Author Topic: Hacked accounts  (Read 20865 times)

The Big Train

Hacked accounts
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
So if you didn't know there was a huge hacked account leak yesterday for pictures.  Several high profile peoples nude pics were leaked.  Now I hate anything censored at all, one of the main reasons I love gE so much. 

My question is what do you guys think about leaking hacked photos?  I mean is it their fault for taking them to begin with?  Should it be fair game since they choose to upload them to the cloud?  Is it the same as selling stolen merchandise?  Should we even care?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Hacked accounts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
So if you didn't know there was a huge hacked account leak yesterday for pictures.  Several high profile peoples nude pics were leaked.  Now I hate anything censored at all, one of the main reasons I love gE so much. 

My question is what do you guys think about leaking hacked photos?  I mean is it their fault for taking them to begin with?  Should it be fair game since they choose to upload them to the cloud?  Is it the same as selling stolen merchandise?  Should we even care?
It absolutely shouldn't be fair game. Accessing them was a criminal act, and so is hosting/looking at the pictures. Possession of stolen property.
:adios:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
Their publicists are all high-fiving and fist-pumping 'til their arms fall off.

The Big Train

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
So is that the same as downloading a song, that's stolen property.  I'm not saying hacked nude pics and songs are the same thing.  Looking at it from a legal standpoint tho.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
Criminal. But people are dumbasses

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Hard to condemn them when I have taken thousands of naked pictures with my phone
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »

It absolutely shouldn't be fair game. Accessing them was a criminal act, and so is hosting/looking at the pictures. Possession of stolen property.

Wait, looking at them is a criminal act? I don't expect any G men to show up at my door for looking at Kate Upton's soft, amorphous mid section.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »

If you took Polaroid pictures and had them sitting in a drawer at home, would it be your fault if stolen?

The Big Train

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »

If you took Polaroid pictures and had them sitting in a drawer at home, would it be your fault if stolen?

A drawer at home is not readily accessible to anyone with an internet connection in the world.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
Isn't it more like you stored polaroids in a locker in a public place, the locker wasn't as secure as you thought, someone accessed it, made copies of your pics, and left the originals in the locker? Would that be a crime?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
I don't think the place matters is the point I'm making.  Nobody had access to them without explicitly and knowingly breaking the law.  So yes, the person explicitly and knowingly breaking the law is to blame

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
I don't think the place matters is the point I'm making.  Nobody had access to them without explicitly and knowingly breaking the law.  So yes, the person explicitly and knowingly breaking the law is to blame

Yeah, not sure how that is debatable
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
What's the law?  I know the guy in the last high profile case got 10 years, but I'm not seeing how it's totally straightforward that this is a crime.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
What's the law?  I know the guy in the last high profile case got 10 years, but I'm not seeing how it's totally straightforward that this is a crime.

Unauthorized accessing of secure computer systems is hacking and illegal.  Theft, blackmail, violation of privacy, and copyright infringement are some other charges that could likely be brought up in these situations.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
Is OP upset because Kate Upton has the exact same ass as Justin Verlander?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

Sorry you guys had to see my hairy buns and droopy balls.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

Unauthorized accessing of secure computer systems is hacking and illegal.  Theft, blackmail, violation of privacy, and copyright infringement are some other charges that could likely be brought up in these situations.

I read a tiny bit about those things and it just reinforced my previous idea that this type of case is not such a straightforward issue.  Seriously, if I see a publicly accessible locker that was meant to be locked but left unlocked, is it a crime for me to take a look inside?  Why would it be?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »

I read a tiny bit about those things and it just reinforced my previous idea that this type of case is not such a straightforward issue.  Seriously, if I see a publicly accessible locker that was meant to be locked but left unlocked, is it a crime for me to take a look inside?  Why would it be?

In your example, probably not.  In actuality, the locker wasn't unlocked and you took things out of it. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
The publicly accessible locker was locked, and you spent 2-3 days trying to break in to it.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Reddit is calling it "The Fappening"

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »

Reddit is calling it "The Fappening"

Pretty great turn of phrase, if you ask me.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:27 PM »
Who got naked?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
The publicly accessible locker was locked, and you spent 2-3 days trying to break in to it.

Did I commit a crime?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »

Did I commit a crime?
I don't know, maybe?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »

Interesting if true
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting