Author Topic: Let's talk about music in the 00's  (Read 14180 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about music in the 00's
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
only people like my mom still have digital copies of songs. it's todays huge ass CD folder.

maybe SD missed it but this is a thread to REMINISCE ABOUT THE 00's!  :curse:

yeah, wasn't directing that at anyone. actually maybe directing it at college sd when I thought I'd always have this enormous server full of every song ever made and how great it was going to be. when I upgraded my last PC I actually didn't even take the time to move the roughly 500GB of music. just let it burn. young me would have been :sdeek:

Yeah, I'm about to purge all but my very favorites.

It kind of sucks though, because downloading a bunch of MP3's from blogs is still my favorite way to discover new music with minimal effort, and it's becoming more and more rare. I can't listen to your stupid soundcloud embeds on a flight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
only people like my mom still have digital copies of songs. it's todays huge ass CD folder.

maybe SD missed it but this is a thread to REMINISCE ABOUT THE 00's!  :curse:

yeah, wasn't directing that at anyone. actually maybe directing it at college sd when I thought I'd always have this enormous server full of every song ever made and how great it was going to be. when I upgraded my last PC I actually didn't even take the time to move the roughly 500GB of music. just let it burn. young me would have been :sdeek:

Yeah, I'm about to purge all but my very favorites.

It kind of sucks though, because downloading a bunch of MP3's from blogs is still my favorite way to discover new music with minimal effort, and it's becoming more and more rare. I can't listen to your stupid soundcloud embeds on a flight.

gogo, tho

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

:frown:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
i threw my last couple of cds away the other day.  i can't help but think about all of the money i could have saved by not buying them in high school. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
i threw my last couple of cds away the other day.  i can't help but think about all of the money i could have saved by not buying them in high school.

for a long time it was the only option available. I could have saved shitloads of money not buying or paying for tons of fun stuff.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
hindsight is 20/20 or whatever.

i think my biggest waste of money in my entire life might have been the sega dreamcast

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Nelly was a banger during my formative childhood years. I guess this is potentially Shame Yourself material, but I was fairly young and I guess I don't really care.
Nellyville :thumbs:

MB20 is a 90's band but they had a couple hits in early '00's

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
O.A.R.
OAR pumped out 5 albums over the decade.  I went to 7 OAR concerts during that time period.

Soul's Aflame (2000):  Goes ahead and kicks off the decade in style with "City on Down," "Untitled," "So Moved On," "Night Shift," "I Feel Home," and "Hey Girl."  Is this the most quality OAR cd of all time?  Probably!

Risen (2001): Another cd a year later. Four of the songs were already recorded on earlier albums.  Notable new ones though, are "Delicate Few," "King of the Thing," and "Here's to You."  Overall, very meh.  Especially when compared with Soul's Aflame.

In Between Now and Then (2003):  "Risen" is on this album and not the one before it, titled "Risen."  "Right on Time" is probably my favorite OAR song ever.  Some people like "Dareh Meyod," but I think it's trash.  "Whose Chariot" and "Anyway" are decent. They release the song "Hey Girl" on the third consecutive studio album.  What the hell? 

Stories of a Stranger (2005):  This is the first OAR cd I bought when it came out.  The other stuff I more or less discovered retroactively.  So this was a big deal for me.  I hate "Heard the World," but everyone seems to like it.  I just think it sucks.  Sorry.  Not so fast with you "hipster" accusations though, because I adore "Love and Memories," and it's super popular and cheesy.  I've always been conflicted with the song "Lay Down."  They used to just play it at live shows, and I loved it, then they made it in the studio and sped it up a whole bunch and changed the entire spirit of the song.  It's still good, but I liked it more when it was more of a slow, jazzy thing.  Program Director Daylight the Dog is the worst song OAR has ever done.  52-50 is solid.

All Sides (2008):  Oh boy.  Senior in High School Dlew was excited for this one.  "This Town" is popular, but i was very meh about it.  Not my favorite.  I don't hate it.  Just doesn't really do much for me.  Shattered is my favorite single from the album.  "What is Mine" is a solid addition.  "Dinner Last Night" is very, very good.  Probably top 10 for me.   "War Song" is the best OAR song post-2003.  "On My Way" is ok.

Just after all sides was released, they played Sandstone.  Me, BaldRugbyCat and a couple other Aquinas kids camped out at Sandstone the night before so we could be the first ones in.  Nobody else showed up the next day until about 4:30 in the afternoon.  We were so stupid.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:03:37 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
the rap scene was soo much flossier then..
country grammar is still one of my fav rap albums of all time..

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »
Just after all sides was released, they played Sandstone.  Me, BaldRugbyCat and a couple other Aquinas kids camped out at Sandstone the night before so we could be the first ones in.  Nobody else showed up the next day until about 4:30 in the afternoon.  We were so stupid.

:lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
O.A.R.
OAR pumped out 5 albums over the decade.  I went to 7 OAR concerts during that time period.

Soul's Aflame (2000):  Goes ahead and kicks off the decade in style with "City on Down," "Untitled," "So Moved On," "Night Shift," "I Feel Home," and "Hey Girl."  Is this the most quality OAR cd of all time?  Probably!

Risen (2001): Another cd a year later. Four of the songs were already recorded on earlier albums.  Notable new ones though, are "Delicate Few," "King of the Thing," and "Here's to You."  Overall, very meh.  Especially when compared with Soul's Aflame.

In Between Now and Then (2003):  "Risen" is on this album and not the one before it, titled "Risen."  "Right on Time" is probably my favorite OAR song ever.  Some people like "Dareh Meyod," but I think it's trash.  "Whose Chariot" and "Anyway" are decent. They release the song "Hey Girl" on the third consecutive studio album.  What the hell? 

Stories of a Stranger (2005):  This is the first OAR cd I bought when it came out.  The other stuff I more or less discovered retroactively.  So this was a big deal for me.  I hate "Heard the World," but everyone seems to like it.  I just think it sucks.  Sorry.  Not so fast with you "hipster" accusations though, because I adore "Love and Memories," and it's super popular and cheesy.  I've always been conflicted with the song "Lay Down."  They used to just play it at live shows, and I loved it, then they made it in the studio and sped it up a whole bunch and changed the entire spirit of the song.  It's still good, but I liked it more when it was more of a slow, jazzy thing.  Program Director Daylight the Dog is the worst song OAR has ever done.  52-50 is solid.

All Sides (2008):  Oh boy.  Senior in High School Dlew was excited for this one.  "This Town" is popular, but i was very meh about it.  Not my favorite.  I don't hate it.  Just doesn't really do much for me.  Shattered is my favorite single from the album.  "What is Mine" is a solid addition.  "Dinner Last Night" is very, very good.  Probably top 10 for me.   "War Song" is the best OAR song post-2003.  "On My Way" is ok.

I still can't believe James Cromwell was in Star Trek

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »

BaldRugbyCat

He would be a fantastic poster
:adios:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »

BaldRugbyCat

He would be a fantastic poster

He'd add a whole new dimension to the Joe Montgomery Birther Pit

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
O man, had never heard of OAR until I got to Kstate.

It was pretty much all we listened to during pregame's and afterhours my freshman and sophomore year.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
St. Anger was released in 2003. It's Metallica's second worst studio album (Death Magnetic)

what in the eff? you'd rather listen to st anger than death magnetic?

They both suck. I don't want to listen to either of them.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
then, like now, i mainly listened to old school RAP MUSIC. 

i like kat kid's Jay-Z / blueprint suggesto, would also include outcast/stankonia

gaga released fame monster in 2009, which to me was a very iconic record. 

NOW that's what I call music

i still have this one

never got into a lot of the 2000s music like the white stripes and crap like that. seemed stupid.  pretty shitty decade for music.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
The 00's were better for music than any decade previous. (and the '10s are even better!)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
St. Anger was released in 2003. It's Metallica's second worst studio album (Death Magnetic)

what in the eff? you'd rather listen to st anger than death magnetic?

They both suck. I don't want to listen to either of them.

i think DM is very good  :don'tcare:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
The 00's were better for music than any decade previous. (and the '10s are even better!)

interesting if true...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »

yep

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »
guster

My sisters were guster fans long before I ever was.  The first concert I ever went to was a dual headliner show featuring OAR and Guster at the uptown (sponsored by 97.3 The Planet).  I went for OAR, my sisters (who were old enough to drive at that point) went to see Guster.  Guster played first, and from that point on, I was a Guster fan.  Guster's best album was 1999's Lost and Gone Forever, but this is a 00's thread, so I'll stick to their work from that decade.  Notably, my second favorite album was Parachute, which nobody really likes, but that came out all the way back in '95, so that's really out of bounds.

Keep It Together (2003): 
Probably my third favorite album.  It's a long album and is packed with dynamite songs.  "Diane" is great.  "Careful" is probably a top 5 Guster track for me.  "Amsterdam" might be Guster's most well known song.  It rocks, but it lacks some of the depth of some of their other songs for me.  Homecoming King is pretty good and definitely appealed to angsty high-schooler Dlew.  "Jesus on the Radio" is a popular song among Guster fans, but never really did much for me.  "Keep it Together" (the song) is fine, not my favorite.  High School Girlfriend loved it though.  "Come Downstairs and Say Hello" is the best Guster song I've ever heard.  The part where it goes "Be calm. Be brave.  It'll be okay," where it picks up is incredible.  Gives me chills every time I hear it.  "Red Oyster Cult" is a classic.  "Long Way Down" is a song that I didn't really appreciate until years after the album came out.  The whistle part always gets me.   "I Hope Tomorrow is Like Today," is a sweet little diddy.  I think it may have been featured on the OST for Wedding Crashers?  But I think some one else sang it for the movie?  Anyhow, it's good.  "Two at a Time" a song about Noah's Ark?  Yep.  That's another I didn't appreciate until I was older.  All in all, KIT was a great album.

Ganging Up On The Sun (2006)
I was very excited for this one.  I bought it when I was on vacation with my family.  Pretty much listened to this album exclusively during my time at the top of the forensics circuit (dramatic interpretation...2nd in the state).  This album was a little more political than the others, which I wasn't wild about, but hey, new Guster music is new Guster music.  Let's get to the songs though.
   "Lightning Rod" is a sad, slow song.  Very good though. 
   Did I say "Amsterdam" was the most popular Guster song?  Because "Satellite" might be the best known.  They played it on the Buzz a whole lot.  It was fine, but didn't seem like a Guster song.  Didn't really fit their style imo. 
  "Manifest Destiny" was solid, but probably the most political.  I didn't care.  I loved it.  The part where they say "The moon and the stars are ganging up on the suuuuun, rebelliooooon" was great.  Never really heard much piano featured on Guster tracks.
  "One Man Wrecking Machine" is most famous for being featured in that Disturbia movie.  It had a pretty cool video featuring puppets.  Solid song. 
  "The Captain" is my favorite song on the album.  Bluegrass feel because of the banjos.  The "onward" part at the end was very cool.  A real toe-tapper.  Puts me in a good mood every time I listen to it. 
  "Ruby Falls" was always an interesting number.  Featured weird horns and stuff.  The horn solo at the end was neat, except it probably went on about 4 seconds too long.  Very dreamy feel.

Overall, it was pretty good.  Guster never recaptured Lost and Gone Forever, but KIT and GUOTS came pretty close. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »

yep

I didn't know that, but it's certainly good news.  Glad to hear it. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
I would go as far as to say the '10s are better than all previous decades combined

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »

you're dumb

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
i think the 90's were pretty shitty overall