Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 330695 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
Apparently I've got too much of my 401K invested in company stock. I know next to nothing about this. Should I just pay ING $4 a month to manage it?

No, post the fund options available (along with the expense ratios) and we'll choose for you.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
Apparently I've got too much of my 401K invested in company stock. I know next to nothing about this. Should I just pay ING $4 a month to manage it?

No, post the fund options available (along with the expense ratios) and we'll choose for you.

Okay, I have to wait for the company to freaking mail me a password to access the website.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »

what a great idea.   :excited:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 12, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
Also, there will be no voting.  There will only be people that know what they are talking about dispensing advice.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
Yes, post here and michigancat and myself will choose for you.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
currently on hold trying to fix a 401k rollover that got lost. Good god why can't this be an automated process.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
currently on hold trying to fix a 401k rollover that got lost. Good god why can't this be an automated process.

it is automated at non-shitty brokerages

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 12, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »

it is automated at non-shitty brokerages

So I went to JP Morgan where my old plan was, and they had what I thought was an automated rollover form. I filled it out, and they had an option for rolling over to Charles Schwab, my current plan administrator. The problem was they had the wrong address in their system and mailed the check to the wrong Schwab office, who couldn't process it and I guess through it out or something like a bunch of rough ridin' idiots.

So then I call JP Morgan and tell them to cancel the check. They say they can't cancel it unless I mail them a letter with the old check information, the reason the plan wouldn't accept the check, and a signature. Sweet eff. It's 2014 you fucks.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 12, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
Also, there will be no voting.  There will only be people that know what they are talking about dispensing advice.

Well, duh.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
This thread was about to get good a couple of months ago, then something happened.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
metalhead, as you know, i do investing for a living. PM me and i will choose a fund then you can just fly me over to your island to party in like 15 years and well call it even.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 19, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Metalhead- As Tonya's personal financial adviser I "Advise" you to ignore everything he says. I gave him the password to his account once and he sold every stock then and loaded up on Candy Stocks. Seriously, Hershey/Nestle/Tootsie Roll/etc, he had them all.

He thought they would pay their dividends in real physical candy.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
Just found out about this:
www.betterment.com

Basically they invest in vanguard index funds, but they automatically rebalance your account and do tax loss harvesting. They charge rates that are comparable to vanguard as well, probably worth a deeper look
I'm purple down

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 25, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
I'm very confused right now. I called Fidelity and asked them about rolling over my last two companies into my cureent one with Fidelity. They told me to get the checks mailed to me and then send it to them. I think I have them (They don't look like the checks i'm use to) now. Am I just suppose to mail these to fidelity now?  :confused: Why couldn't they do this electronically?  :dunno:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
I'm very confused right now. I called Fidelity and asked them about rolling over my last two companies into my cureent one with Fidelity. They told me to get the checks mailed to me and then send it to them. I think I have them (They don't look like the checks i'm use to) now. Am I just suppose to mail these to fidelity now?  :confused: Why couldn't they do this electronically?  :dunno:

What, did you expect whale treatment?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »

What, did you expect whale treatment?
I don't know. I'm very uneducated in this department. Do I just sign these checks and mail it to fidelity in one of the packets they sent me?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 25, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
Post pics of the checks on this blob and I will advise. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 25, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 25, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

Seems like this could be done electronically to me too, but it isn't. Just send the checks to Fidelity c/o your adviser person you have been talking to. Don't sign them.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »

Seems like this could be done electronically to me too, but it isn't. Just send the checks to Fidelity c/o your adviser person you have been talking to. Don't sign them.
:thumbs: Thanks!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
oil (russia).  it'd be fun to be rich.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Has anyone tried lending club / prosper as a small portion of investment portfolio?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 17, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
UGH!!! I sent two old checks from former companies to fidelity to be rolled over. One of them went through fine (the small check) the other was sent back to my old address cause there was something wrong with the form. I call fidelity and they tell me to call my former employer and cancel that check and order a new one. I do this and my old company tells me that fidelity has already cashed the check and they can't send me a new one. No one knows what's going on or where it is. Just 5K out there floating around and no ones wants to take account for it.  :curse:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
Robin Hood app launched a week ago.  iPhone app that let's you buy and sell stocks for $0 commission.   If you are into that kind of thing. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best