Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135362 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Your ceiling box will be fine if it has been hanging that monstrosity from it for years.

When changing the fan itself, not the dimmer, just turning off the switch is fine.  Puni, I am worried about the possible wiring issues in your house.

no, its a normal thing. i had to look up how to do it since i didnt mark any of the wires when i ripped them apart

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
Yeah, current dimmer/light fixture has been there since like 1980 and the house has not burned down so we should be good. I just noticed it would get warm a couple months ago and figured that was bad.

Thanks guyz!

Can we get a pic of the fixture as you throw it out?  I think that'd be a good idea for a thread:  embarrassing crap in your house you should have replaced a long time ago.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
this thread is a nightmare but i'm excited for the future kind of  :ohno:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 07, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
i am also building a fence. maybe this weekend?!?! I might wait for AJ's postmortem

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 07, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
What are you guys so paranoid about that you need fences? 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »

i dont really like to do it. it wont be a privacy fence. It's because we got a dog.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 07, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
I have two dogs and no fence.  But like I trained them to listen to me and stuff.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
Neighbors. I believe Robert Frost already covered this

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 07, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
I have two dogs and no fence.  But like I trained them to listen to me and stuff.

there are lots of kids and dogs in the neighborhood that dont listen to anybody

maybe it will also help keep deer out of my garden?

maybe it just fulfills my natural human desire to build ?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
Right on man you do you.  :thumbs:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 07, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
spracne, what did robert frost say?

also last weekend we pulled down all the shutters and the front door and repainted them all a better color AND put them back up

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
just get a gun and judge whoever comes onto your lawn

peace of mind

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
spracne, what did robert frost say?

also last weekend we pulled down all the shutters and the front door and repainted them all a better color AND put them back up
Good fences make good neighbors.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
Installing a pre-hung bedroom door for my mom, this weekend, any tips from you classy cats out there?

Also, after its installed and been verified to fit, it needs staining.   What all things besides stain do I need to put on?  Does it need any of that pre-stain?  Will it need a coat of polyurethane, after?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »

Replace the dimmer with a switch.  Two screws and two wires. 

This entire thing will take you like 1hr and roughly 58 min of that will be putting those little rough ridin' screws in wood blade and blade arms, and then screwing the blade arms to the fan motor while in the air, above your head, and making your shoulders feel super weak like that of a 7 yr old girl.
yes, a ratcheting screw driver or even those usually worthless electric screwdrivers are a god send for this
The fan I put up a couple months ago actually had holes in the blades and little knobs on the arms that allowed them to snap in. About 20 seconds per blade. Then the arms snapped into the main hub and had two screws to keep it secure. Piece of cake.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
Installing a pre-hung bedroom door for my mom, this weekend, any tips from you classy cats out there?

Also, after its installed and been verified to fit, it needs staining.   What all things besides stain do I need to put on?  Does it need any of that pre-stain?  Will it need a coat of polyurethane, after?

have you ever hung a door before? what sort of tools do you have? compressor and nail gun? or are you trying to do this with a hammer and nails? Make sure it's level, obviously. keep a long level on the hinges whenever possible, this is key to ensuring it stays open when you want it, etc... make sure you have a lot of shim handy, you'll use more than you think.

you'll just stain it and poly it when you're done. wipe everything down with a damp cloth beforehand to get all the dust off.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »

Replace the dimmer with a switch.  Two screws and two wires. 

This entire thing will take you like 1hr and roughly 58 min of that will be putting those little rough ridin' screws in wood blade and blade arms, and then screwing the blade arms to the fan motor while in the air, above your head, and making your shoulders feel super weak like that of a 7 yr old girl.
yes, a ratcheting screw driver or even those usually worthless electric screwdrivers are a god send for this
The fan I put up a couple months ago actually had holes in the blades and little knobs on the arms that allowed them to snap in. About 20 seconds per blade. Then the arms snapped into the main hub and had two screws to keep it secure. Piece of cake.

My last few had the snap on friction fit arm to blade things, but not arm to hub things.  I can only imagine how great that had to feel

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »

i dont really like to do it. it wont be a privacy fence. It's because we got a dog.

I have an invisible fence.  It keeps my dogs in great.  My dogs are outside at my house right now, with no one home, and they are fine.  Do it all the time.  Pretty great.  Does nothing for deer, though, and neither will your wood privacy fence.  Those fuckers jump really great.   Other dogs, tho.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Very proud of metalhead
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
Doors can be tricky, just make sure things are plumb. Take the door off and shim the bottom of the for the head to be level, then shim /plumb/nail the hinge side. You can put the door back on then to help keep the gaps on the other side consistent.

I would stain the door in a garage. Stain, poly, scuff with fine sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, 2nd coat of poly

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »
Doors can be tricky, just make sure things are plumb. Take the door off and shim the bottom of the for the head to be level, then shim /plumb/nail the hinge side. You can put the door back on then to help keep the gaps on the other side consistent.

I would stain the door in a garage. Stain, poly, scuff with fine sandpaper, wipe off dust with tack cloth, 2nd coat of poly

not saying you're wrong, but I worked as a professional carpenter for 5 years and I was taught to always hang jambs with the door intact (if pre-hung) I've done it both ways and this way always seems easier to me. But, that's what I'm most familiar with.  :th_twocents:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Whoever taught you was probably like 80 years old and enjoyed doing things the hard way

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 07, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »

not saying you're wrong, but I worked as a professional carpenter for 5 years and I was taught to always hang jambs with the door intact (if pre-hung) I've done it both ways and this way always seems easier to me. But, that's what I'm most familiar with.  :th_twocents:
Not saying you two are both wrong but I have never hung a door and never intend to. Get a professional to do it right.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 07, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
I am a professional, gooch :Crybaby: