Author Topic: Amazon Prime  (Read 28384 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Amazon Prime
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
So like, if you join Prime, can you stream all their video for free? Even the HBO shows? That seems like a ridiculous deal.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
yes, if you are the primary Prime account holder you can stream all the Prime Instant Video free.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
I have been meaning to drop my Netflix stream-only membership and do Amazon prime.

I work with a guy who recently did this and says it's great, and it's cheap. 

You can also "rent" new release movies as well, and they are typically cheaper than the cable provider or xbox-live, for example.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
If you still have a K-State email that forwards to you, you can get it for like half price I think.  I did that.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-09-08/tecca-guide-to-amazon-prime/57691570/1

Per this thing, the student thing is now a 6 month trial with no instant video.  I signed up to it for $40 with it being exact same as prime a bit over a year ago

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »
so, I guess you can't stream EVERYTHING for free. But what you can stream for free looks pretty comparable to Netflix.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_hps_bw_clnk?node=2864549011&field-is_prime_benefit=2470955011&page=1&sort=csrank&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1KWDRY6X6WMQ5NRJYXMX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1420106122&pf_rd_i=2676882011

but the ability to rent the HBO shows is pretty sweet. the HBO shows were my biggest hangup to dropping netflix dvd's.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
Its not at all comparable to Netflix. Significantly less free content. I keep forgetting to cancel my prime subscription.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
Both prime and Netflix suck for streaming, but suck equally imo.  The purchased streamed movies and tv is cool though.

I have a student prime account because I enjoy the 2 day shipping and $4 next day shipping.  The streaming and book borrowing are kind of afterthoughts.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
Its not at all comparable to Netflix. Significantly less free content. I keep forgetting to cancel my prime subscription.

hemmy is right.  no where near the content as netflix.  2 day shipping though, i think that's the real draw with prime.  some people buy lots of costco type crap from amazon.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
When the dumbfucks at Amazon and Netflix get their crap together where I can stream any movie they have I will join again.  Their selection of movies for instant streaming sucks. 

Oh, you want to watch a new release?  Let us mail you the DVD/Bluray.  eff that.
@mikec2w

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »
Netflix has more content, and more importantly will be getting the new season of Arrested Development early next year. The 2 day shipping is great with Prime, though, and Prime costs less than Netflix.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Amazon Prime
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Netflix has more content, and more importantly will be getting the new season of Arrested Development early next year. The 2 day shipping is great with Prime, though, and Prime costs less than Netflix.

The Arrested Development will keep me on Netflix.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »
The movie selection on Netflix is really pretty awful. The TV shows are pretty much all I use it for.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
The movie selection on Netflix is really pretty awful. The TV shows are pretty much all I use it for.

Same.

Anyone know when Breaking Bad season 5 or Walking Dead Season 3 will be added to netflix?  Or any alternative ways to watch them?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

Same.

Anyone know when Breaking Bad season 5 or Walking Dead Season 3 will be added to netflix?  Or any alternative ways to watch them?

You can pay to watch them on Amazon.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »

Same.

You can pay to watch them on Amazon.

Yeah, same with ITunes.  Was just checking if there was a way without spending extra.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

Same.

there are thousands of sites that you can watch a show the same night that it aired in HD.  Just be careful what you click on.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »

Same.

there are thousands of sites that you can watch a show the same night that it aired in HD.  Just be careful what you click on.

Any particular ones before you send me into a mine field.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
i always go to tv links.  it's a .eu site, i believe, but google it.

i normally find success watching shows that are linked to putlocker

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
I accidentally got an annual membership, after reading this thread I think I will cancel. They let you cancel if you haven't used it for anything.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
I've been reading the Hunger Games on my Kindle free of charge with Prime. That's nice, if they have something you want to read.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
I've been reading the Hunger Games on my Kindle free of charge with Prime. That's nice, if they have something you want to read.

yeah, thats seems nice. It almost pays for itself with the one free book a month i suppose.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »

Same.

I want to watch it on my roku, not on my computer.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
netflix for tv shows is amazing. I had completely forgot about freaks and geeks, holy balls what a cast and the cameos are ridiculous

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »
netflix for tv shows is amazing. I had completely forgot about freaks and geeks, holy balls what a cast and the cameos are ridiculous
have you watched undeclared yet?