Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192076 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dogs
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
In the market for a new puppy.  He/she is just gonna hang out so I don't need some hunting dog or anything but I am willing to pay for a solid pedigree.  Thinking english or french bulldog, boxer, or maybe a labradoodle.  No allergies or anything but I would like a dog who doesn't shed a ton.  Medium sized backyard but I will walk him every day.  Any suggestos on breeds or breeders?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
German Shepherd or siberian husky

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »
what do you like to do with your dog?  how interactive do you want it to be?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:04:39 AM »
I'll take him on walks and to the park to play, stuff like that.  Other than that, I'm leaning towards a couch potato type than isn't crazy hyper indoors.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
I'll take him on walks and to the park to play, stuff like that.  Other than that, I'm leaning towards a couch potato type than isn't crazy hyper indoors.

thoughts on taking a five year old pure bread who pretty much fits you description? also would have to have some kind of signed contract that you wouldn't randomly freak out some weak and stab and kill him because i have some concern that you might do something like that.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:25 AM »

If you don't have a solid idea of what you want, it should take at least a few weeks to decide.  You're going to be spending a ton of time and money on it so you should take a good look at a lot of breeds and their downsides since they all have them.

I love English bulldogs but you should do a lot of research on their respiratory issues, exercise limitations, general smelliness, etc.  Boxers and Labradoodles are both good choices, but make sure you have enough time to deal with their energy.  With a lot of dogs, just walking them won't actually tire them out like you'd think.  My plan with my German Shepherd was to walk or run her at least once a day.  Turns out that does almost nothing to release her energy so I now have to play frisbee with her 5-6 times a day to keep her satisfied.  I work at home and spend 24 hours a day with her so it works well for me (gets me out of my chair) but just something to consider.

Based on what you said you may want to look into soft coated wheaten terriers.

http://www.scwtca.org/

Are you opposed to smaller dogs?  That would open up the "couch potato" list.  Also, think about whether you really need a puppy since almost any breed you get will be pretty hyper the first few years.  You might be surprised what they have at the manhattan pound.  Every time I go in there I find a few dogs that I would take home with me if I had the room.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
I would recommend a basenji, aka the African Bush Dog or the Congo Dog. They don't bark and are pretty sweet.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
I would recommend a basenji, aka the African Bush Dog or the Congo Dog. They don't bark and are pretty sweet.

ugly

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »

ugly

They don't bark. With any other breed, you run a severe risk of getting some annoying dog that never shuts up when you leave it alone.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
Thought about going the rescue route but the whole puppy phase is pretty sweet and I'd hate to miss it.  I've had 2 pugs for over 10 yrs, so I've been dealing with most of the health issues you mentioned.  I'd get another pug but I'm pretty tired of how much they shed, it's incredible.  They're both pretty old though so I thought I'd go ahead and get a puppy before too long so it can grow up with other dogs, for the socialization aspect.  Also discovered french bulldogs recently, my neighbor's frenchie is pretty freaking badass.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Have 2 boxers. They are the crap. Athletic dingbats with loads of personality. They tend to have heart and tumor problems so they don't live as long as some other breeds.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »
Would love to get a Rhosdesian Ridgeback, so it could jog with me but those SOBs need to run like 5 miles every day or they get anxious and tear crap up.  I run most days but not every day and not 5 miles every day.  I'll be damned if I'm getting up to run 5 miles on a Sunday.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:44 AM »
Bulldog sounds perfect for you.  But as stated above, please research heavily as they are expensive to keep healthy, but worth every penny.  They're just loyal class clowns who want nothing more than to make you smile.  Pups are pretty much like kids though, lots of time and money.  And remember, they don't like heat, or cold, or exercise.... kind of like a temperature sensitive couch potato.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 02:05:32 AM »
Yeah, my pugs are the same way.  I can't take them out during the heat of the day for more than a few minutes and they flat out refuse to be out in the cold for more than absolutely necessary.  I do take them for a walk every day but it's just around the block, that's all they can handle.  Those little guys constantly have ear infections or something else, plus they have to be deshedded and groomed every month.  Shits expensive but it's worth it.  Plus, I don't have any kids yet so I may as well spend my money on dogs.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 02:06:43 AM »
A boxer is definitely on my short list as well.  My aunt's boxer is cool as hell.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
I have a rhodesian ridgeback. Get one of those.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
My advice is always get a mutt.  Purebreds are for suckers.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
Yes to mutts. And don't be an bad person, go rescue a dog.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
have a pitbull. love the crap out of it. but, I wasn't one of those guys that really wanted a pitbull, just happened that way.

They are really great dogs, pretty smart, fairly energetic but also have no problem just chillin on the couch for hours.  My only complaint is last year he tore his cruciate ligament and that cost about 3 grand to get fixed.

Really easy to train, never barks, cute as hell especially during the puppy stage.

would highly recommend them

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
Thought about adopting a pit, there's a shitload of them out there.  But then I remembered that I don't like dogs that will occasionally freak out and maul a kid.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
Thought about adopting a pit, there's a shitload of them out there.  But then I remembered that I don't like dogs that will occasionally freak out and maul a kid.

never had a problem in 4 years. the key is to be responsible, I never let him be around new people without me there, especially kids.  But really, he loves kids just licks the crap out of their faces.

my buddy has a lab and that thing scares me way more than my pit ever has

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't get a dog that people are going to be afraid of. Mutts are pretty hit and miss. They are great when you get a good one, though. Collies are pretty smart. Retrievers are great if you don't mind the shedding. I like Basenji's, but they are kind of like cats, so I can see why some people don't like them. Boxers are pretty good dogs when you are around, but I don't know anybody that has a boxer that's not a real shithead when it gets left alone. Never get a Chihuahua or Poodle. I also hate Dalmatians with a passion.

Just my 2 cents.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »

never had a problem in 4 years. the key is to be responsible, I never let him be around new people without me there, especially kids.  But really, he loves kids just licks the crap out of their faces.

I think that most pit bulls are pretty nice dogs. The problem is that a larger than average percentage of them are pretty aggressive, and they can rip your face off.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't get a dog that people are going to be afraid of. Mutts are pretty hit and miss. They are great when you get a good one, though. Collies are pretty smart. Retrievers are great if you don't mind the shedding. I like Basenji's, but they are kind of like cats, so I can see why some people don't like them. Boxers are pretty good dogs when you are around, but I don't know anybody that has a boxer that's not a real shithead when it gets left alone. Never get a Chihuahua or Poodle. I also hate Dalmatians with a passion.

Just my 2 cents.

crate-train?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

I think that most pit bulls are pretty nice dogs. The problem is that a larger than average percentage of them are pretty aggressive, and they can rip your face off.

It's all about ownership. A pitbull needs an owner that it can look to for guidance and to be strong, if you can't do this then you probably shouldn't be getting any kind of dog. just imho