Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135383 times)

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #750 on: August 03, 2016, 08:08:19 AM »
I'll do it.
Plenty of great books plus YouTube. I found a fantastic series on basement finishing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Thanks. I think most of my holdup is that I grew up doing all tasks with my brothers. It is hard for me to get motivated to do things without someone else there to work with.  The ten of us did lots of projects together, but I never was the lead or idea man.  Now that we are all adults those opportunities to work together are few and far in between.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 03, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
I'll do it.
Plenty of great books plus YouTube. I found a fantastic series on basement finishing.

Thanks. I think most of my holdup is that I grew up doing all tasks with my brothers. It is hard for me to get motivated to do things without someone else there to work with.  The ten of us did lots of projects together, but I never was the lead or idea man.  Now that we are all adults those opportunities to work together are few and far in between.
TEN?!?!

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
I'll do it.

TEN?!?!
Yes.  And we have sisters as well.  All single births from same parents. Ridiculous, I know, but it was a great way to grow up.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
So you guys got handy adding on extra bedrooms every 9 months?

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:57 AM »
I appeared near the end of the list, so everything was ready by the time I was born.  And now, I live in a house by myself that is almost as large as the house I grew up in.  I have more bathrooms in my house than we did then. And sometimes I feel crowded!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 03, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
I still haven't fixed the head light.

Also reminded me that my wife took her car in for service and they recommended filter changes, so I ordered filters on Amazon and they sat in the closet for about 6 months because I couldn't remember if they were a PITA the replace or not.  Finally get to it, super easy, and discover that we got a K&N filter that is washable the last time I replaced.  They're not cheap so that was annoying to find out. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
How hard is it to replace a sink?

Specifically a bathroom sink(Really Ugly) and a kitchen sink(Old and small leak) with a garbage disposal underneath.

My previous handyman experience includes Replacing/daisy chaining electrical outlets, painting, putting down stick on tiles, changing light bulbs.

Will I be able to do this successfully by watching a couple youtube videos?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
Yes. It's really easy if you have the right tools for the job, most are. The worst part is working above your head in a cramped space. Assemble as much of the piping and fixtures as you can before dropping it in so that it's less to do later. Don't tighten the drain pipes down all the way though as you'll need to be able to adjust their placement later.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:20:11 AM by Sundance»¤«Kid »

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
How hard is it to replace a sink?

Specifically a bathroom sink(Really Ugly) and a kitchen sink(Old and small leak) with a garbage disposal underneath.

My previous handyman experience includes Replacing/daisy chaining electrical outlets, painting, putting down stick on tiles, changing light bulbs.

Will I be able to do this successfully by watching a couple youtube videos?
Assuming these sinks have been in place for 50+ years I would consider the following

Bathroom - get a whole new countertop with molded in sink or undermount or what have you

Kitchen - find a really big new sink so that the cut out will completely remove anywhere the old sink touched

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
Make a list and queck it twice before heading the the store. A common SdK problem is multiple trips to the hardware store.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 03, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Make a list and queck it twice before heading the the store. A common SdK problem is multiple trips to the hardware store.
I just buy like twice as much plastic pipe as I need so hopefully there is just the two trips, 1 to buy and 1 to return

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »
I just buy like twice as much plastic pipe as I need so hopefully there is just the two trips, 1 to buy and 1 to return
Smart man. Shame myself part: I once put the the U or J? pipe on backwards and it took me a full hour to figure out what the eff. This happened 6 months ago. Don't worry, I'm naked walking through Topeka covered in crap and piss.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Smart man. Shame myself part: I once put the the U or J? pipe on backwards and it took me a full hour to figure out what the eff. This happened 6 months ago. Don't worry, I'm naked walking through Topeka covered in crap and piss.
Thought about it. Definitely a J

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 03, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Trap
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 03, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Trap
It's going down.....then up, then parallel.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 03, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
P trap
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 03, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
I guess I was just plumb wrong!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 03, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 06, 2016, 12:28:56 AM »
The plastic thing under the front bumper (splash guard?) of the Dodge Journey decided to come loose while going 80mph down I-70.  I pulled over on the shoulder and took a look at the sitch.  Got down there and ripped that crap off and proceed to the next town Limon, Co.  Turns out Limon has a free/donation train museum for the kids to run around at while I find some baling wire to secure the plastic crap that was still flapping around under the front fenders.  Pull into the parking lot and spotted some wire hanging on the fence around one of the exhibits.  Snagged that crap and had that fuckin dodge road worthy in 10mins bros. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:43:06 AM by Bloodfart »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 06, 2016, 01:34:16 AM »
that's handy af

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 06, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
Handyman level: 9.9/10

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #771 on: August 06, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »
Full 10/10 if you'd used some duct tape too.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #772 on: August 06, 2016, 07:05:22 PM »
Studs are mostly done. Moving along faster than I expected.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »
I assume you've left a little lip on the bottom plate at the doorways for a jack and header? Did you think about doing a moisture barrier under the base?  Going with topcons or .22 cal death bolts?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »
The plastic thing under the front bumper (splash guard?) of the Dodge Journey decided to come loose while going 80mph down I-70.  I pulled over on the shoulder and took a look at the sitch.  Got down there and ripped that crap off and proceed to the next town Limon, Co.  Turns out Limon has a free/donation train museum for the kids to run around at while I find some baling wire to secure the plastic crap that was still flapping around under the front fenders.  Pull into the parking lot and spotted some wire hanging on the fence around one of the exhibits.  Snagged that crap and had that fuckin dodge road worthy in 10mins bros.

Dodge upgrade
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting