Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192054 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
Yeah, you gotta be the alpha dog or they will act out in all sorts of ways.  Little dogs usually have a higher incidence of this because people think it's cute when they do crap that would earn a big dog an ass beating.  And most people's problems with dogs stem from them not exercising their dogs enough.  My aunt's boxer is a rough ridin' spaz because she never walks it and he stays in a crate all day during work/school hours.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
Yeah, you gotta be the alpha dog or they will act out in all sorts of ways.  Little dogs usually have a higher incidence of this because people think it's cute when they do crap that would earn a big dog an ass beating.  And most people's problems with dogs stem from them not exercising their dogs enough.  My aunt's boxer is a rough ridin' spaz because she never walks it and he stays in a crate all day during work/school hours.

yeah, this is where my job comes in handy, I'm home for 48 straight hours and at work for just 24. So when I'm home he's never in his kennel, unless I go out for something. and when I'm at work, he's only in his kennel until the wife gets home from work, then she usually takes him for a run or something.

Also, he's pretty good about entertaining himself in the backyard. He will just run in circles for 20-30 minutes, then come inside and sleep for 4-5 hours. then repeat.

Even though I'm technically breaking the law by having him in the city, I've never had any problems. I even walked him right by some animal control people a few months ago, and they just told me he was a good looking dog.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »
Pitt bulls are rough ridin' hideous, no idea why anyone would want one.  KCFDcat are you black? I heard on the news (re: Mike Vick dog fighting) that black people like to get mean dogs for street cred.  Please confirm or deny.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
Pitt bulls are rough ridin' hideous, no idea why anyone would want one.  KCFDcat are you black? I heard on the news (re: Mike Vick dog fighting) that black people like to get mean dogs for street cred.  Please confirm or deny.

am very white. also, pitbulls=adorable.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »
Thought about adopting a pit, there's a shitload of them out there.  But then I remembered that I don't like dogs that will occasionally freak out and maul a kid.

never had a problem in 4 years. the key is to be responsible, I never let him be around new people without me there, especially kids.  But really, he loves kids just licks the crap out of their faces.

my buddy has a lab and that thing scares me way more than my pit ever has

I think that most pit bulls are pretty nice dogs. The problem is that a larger than average percentage of them are pretty aggressive, and they can rip your face off.

It's all about ownership. A pitbull needs an owner that it can look to for guidance and to be strong, if you can't do this then you probably shouldn't be getting any kind of dog. just imho

Not all dogs are the same. Sometimes nature wins the nature vs nurture battle.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
Thought about adopting a pit, there's a shitload of them out there.  But then I remembered that I don't like dogs that will occasionally freak out and maul a kid.

never had a problem in 4 years. the key is to be responsible, I never let him be around new people without me there, especially kids.  But really, he loves kids just licks the crap out of their faces.

my buddy has a lab and that thing scares me way more than my pit ever has

I think that most pit bulls are pretty nice dogs. The problem is that a larger than average percentage of them are pretty aggressive, and they can rip your face off.

It's all about ownership. A pitbull needs an owner that it can look to for guidance and to be strong, if you can't do this then you probably shouldn't be getting any kind of dog. just imho

Not all dogs are the same. Sometimes nature wins the nature vs nurture battle.

true, but it has historically been considered a defect if a pit is human aggressive, meaning they don't allow that dog to breed. obviously lately irresponsible breeders have not upheld this. but, if you get a dog from a reputable breeder with a proven bloodline it really shouldn't be a problem

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »
Dachsunds.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »
Dachsunds.

They are really ugly when they aren't adorable puppies.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:20 PM »
Hmm...Let me think about that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
I respectfully disagree.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
Labs or bust.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »
My mom always had dachshunds when I was growing up.  Good little dogs, except with small kids.   I want something a little big though.  Kinda digging border collies right now. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »
My mom always had dachshunds when I was growing up.  Good little dogs, except with small kids.   I want something a little big though.  Kinda digging border collies right now. 
Really?  I always had them growing up.  Sister has one with 3 girls all below the age of 5. No problems.

For a bigger dog I'm with Stevesie. Labs or Bust.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »
They can be snippy with young kids.  Not gonna do anything terrible, just nip a face or something.  My mom's lhaso apso was the same was.  My nieces/nephew can do anything they want to my pugs and they don't give a crap, the most they will do is get up and move somewhere else.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
Dachsunds.

This isn't really the best talking point. All dogs are kind of ugly, when you get down to it. Especially short-haired dogs that don't shed as much.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
My dogs are ugly as crap and they don't smell all that great but they were cute as hell when they were puppies.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
I don't really care for animals one way or the other, but Dachsunds are by far my least favorite dog breed.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
I don't really care for animals one way or the other, but Dachsunds are by far my least favorite dog breed.
Man, I can't imagine why anyone would think that.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:29 AM »
They are just weirdly shaped.

And all the ones I've ever known were really mean.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:19 AM »
Adopt bad person

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
Had a brittany growing up, probably would need to be more active than you would like but they are a good breed.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Pit bulls are terrible.  They are like the Juggalos of the canine world.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Been looking at some animal rescues' available dogs-  I'll probably go that route.  Getting a young lab or something like that would be fine with me.  It's not like I'm going to breed the dog, so it doesn't have to even be a purebreed.  Not real big on having to actually see a bunch of those dogs in person, some of them are pretty sad looking anf I would probably want to adopt all of them.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
They are just weirdly shaped.

And all the ones I've ever known were really mean.
Mean and dumb.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »
Get a boxer.  Do not crop the ears.