Author Topic: Wild Wildcats in the NFL  (Read 223067 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Wildcats in the NFL
« Reply #850 on: January 02, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSGy8idHAo
It's easy to see why he's the type of guy who is successful in coaching college and pro players.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 04, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 04, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
3rd round?! Really?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:41 AM »

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »
Lee should do what's best for Lee but if they are talking about squeezing into the 3rd, I would think he might be better off with another year at K-State.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 05, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-january-3rd

Lee must hate school.

Why do you say that?
If you leave and you're not in the first two rounds I would assume you just have decided you're done with school, or his family is in need of money.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 05, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I also would be shocked if he was a first 3 or 4 round guy. I haven't seen his name on any boards at all.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
Yeah, I mean I like Lee a lot, but I don't think he's a 1-3 rounder. 4th even is pushing it a bit, maybe next year he can bump solidly into 3 and a really good year low 2. Another year really only helps, he can only improve his stock, and if he lord forbid gets hurt, he wouldn't be losing that much money. Smart move is to stay.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
I would think that if Lee wants be a LB in the NFL, he needs to show that he can add another 10-15 lbs and not lose any speed.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 05, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Also, Vita Vea is an awesome name for an awesome football player. Like a powerful supplement that allows you to crush opposing offensive linemen.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 05, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
Coming back to school does not provide a guarantee that his draft stock will improve. It's not as cut and dry as come back and vault into the first or second round.  It kinda makes more sense for a guy like Lee to leave early than it does someone like Fournette.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 05, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
It makes a million times more sense for Fournette to leave early

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 05, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
Coming back to school does not provide a guarantee that his draft stock will improve. It's not as cut and dry as come back and vault into the first or second round.  It kinda makes more sense for a guy like Lee to leave early than it does someone like Fournette.

I get what you're saying, but Lee's "stock" isn't even on hot boards.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 05, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
It makes a million times more sense for Fournette to leave early

Fournette is a sure thing, no matter what. He comes back and has another season like he did this one, productive but hampered by injury, he falls to the second or third round. A guy like Lee has many more factors he has to deal with. Not only does he have to stay healthy and productive but there are other factors he has to deal with; if the defense reverts back to 2015, that reflects on him, we have a disappointing season and he falls out of consciousness, that's another risk. Guys who have prospects in the margins are taking a much bigger risk when they don't strike when the iron is hot. Fournette is far from any margin. If Lee misses half of the year next season like Fournette did this season, do you think his draft stock would be completely unaffected like it has been with Fournette?

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 05, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
Fournette has no potential upside to coming back and is guaranteed to lose a year of earnings.  Lee has potential upside which could fairly easily offset the loss from a year of earnings.  As far as guaranteed money goes, Fournette would be risking $20m in falling from the first to the third due to injury (Mo Lattimore-esque).  At most, Lee is risking $200k in guarantees although its just as likely he isn't getting a guaranteed contract.  I also don't think the iron is hot for Lee.  He was a top 5 underclassmen LB for Mel Kiper coming into the season with a defense that was bad last year.  He seems pretty similarly rated now with a better defense.

I'd like to see Lee back for selfish reasons.  I also think him coming back would be a good choice. Lee's priority has to be what is best for him and he knows what that is far more than I do so if he goes, good luck to him.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 05, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/outside-linebacker/type-rookie/

It's worth it to come back if you think you can break into the 2nd round. If you know your measureables aren't improving, you should go asap.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 05, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
Nice chart.

Fournette is in high level 1 and could go to 3 (worst reasonable case).  Lee is at best low level 3 and could go UFA (which is like a 7 but picking your situation).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Fournette has no potential upside to coming back and is guaranteed to lose a year of earnings.  Lee has potential upside which could fairly easily offset the loss from a year of earnings.  As far as guaranteed money goes, Fournette would be risking $20m in falling from the first to the third due to injury (Mo Lattimore-esque).  At most, Lee is risking $200k in guarantees although its just as likely he isn't getting a guaranteed contract.  I also don't think the iron is hot for Lee.  He was a top 5 underclassmen LB for Mel Kiper coming into the season with a defense that was bad last year.  He seems pretty similarly rated now with a better defense.

I'd like to see Lee back for selfish reasons.  I also think him coming back would be a good choice. Lee's priority has to be what is best for him and he knows what that is far more than I do so if he goes, good luck to him.

I don't disagree with any of that, I'm not arguing monetary differences, my argument is based on the things that can happen to cause a precipitous fall, for Fournette that's one thing, a catastrophic injury, for Lee there are more factors. My bigger issue is the thought that Lee would leave for any reason having to do with how he feels about K-State, the coaches, or the team.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 05, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
Also you guys are assuming that he absolutely will be a third round pick or lower.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 05, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
Lee's twitter feed makes me believe he's enjoying KSU.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 05, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
I'm letting scottwildcat being a shithead drive this conversation and I need to stop, I apologize.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
Lee certainly has more risk than Fournette.  The difference is that Fournette has absolutely no upside and Lee has some.

I would be thrilled to be wrong but if Lee is a second round pick or better I would be shocked.  I haven't seen anything indicating that he would go that high yet.  If he reasonably believes he will go in the second round due to some evaluation or interview with certain teams, he should definitely go.  I think its probably 2% he goes in 1 or 2, 8% he goes in 3, 40% he goes in 4, 45% he goes in 5, 5% he goes later.

Yea, ScottWildcat saying that Lee must hate school because he jumps at the first shot of realizing his dreams is ridiculous.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 05, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
I'm letting scottwildcat being a shithead drive this conversation and I need to stop, I apologize.

he's had a pretty good run of occupation lately

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Lol