Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting  (Read 24573 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent Fasting
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
Heard about this from a 60 year old guy.  Him and his wife eat 500 calories two days per week and said they have been feeling great and have lost over 20 pounds each doing it (and they are not completely out of shape to begin with).

Basically like controlled anorexia, right?

What did they typically eat on their 500 calorie days?

Not sure, didn't ask.  Offered the guy a beer and he said no and went on explaining why.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
digestion is very hard on your body, the less you do if it, the better

i eat two meals a day, lunch (medium size meal) and dinner (small meal).  sometimes i stop by chick fil a for a breakfast every now and then 
and i'm rough ridin' ripped to the point that i have to cut my t-shirt arm holes because they cut the circulation off to my arms #namaste

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Heard about this from a 60 year old guy.  Him and his wife eat 500 calories two days per week and said they have been feeling great and have lost over 20 pounds each doing it (and they are not completely out of shape to begin with).

Basically like controlled anorexia, right?

Yeah, that's not what this is. I don't lose weight, nor is that the goal. If I wanted to lose weight, it would be pretty rough ridin' simple; eat a few less calories than I burn each day. Boom, I'm losing weight.

Not sure where the hostility is from.  I understand caloric balance.  I was just explaining an experience of intermittent fasting that I heard and their results compared to traditional weight loss ideas.. I could care less about your goal.

No hostility buddy. I just get a little fired up about this stuff

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
Actually, the studies that showed how important it was to eat breakfast are now being challenged, and with success. Not only were they poorly done, and done many years ago, new studies are showing the opposite.

link? (not challenging/questioning, I'd just like to read it.)

I don't think skipping a healthy breakfast is good for you, I think that the things being pushed as breakfast foods are bad for you. Sugary cereal, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, waffles, etc. I think studies are now showing that it really doesn't have much of an effect (skipping or not), with the assumption being that you're eating something healthy to start your day.

I know Cracked is more of a comedy site than anything, but this is a good starting point. I had stayed skinny easiest during the time in my life in which I skipped breakfast, so I always thought it was true. Not to mention, when I was trying to lose weight and my wife was trying to gain weight we were both told to do the "lots of small meals in a day" method, so I knew it was flawed. When I read this on Cracked I started investigating more. Here's the Cracked link with a couple others.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19296_6-lies-about-human-body-you-learned-in-kindergarten_p6.html

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/health/breakfast-myths/

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
Amoint of calories and quality of calories is by far the most important thing. Time of day, frequency, these things don't matter nearly as much as we thought. I could link a million things but it would be easier if everyone just trusted me.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »
I should have said composition of those calories instead of quality

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
benja, as the topic expert, does not need to link stuff for me to trust him on these things

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
benja, as the topic expert, does not need to link stuff for me to trust him on these things

:party:

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
I once had an involuntary 70+ hour fast after losing my gear (including food) on a whitewater canoe trip.  Found a Sonic after we got off the river, and it was the most heavenly meal I've ever had, but still could not finish a shake, burger, and fries without feeling really sick. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »
Actually, the studies that showed how important it was to eat breakfast are now being challenged, and with success. Not only were they poorly done, and done many years ago, new studies are showing the opposite. The idea of jump starting your metabolism with calories (in oppose to physical activity) is pretty silly. Even the idea of metabolism is something we don't really understand. That's why the idea of small meals every 3 hours is laughable, because no matter how many calories you eat in one sitting you're going to use 10% of them for digestion, whether those 2500 calories come all at once or in a bunch of small meals throughout the day.
Let me know how your fasted cardio helps with your strength gains...

I said it was for cutting.

You're so emo
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:43 PM »
I once had an involuntary 70+ hour fast after losing my gear (including food) on a whitewater canoe trip.  Found a Sonic after we got off the river, and it was the most heavenly meal I've ever had, but still could not finish a shake, burger, and fries without feeling really sick.

Didn't you have friends that had food as well? 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
giving this a go, basically just not eating until noon every day and then stopping by 8 pm, so, 16-8.

i'm intrigued by all the bad ass benefits i keep reading/watching about. biggest challenge is making it work with my exercise schedule, because i'd like to avoid working out then not having any calories for hours afterward.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
giving this a go, basically just not eating until noon every day and then stopping by 8 pm, so, 16-8.

i'm intrigued by all the bad ass benefits i keep reading/watching about. biggest challenge is making it work with my exercise schedule, because i'd like to avoid working out then not having any calories for hours afterward.

You are doing it every day?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

This is pretty much how I've operated for as long as I can remember.  It's just skipping breakfast.

I did a 48 hour fast last spring.  Now that was interesting.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »
You are doing it every day?

right now, yes. if it's good enough for terry crews it's good enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_99QcCTzE

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

did it hurt?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

did it hurt?
It didn't hurt really.  After about the first half day I didn't really feel all that hungry anymore.  Stomach stopped growling, etc.  I thought about food for literally 48 hours straigtht, however.  Waking up after not eating dinner and knowing that you weren't going to be eating at all that day was weirdly depressing.

It was more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
Last spring I did 2 days a week of only like 100 calories. Wasn't too bad but didn't seem to change anything.

The Big Train

« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2018, 12:38:58 PM »
So did you guys just pound water all day or was that forbidden too?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »

This is pretty much how I've operated for as long as I can remember.  It's just skipping breakfast.

same.  it's great.  breakfast, despite what the government has lied to us about, is not the most important meal of the day, especially so when you consider what people shove in their pie holes in the morning and call breakfast.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »

I did this recently and you gotta drink lots of water.  First, you are already getting less water that you would normally get from food.  It also helps a lot with hunger and keeping your body functioning right.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
Fasts are great, it’s pretty crazy how easy and plentiful food  has become in modern society that people will literally meltdown if they have to go more than 4 hours without food.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »

I did this recently and you gotta drink lots of water.  First, you are already getting less water that you would normally get from food.  It also helps a lot with hunger and keeping your body functioning right.
Flavoring the water helped (limes and such)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
i pound water and coffee pretty hard from 8 am to noon.