Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135281 times)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #575 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
I'm afraid I cannot ignore the gloves.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »

I'm more of a wood guy than a car guy. Moving parts made of steel and grime? No thanks. But I have built like 4 decks

Designing and building a deck is very fun handymanning.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
Nice job doc.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
I'm afraid I cannot ignore the gloves.

You can be at ease, the gloves are no longer there.

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
Busted torsion spring on garage door yesterday.  Called a company I found on Angie's List/BBB.  He showed up the same morning and was done in like twenty minutes.  Works like a dream.  Pewpewpew -- handyman-ed!

I don't think calling a handyman counts as handymanning.  That's more like stevedaving.
Def stevedaving
Fuuuuuuuck working on those torsion springs, worst DIY thing I attempted.  Everything was fixed at the end, but I legitimately could have die multiple times because I was a dumbass.

Tried fixing my garages tension spring once. Almost died. The ratchet flew out of my hand with such force that I couldn't feel my hand for 15 minutes. Lucky the ratchet flew away from my head and not towards it. Would have likely killed me. My dad was hiding behind a door as I did it. Guess he was smarter than me.

Never again will I try that crap.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 12, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
I've been handyman-ing my face off for the last few months.
Before

during

during

after

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
That's like level 10 handyman-ness there.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 12, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
I really like the light uppers and the dark lowers.  I need to redo my whole kitchen.  Don't know how though.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 12, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
On a handyman-ness scale of 1 - KCFDcat, how hard is it to put in new countertops?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
Depends on what kind

If you're doing stone or something, just let the company do it. They can take a freaking exact autocad plot of your cabinets and cut it with the computer and then it fits exactly and also it's heavy as eff and they have to carry it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 12, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »
On a handyman-ness scale of 1 - KCFDcat, how hard is it to put in new countertops?

it's super easy b/c you pay for countertops and 99.9% of the time that price includes installation.

countertops were the only thing I didn't handyman on this project. I even built the cabinets myself.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »

Depends on if you have access to buy countertops at contractor price or not.

Typically, the countertop folks come out and take all sorts of measurements with a fancy machine then go back and actually manufacturer the countertop at their shop to exactly fit your space. When I replaced mine, I had about 1/4" change in elevation over the 16' length, so the countertop (quartz in my case) was machined to be slightly thicker on one end so it sat level on the top of the cabinets. From the front and top, you can't tell at all, but behind the bullnose, there is some change in depth so it fits perfectly.

To make a long story short, order countertops directly through the manufacturer (I always use Top Master, Inc out of KC) and not Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You'll get a much better price and service.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 12, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

:cool:

I also renovated a bathroom and master bedroom. Did a lot of foundation repair, replaced 100% electrical (was old knob and tube) and replaced the plumbing, including the sewer line to the street.

Super glad to be done with all of it.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »

Typically, the countertop folks come out and take all sorts of measurements with a fancy machine then go back and actually manufacturer the countertop at their shop to exactly fit your space. When I replaced mine, I had about 1/4" change in elevation over the 16' length, so the countertop (quartz in my case) was machined to be slightly thicker on one end so it sat level on the top of the cabinets. From the front and top, you can't tell at all, but behind the bullnose, there is some change in depth so it fits perfectly.

To make a long story short, order countertops directly through the manufacturer (I always use Top Master, Inc out of KC) and not Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You'll get a much better price and service.

we got quartz for this project and the cheapest we found was through Nebraska Furniture Mart. about 10% cheaper than top master. Even though top master installs for them, NFM must get some huge discount.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »

I also renovated a bathroom and master bedroom. Did a lot of foundation repair, replaced 100% electrical (was old knob and tube) and replaced the plumbing, including the sewer line to the street.

How is it you know how to do those things?  As I've written before, this thread is a river of lies. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »

How is it you know how to do those things?  As I've written before, this thread is a river of lies.

I was a carpenter for 4 years.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »

So.  Who taught you?  It isn't intuitive. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
bathroom during (i forgot to take before pics)

after

after

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »

So.  Who taught you?  It isn't intuitive.

A master carpenter, I was his apprentice for 18 months, he also taught me sign language since he was deaf...plus you learn a lot from working with other trades and such.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
KCFDcat, I'm sorry to out you, but that isn't even the same kitchen in your pictures. THE DOOR OPENS IN THE OTHER DIRECTION IN THE 'AFTER' PHOTO.
You liar liar pants on fire.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 12, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
KCFDcat, I'm sorry to out you, but that isn't even the same kitchen in your pictures. THE DOOR OPENS IN THE OTHER DIRECTION IN THE 'AFTER' PHOTO.

Gonna win 'em all!

I had to switch the way the door swings when I put a new door in so the new drawer would open. If I didn't switch the swing the doorknob would have stopped the drawer from opening.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
nice work KCFD.   

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

I had to switch the way the door swings when I put a new door in so the new drawer would open. If I didn't switch the swing the doorknob would have stopped the drawer from opening.
BS!!!!!! LIES!!!!!!

(Really outstanding work!)

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 12, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »

we got quartz for this project and the cheapest we found was through Nebraska Furniture Mart. about 10% cheaper than top master. Even though top master installs for them, NFM must get some huge discount.

Really? What brand of quartz did they install? Were you getting contractor pricing through Top Master or retail pricing?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 12, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »

Really? What brand of quartz did they install? Were you getting contractor pricing through Top Master or retail pricing?
Hanstone is the brand I think...

It was contractor pricing from top master, if I remember right Nfm was having a deal on that brand of quartz. It was installed back in June so the details are fuzzy.