Author Topic: Schulz dumps us for Washington State  (Read 36714 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Schulz dumps us for Washington State
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »
That dog is all cat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
INSIGHT KANSAS: Could K-State court Brownback as next president?

APRIL 7, 2016 BY HAYS POST 7 COMMENTS

Last week, one of Kansas’ most visible and revered leaders, Kansas State University President Kirk Schulz, shook the state up by announcing he was leaving to take the helm at Washington State University. The move makes great sense for Schultz, who had established an excellent record at the helm of the state’s second-largest higher education institution. Washington State will pay Schulz nearly twice his salary, and while Schulz loves K-State there is only so much of a hometown discount anyone would be willing to extend to their paymaster.

That Washington State is paying Schultz so much more is unsurprising to anyone paying attention to states’ budget priorities. Kansas’s legislature has decided that education, whether K-12 or higher education, is a funding priority somewhere between paying dues to the Democratic National Committee and reserving a Tesla Model 3. Washington State, on the other hand, recently committed to increasing higher education support, making for not only a higher salary but a more supportive environment.

Schulz’s departure leaves a big pair of shoes to fill. A national search will be conducted and speculation has already begun as to who might replace him. Considering Kansas’ recent well-earned reputation for hostility to education combined with the relatively low salary will not encourage a strong applicant pool. Perhaps, then, the search committee should keep their focus inside the state.

Who may the Regents pursue? What makes a great university president? Some states have looked to former elected officials. Under former Senator David Boren, the University of Oklahoma has become one of the nation’s most respected pubic higher education institutions. Mitch Daniels, previously the Governor of Indiana, took the helm at Purdue last year and while his tenure has been more controversial than Boren’s his connections in the legislature and negotiation ability are skills greatly valued by higher education regulators.

So Kansas State may look 50 miles east, to the Governor’s mansion, for their next president. Brownback appointed every current Regent, so they are certainly comfortable with his leadership. The Governor is a Kansas State alumnus, and he will be out of a job in another two years. If he wanted to mimic his predecessor, he could even leave early as Kathleen Sebelius did to become U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary. Brownback could claim that the ‘sun is shining in Manhattan’ even on the rare occasions when the football team loses. To grow student enrollment, Brownback could use the same approach he took on taxes, slashing tuition to attract more students. If Governor Brownback’s vision is to be believed, then K-State will go from nearly 25,000 enrollment to 50,000 in a few years. If the promise isn’t delivered, he can point to being re-elected without the same level of job growth in the state as reason why he should keep the spot during his merit review with the Regents.

Furthermore, the legislature would never have to worry about providing Kansas State any regular funding, because it is sitting on a nearly $500 million endowment. Brownback and his allies in the legislature claim that K-12 school districts should accept their state funding cuts and use their reserve funds to make up the shortfall. Brownback could thus lead by example in allocating K-State’s endowment for faculty salaries and everyday operations.

Seriously, there may be an important reason to pursue Brownback as Kansas State University’s next president. After years of comfortably believing that education was a bloated money sink, a few years at the helm would show Brownback just how difficult a job higher education leadership can be. Just as the Ghost of Christmas Past showed Ebenezer Scrooge the error of his ways, taking the helm of K-State could provide the governor some much-needed empathy for the educational needs of his state.

Chapman Rackaway is a Professor of Political Science at Fort Hays State University.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
i wonder who our other visible and revered leaders are?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »
Chapman Rackaway can get mumped

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »
Chapman Rackaway can get mumped

This, I am not sacrificing K-State for some morality lesson for Brownback. Brownback should have been done away with anyways last election but dumbasses will dumbass.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2016, 11:23:08 PM »
:lol:

Schulz, 52, currently president of Kansas State University, will also be provided with housing, both at the president’s residence on campus and in a condominium in the Seattle area.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/new-wsu-president-will-earn-625000-annually/

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
The thread for pics of the animal is about to get way more baller.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
The Schulz salaries have been effectively enormous because when was the last time either of them had to pay for something with their own money?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
a dude who looks like that has no right making 6 figures.  This is America

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

sometimes America makes mistakes.  Rosanne Barr for example.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »

It makes me sick when physical beauty isn't required for success. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2016, 01:23:58 PM »

Yes!! I challenge anyone to name one historical woman of significance who was ugly.

The Big Train

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »

Yes!! I challenge anyone to name one historical woman of significance.

:sdeek:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
Mods! Please hide this thread from MG.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »

Yes!! I challenge anyone to name one historical woman of significance who was ugly.

There are some, and it's sickening

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
Well temp Pres certainly has name recognition.  Guess this is why he was in town for the Brands Landon lecture.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
Well temp Pres certainly has name recognition.  Guess this is why he was in town for the Brands Landon lecture.

hopefully it's not interim waiting on Brownback.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
Bobby Jindal has a better chance of taking over LSU.  I personally think this is a great move.  Very stable, not a panic hire.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
the gun thing has nothing to do with it, washington state is the wild west when it comes to gun laws

wrong
http://police.wsu.edu/firearmswac.html

if you think that schulz left k-state b/c of open carry on campus, then good for you but you're 100% wrong
please read posts instead if editing them.

i read your post.  you're wrong.  are we good now, bud?

Forrest J Knox
"Maybe he'll be more sensible when it comes to guns on campus."

Oh we're good.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2016, 12:28:38 AM »
Search committee members representing K-State faculty/administration and staff include: Ethan Erickson, Assistant Vice President for Budget Planning at Kansas State University; John Floros, Dean of the College of Agriculture and Director of K-State Research and Extension; Dr. David Griffin, Assistant Dean/Director of the Center for Student and Professional Services in the Kansas State University College of Education; Fred Guzek, K-State Faculty Senate President and professor at Kansas State Polytechnic; Mike Tokach, professor of animal sciences and industry and researcher for K-State Research and Extension; Dr. Mary Hale Tolar, Director of the Staley School of Leadership Studies at Kansas State University; Kerry Jennings, Master Electrician and past president of the K-State University Support Staff Senate; and John Currie, Director of Athletics.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2016, 12:33:30 AM »
Search committee members representing K-State faculty/administration and staff include: Ethan Erickson, Assistant Vice President for Budget Planning at Kansas State University; John Floros, Dean of the College of Agriculture and Director of K-State Research and Extension; Dr. David Griffin, Assistant Dean/Director of the Center for Student and Professional Services in the Kansas State University College of Education; Fred Guzek, K-State Faculty Senate President and professor at Kansas State Polytechnic; Mike Tokach, professor of animal sciences and industry and researcher for K-State Research and Extension; Dr. Mary Hale Tolar, Director of the Staley School of Leadership Studies at Kansas State University; Kerry Jennings, Master Electrician and past president of the K-State University Support Staff Senate; and John Currie, Director of Athletics.

Looks like it's ADJC's decision to make on the name that gets sent to the BOR.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2016, 06:50:48 AM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
We are K-State. And we always will be. :frown:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:50:52 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
the master electrician guy sounds pretty cool
emaw

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
the master electrician guy sounds pretty cool

he is a really cool dude, irl. we were enrolled in a few graduate courses together.