Author Topic: 2015-16 Bruceketball and things (basketball related) that need to improve  (Read 5765 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure there are a few people still left that still want to talk K-State basketball. A discussion about key areas this team needs to improve seems appropriate at the end of a disappointing season. Feel free to add topics/stats as you see fit.

Topic #1: 2PT%; both sides of the ball.

This is logical as the biggest concern to be fixed because a) half the points in college basketball are scored on 2s and b) K-State was so bad this past year, both offensively and defensively.

This was a problem in the noncon, then the Cats corrected it early in the Big 12, but at the end of the season slipped back to being really bad (besides the KU/ISU week). The defense allowed opponents to shoot 49.5% on 2s for the season, the worst for any oscar coached team by 3%. In Big 12 play it was a slightly better at 48.7%, but still a bad number and only good for 8th in the league. We knew this was a concern when DJamer went out, but there was still some hope at the beginning of the year that maybe Bolden or Hurt could protect the rim, which neither was able to do. Last year's team allowed opponents to shoot only 45.9% (45.7% Big 12) and the only major losses were Southwell and Spradling, so there was reason to believe even without a major shot blocker that we could be decent. However, this simply didn’t happen and as a result K-State ended allowing 49.7% eFG%, the worst we’ve seen at K-State since 2005 and oscar’s worst since he was at Southern Illinois.

The offensive 2PT% was just as bad. The Cats only shot 46.8% on 2s (44.6% in Big 12), the worst for any oscar coached team. Of course, for some reason oscar's K-State teams haven't been great at 2PT% in any season, shooting 46.8% and 48.3% his first 2 years here. His Illinois teams generally shot in the 50s for 2PT% and often finished in the Top 50 nationally. The -2.7% differential in 2PT% this year is the only season a oscar coached team finished in the red on 2PT%. Again, this impacted eFG% and oscar finished with his worst shooting team ever at 47.7%.

Shooting and defending this poorly on 2s when over 65% of the shots and half the points come from these categories has to be corrected for any hope of improvement next year. Unfortunately, the bigs for K-State are up in the air at best and a complete mess at worst. Guys like Edwards and Westicles along with the new guards will have to be much better at both getting to the rim and finishing once they get there. Statistically, this past year looks like a statistical anomaly when you compare to the rest of the years oscar has been a head coach; generally offensive or defensive 2PT% (if not both) are strengths of the system he coaches. However, the negative trend of 2PT% on offense along with the lack of bigs or a legit rim protector continue to make this a major area of concern going into next season.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
"the worst for any oscar coached team"

This resonates. So, we not only witnessed a terrible year, but oscar's worst year to boot. Oh my.  :facepalm:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Should we do more alley oops

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
1) We need to replace a lot of talent we ran off/graduated. I don't think the odds of this happening are good.
2) Nothing else matters until 1 happens

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
I have 3.5 words to fix it all:

Play
Above
(the)
Rim

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is why we are lucky to have _FAN.  Most people would have typed EVERYTHING but he went ahead and provided a detailed, thoughtful analysis of just one item.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
is oscar too passionate about this game?  me thinks he is. 

my note to oscar would be this- take a step back, relax a little.  it's only a game.  focus less on that round orange dimpled ball and get back to the things that made you fall in love with this goofy game in the first place.  and lastly, just enjoy yourself out there- HAVE FUN!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This is why we are lucky to have _FAN.  Most people would have typed EVERYTHING but he went ahead and provided a detailed, thoughtful analysis of just one item.

Even crazier, I'll have more points ITT. Just thought I'd spread them out a bit.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thanks for the write up _FAN

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Regarding defense, was our perimeter defense worse, which allowed opposing teams to get better shots in the lane, which resulted in a higher 2pt%?

I know there was a lot of harassment over Foster's defense, and he played a lot of minutes.  Nigel was criticized for his defense as well.

It felt like guards got a lot more penetration this year as opposed to last, and the shots they were getting were cleaner looks.  That may have something to do with it outside of just not having a strong rim protector.  :dunno:

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't know how this can be possibly done when we could be replacing as many as 7 of our top 10 players.  Next season's team has nothing contextually in common with this seasons team other than the coach.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
oscar had the worst eFG% of any KSU team since 00-01. 99-00 (Asbury's 9-win season) had a higher EFG.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't know how this can be possibly done when we could be replacing as many as 7 of our top 10 players.  Next season's team has nothing contextually in common with this seasons team other than the coach.

Yeah, once everyone left I questioned the value of even doing this because the teams will be quite different, but it's the off-season and why not? I still think there is some value in comparing with oscar's past teams. Statistical trends still show up that highlight what he values on offense and defense.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
It's going to be really bizarre.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Considering Big Meat is our best chance at rim protection, defensive 2 pt % may get worse. Maybe DJamer comes back in beast mode though.

Considering our best players scoring in the paint are not our bigs, instead they are slashers like Westicles and Edwards, who seem to have touch on the ball like middle schoolers, our offensive 2 pt % may get worse.

A reliable PG could minimize these obvious flaws, but that is yet to be seen.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
This is not meant to be a knock on DJamer in any way, shape or form, but I have a hard time understanding why I keep seeing such high hopes for him. This is a guy who averaged 13.9 minutes per game with 3.5 pts and 3.5 reb per game as a sophomore. Plus, he's coming off a foot injury that kept him out an entire season and that some fear may end his career.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
This is not meant to be a knock on DJamer in any way, shape or form, but I have a hard time understanding why I keep seeing such high hopes for him. This is a guy who averaged 13.9 minutes per game with 3.5 pts and 3.5 reb per game as a sophomore. Plus, he's coming off a foot injury that kept him out an entire season and that some fear may end his career.

+1

Maybe we're all 90% fueled by false hope in the era of oscar at this point?

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Considering Big Meat is our best chance at rim protection, defensive 2 pt % may get worse. Maybe DJamer comes back in beast mode though.

Considering our best players scoring in the paint are not our bigs, instead they are slashers like Westicles and Edwards, who seem to have touch on the ball like middle schoolers, our offensive 2 pt % may get worse.

A reliable PG could minimize these obvious flaws, but that is yet to be seen.

Defense would be better if we bring every day. Also defensive rebounding is a great way to increase 2 PT %. I think we can be a better rebounding team next year.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Marinade on this for a bit. If Luis Colon were on the 15-16 roster he'd be the second most sought after returnee on the roster behind Malek Harris.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New players, new hope.  With the turd purging out of the way, Ithink Edwars, Malek and Wes will have great growth this summer.  I am still pumped about Wade.  I will lay my wallies on the chopping block, and say 20 plus wins next year.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
I'm pretty sure the crap ass effort given by our players on most nights contributed more to the 2pt% thing that talent. When we wanted to guard and help, we held teams to bad 2pt%. When we didn't feel like guarding, we were bad.

On offense, a modicum of effort screening and cutting would have helped 2's.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the crap ass effort given by our players on most nights contributed more to the 2pt% thing that talent. When we wanted to guard and help, we held teams to bad 2pt%. When we didn't feel like guarding, we were bad.

On offense, a modicum of effort screening and cutting would have helped 2's.

:thumbs:

Putting forth effort made the defense look better and led to chickenwingings from time to time

Offline TheWhiteTiger

• Fan
    • View Profile
The village idiots always have their two cents...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The village idiots always have their two cents...

That talking point is rolled out daily. It's basically the tuck "Orange Bowl tho"

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i would really like to see an actual in-bounds play. like a good one that we use well