Author Topic: StL County Cops Shoot Teen  (Read 231114 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: StL County Cops Shoot Teen
« Reply #1525 on: August 27, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
I mean if cops show up in my neighborhood with riot gear on, I don't rock/bottle their asses, I call mayor and complain.  I might even move and pay property taxes elsewhere.
What if their guns are pointed at you while you are peacefully assembled with a group of like-minded people?

I'd go home.  Not worth getting shot over.  I mean I'd probably take some cell phone pics or whatever and try to get them distributed.  Again call mayor, complain, and move if I have to. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 27, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm going to make a point I hate to make, but many of you are (perhaps) overlooking...

The impetus for police forces arming themselves was that North Hollywood shootout back in 1997.  LAPD had to "loot" local gun shops to access firearms powerful enough to confront two heavily armed and armored bank robbers.  After that incident every LAPD cruiser was fitted with M-16's in the trunk, and other police forces followed suit.  If police are going to be asked to confront dangerous people armed with military style weapons, then they must also be similarly armed.  I agree that they should be trained to use them, for sure.  But, also, in all of the links posted (that I looked at) officers killed someone using their service pistol, not military style weaponry. 

Also, I looked this up and 2 people died. (the shooters). So what a dumb rough ridin' reason to militarize cops.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 27, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
I'm going to make a point I hate to make, but many of you are (perhaps) overlooking...

The impetus for police forces arming themselves was that North Hollywood shootout back in 1997.  LAPD had to "loot" local gun shops to access firearms powerful enough to confront two heavily armed and armored bank robbers.  After that incident every LAPD cruiser was fitted with M-16's in the trunk, and other police forces followed suit.  If police are going to be asked to confront dangerous people armed with military style weapons, then they must also be similarly armed.  I agree that they should be trained to use them, for sure.  But, also, in all of the links posted (that I looked at) officers killed someone using their service pistol, not military style weaponry. 

Also, I looked this up and 2 people died. (the shooters). So what a dumb rough ridin' reason to militarize cops.

Well that's California for ya.  Bleeding edge.   :ROFL:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 27, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
I agree with EMO that the subject largely got changed from police using excessive force and shooting people to police equipment, which don't seem all that closely related.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
Just saw this posted on FB:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ottawa-police-shoot-unarmed-teen-16-times-family-begs/#kJrzpjdys589r6pm.99

Long gone are the days of your friendly neighborhood cop showing up to talk a person down who has hit a low point in life. Now the mentally ill are seemingly serving as target practice for these heavily militarized police forces across the country.
Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ottawa-police-shoot-unarmed-teen-16-times-family-begs/#GVsTWPy3xQ61OK6V.99

It's just stupid writing.  There are no details released about the shooting, which was likely with service pistols, not military style weapons. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
I agree with EMO that the subject largely got changed from police using excessive force and shooting people to police equipment, which don't seem all that closely related.

It was closely related in Ferguson. And I think it's closely related overall because it deals with two big problems with law enforcement in the country that probably need widespread change.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/toddler-critically-burned-during-swat-raid/nf9SJ/

How's this example. Swat/No Knock Raids have no reason to be used in drug searches.

Seems to be two issues really.  They don't have to throw explosive or incendiary devices into homes to conduct no knock warrants.  So issue one is don't use grenades and then issue two would be should they knock. 

Also there is a reason to conduct them and that is obviously that if given the chance drug dealers do try very, very hard to dispose of the drugs before the police find them. 

I can understand the position that it isn't worth the risk of harm to everyone, but to say they don't have a reason is incorrect. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 27, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »

It was closely related in Ferguson. And I think it's closely related overall because it deals with two big problems with law enforcement in the country that probably need widespread change.

I agree it's related.  I think we ought to look more at statistics though (so I need to go back and look at that graphic posted earlier).  We live in a big populous country, and bad crap is going to happen pretty much err day even in a perfect world.  I hate these knee-jerky reactions people have whenever something newsworthy happens.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »

It wasn't initially.  It's just that when people start to notice how often that actually occurs they start to become uncomfortable with the notion that those same police officers have even bigger guns and body armor and tanks at their disposal. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 27, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »

I agree it's related.  I think we ought to look more at statistics though (so I need to go back and look at that graphic posted earlier).  We live in a big populous country, and bad crap is going to happen pretty much err day even in a perfect world.  I hate these knee-jerky reactions people have whenever something newsworthy happens.

like when you tried to justify nationwide militarization of police based on a shooting that ended with only the criminals being killed?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
But in all seriousness, we have been looking at stats available. The stats show that US cops kill shitloads of people every year. And the UK police fired their weapons something like three times last year. Stats.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
Were the guns and armor and stuff that LA guy(s) used legal to own?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »

like when you tried to justify nationwide militarization of police based on a shooting that ended with only the criminals being killed?

I wasn't justifying it, just explaining that's why it happened.  Isolated incident aside, citizens do have a crap ton of military style weapons though, so I think it's okay for cops to have some, too. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 27, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »

I think some yes and some no.  Obviously they weren't hard to get, anyway. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »

I think some yes and some no.  Obviously they weren't hard to get, anyway.

Well I think one guy was technically a felon so he shouldn't have been possessing any weapons anyway.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 27, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »

Legally for purchase (if you aren't a felon like he was), illegally modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

It was speculated that Phillips had legally purchased two of the AK-47s and then illegally converted them to full automatic. However, as Phillips was a convicted felon it was not possible for him to legally purchase firearms.[15][30][31]

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

They're two different problems with two different solutions. Focusing on the latter, more tangible, easier to fix problem takes attention away from the former, which seems like a much worse problem to me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 27, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »

They're two different problems with two different solutions. Focusing on the latter, more tangible, easier to fix problem takes attention away from the former, which seems like a much worse problem to me.

I feel my attention is adequately focused on both. Or more accurately, I'll treat them equally, (as in do nothing but talk about it). But I agree that the use of excessive force is a bigger problem.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »

I feel my attention is adequately focused on both. Or more accurately, I'll treat them equally, (as in do nothing but talk about it). But I agree that the use of excessive force is a bigger problem.

There would't be investgations and such without the attention.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
I mean if cops show up in my neighborhood with riot gear on, I don't rock/bottle their asses, I call mayor and complain.  I might even move and pay property taxes elsewhere.
What if their guns are pointed at you while you are peacefully assembled with a group of like-minded people?

I'd go home.  Not worth getting shot over.  I mean I'd probably take some cell phone pics or whatever and try to get them distributed.  Again call mayor, complain, and move if I have to.

The lie down and take it crowd.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 27, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
Are the crackers out looting and burning crap down yet protesting the marine being beat?  Rumblings that Holder and Obama have personally called to congratulate this group of great American heroes.

Why do these pussies always have to get like 8 people to attack one pasty ass cracker  :lol: 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
lol

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 27, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
lol

You don't know how hard and fast I clicked this thread when I saw life posted in it again
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »

There would't be investgations and such without the attention.

Well, this is going to be like the tenth time I've mentioned that no one in the US accurately knows how many people cops kill every year (other than some guy on shaggy bevo), so I hope that gets someone started on that. Like, to start I think any department that wants any money should have to report how many people their officers kill annually.