 at 6'1 to hit the point I was willing to actually do something about it.
229. 6'-1"

I dont really care about the number tho. For me it was more like there were fewer and fewer shirts in my closet I was willing to wear because of my carb storage tank midsection

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:13 PM »
Yea feels bad man, I look back at my face in old pics and IRL :sdeek:

You are going to lose like 40 pounds and be chilling poolside with dlew by summer

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #3092 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »

Not at all an authority here, but to this point every sciency thing I’ve read says cardio is actually a pretty terrible way to lose weight. BUT... it is still pretty good for your heart and lungs, so there is that if you wanna be healthy and not just slimmer.

Of course, if you have the discipline for it, circuit training is a good compromise. But in my experience muscle gains come much quicker with straight lifting (this could be because I’m lazy and don’t do circuits well).

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Exercise is important but diet is even more important.  You can exercise hard every day but it you eat like crap it isn't going to make you lose weight.  Really if you just use portion control you can still eat about whatever you want.
This is wrong btw. Really matters on the person. Also, lol at eating whatever you want. I have 5 personal trainers in my family and this is definitely not the suggestion they give. Stick to something and have a cheat day on the weekend. I eat low carb, high protein, and don't leave the gym until i'm down 700-800 calories per day during the week. Usually take Friday and Sundays off from the gym. Down 15 lbs and started 6 weeks ago. Back at my wedding weight. I might shed 10 more and then start lifting hard.

The Big Train

« Reply #3094 on: February 07, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
This is wrong btw. Really matters on the person. Also, lol at eating whatever you want. I have 5 personal trainers in my family and this is definitely not the suggestion they give. Stick to something and have a cheat day on the weekend. I eat low carb, high protein, and don't leave the gym until i'm down 700-800 calories per day during the week. Usually take Friday and Sundays off from the gym. Down 15 lbs and started 6 weeks ago. Back at my wedding weight. I might shed 10 more and then start lifting hard.

It’s not, btw. Go back and read the discussions Dlew12 and I had last year about naturally slim.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: February 07, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
Welp, case closed then!

The Big Train

« Reply #3096 on: February 07, 2018, 08:34:16 AM »
:D

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
 :eye:

I still think these are the top 3:

1. Genetics
2. Diet
3. Gym

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: February 07, 2018, 08:50:36 AM »

The two owners/trainers of the gym I go to basically preach this. According to them, when you strength train, your body continues to burn calories for FAR, FAR longer after your workout than with cardio. Additionaly, simply having more muscle requires your body to burn more calories. They do, however, throw in a very modest amount of cardio, too.

I lift and run because nothing keeps me slimmer than running. I personally don't want to be too bulky, even if totally yoked.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: February 07, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
I walk a few miles 3 times a week and do a sprint workout once a week or so.  Nothing will cut you up like sprinting will.