Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5519500 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #23125 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »
I can't think of the last recruit that we had a verbal from, that opened back up, just to recommit to us. Has that ever happened? He's gone, fellas. This tuck is calling this shot unfortunately.  :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: January 13, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
It's not dumb to want more talent than we have.  Keeping the better recruits committed would help with that.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: January 13, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »
JFC, you seriously are the worst poster on this board.

These guys get paid hundreds of thousands to recruit and you can't keep a single four star recruit at the division one level? Completely terrible.
Guess what, it's happening all across the country, not just at K-state, also, he's not a 4 star, dumbass.

He is an ESPN 4 Star number #1 Juco safety. Dumbass
I don't know a single soul who follows espn recruiting, but cool. Continue to obsess over 18 year olds decisions.

I really don't care what 18 year olds decide, I care that our coaches have under recruited for years and now due to a loss commitment we will most likely be running a walk-on/converted WR at safety next year.

I'm not saying they don't evaluate and coach up underrated kids extremely well. I'm saying in the recruiting aspect of college football we are below KU.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: January 13, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
yeah, the "all of our talent is really young so it's ok if our recruiting is mediocre" argument doesn't make any sense. as i've said before in this thread, statements like this are what idiots need to tell themselves to feel better about missing out on priority recruits. it's not ok.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
are we going to have any last second mysrecruits showing up like Neon Boudeaux?  :crossfingers:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23130 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
yeah, the "all of our talent is really young so it's ok if our recruiting is mediocre" argument doesn't make any sense. as i've said before in this thread, statements like this are what idiots need to tell themselves to feel better about missing out on priority recruits. it's not ok.
Who the eff said that?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23131 on: January 13, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
You did, stupid.
Ppl continue to bitch about our recruiting, when we have one of the youngest/talented teams we've had in a super long time. It's so weird and overplayed. Get a new hobby dorks.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23132 on: January 13, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
That's not what I said, dlew. I was saying ppl bitch about our classes and they've turned out to be really good, dipshit. So bitching about a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits that you know nothing about is a waste of time. It turns out the last two classes were really good.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23133 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
SO MAYBE THIS CLASS IS GOOD TOO AND WE DON'T KNOW IT YET!!!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23134 on: January 13, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
That's not what I said, dlew. I was saying ppl bitch about our classes and they've turned out to be really good, dipshit. So bitching about a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits that you know nothing about is a waste of time. It turns out the last two classes were really good.
The thing is, they haven't turned out to be really good. They've turned out to be "pretty good" at best.  Which is fine, but tops out at about the Texas bowl unless we get boatloads of transfers or an All-American Wide Receiver legacy.

See my post about being routinely overmatched against quality teams.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23135 on: January 13, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
Seems simple as this:

Bill is great at maximizing what he gets from his players over a season.  However, when kid #1's ceiling is a 6 and kid #2's ceiling is a 9/10, Kid #1 loses more times than not if his coach is any good.  Times that out over an entire team and an entire 4 or 5 yrs of recruiting to fill a team, and you end up with a team that doesn't have to be fully maximized to succeed at a high level.  This is pretty important in a game that is being played by 18-22 yr olds as they are pretty prone to mistakes.

Bill's formula is a formula that only he and maybe a couple other coaches in the country can execute.  The problem is that he can't even execute it to the highest level of CFB.  Like Dlew said, it falls short as soon as we hit an Oregon, Arky, etc.  Really good players with decent, or better coaches, have a large advantage.  Especially in bowl games where there is a month or more of preparation. 

Not accepting this is delusional, you guys.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23136 on: January 13, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
I can't deny that there is a talent gap between K-State and the top teams, even in our best seasons.

I can't deny that LHC Bill Snyder and his staff maximize the kids they get to even put ourselves in position to play some of these teams in bowl games.

I can't deny that Bill has a bunch of old guys on staff that aren't great recruiters.

I can't deny that Bill being 70-whatever is probably a bigger hindrance to landing 4-5 star kids than those old coaches at this point.

I can't deny that even with this talent gap, the 9 wins seasons like last year and 14, let along 11/12, make me still really enjoy K-State football and I'm fine with that as long as Bill is able to coach.

I can't deny it still is very aggravating when high quality recruits decommit. It may be partially our fault, but I tend not to put most of the blame on our staff.

After the Bill era, I'll worry about not having more higher level recruits when we get a Venzy or young energetic coach/staff. I'm not going to do that now though.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23137 on: January 13, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
That's perfectly fair, imo.  I mean, 9 wins is 9 wins. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23138 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Right.  Everyone pretty much agrees with you fan.  Wacky is just running some weird crusade against people critical of our recruiting efforts/results.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23139 on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
I just stopped getting angry.  I'm not not upset, but I can't do anything about it.  LHC Bill Snyder isn't getting fired, he's not removing assistants, and we're winning at a pretty good level all things considered.

I'm not going to take a leave of absence from Cats football, so I'm just going to watch and enjoy. 

I hate losing guys to teams in conference though.  That gets you coming and going.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23140 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Its recruiting.. should anything really surprise anyone at this point?
shut up and enjoy the ride dorks

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23141 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I get that we've had a pretty fun go around this time with Snyder 2.0 and it's been successful, I truly do. Clearly way better than prince and the ending of Snyder 1.0, but me being a greedy 'Cat fan I want more.

I enjoy the 9, 10, 11 win seasons, but why let that be our end goal and be okay with it? Why not go for that 12th, 13th, 14th or 15th win and strive for more? All this recruiting BS, yeah our coaches will be able to get us those occasional 9, 10, 11 win seasons, but the 2 and 3 stars won't get us those next 3 or 4 W's.

So yeah, it is kind of upsetting when the Staff loses out on some of our top targets/commits that could at least give us a chance for those extra W's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23142 on: January 13, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Right.  Everyone pretty much agrees with you fan.  Wacky is just running some weird crusade against people critical of our recruiting efforts/results.
I'm sorry you feel that way Dlew. Relax, it's Friday

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23143 on: January 13, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
Our recruiting blows. Doesn't matter the service it rough ridin' sucks, we either get lucky catch a tweener with grade issues or find a ditr. It's not that hard to see yet some people refute those facts because a 80yr old is a damn good coach

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23144 on: January 13, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
I think Andre Coleman does a pretty good job recruiting

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #23145 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
We dance all over this subject sometimes so forgive me if this sounds dumb but can someone explain to me the metrics behind what makes a good recruiting class?  Is it stars/wins or losses/NFL draftees etc?

Not ge'ing here.  Just curious of others thoughts.  I mean if its recruiting=stars we severely underachieve.  If it's recruiting = wins/losses we seem to be a bit ahead of the curve, probably the same with NFL players.

:dunno:

Offline Mr_BONES

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23146 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
I guess I don't understand why TCU, though.  We had a much better year, have a better trajectory next year, and have a better overall defense yet still need help at his position.   TCU is a small private school, yes it's in a fun city, but the community is small and fan support is weak.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #23147 on: January 13, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
I get Wacky's point.  Why do you continue to complain about recruiting stars?  The staff has a recipe they know and they know the ingredients it takes to make it work.  It's obviously successful.  You guys bitching about stars is the equivalent of going to Buffalo Wild Wings and bitching about the seafood options.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23148 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
I guess I don't understand why TCU, though.  We had a much better year, have a better trajectory next year, and have a better overall defense yet still need help at his position.   TCU is a small private school, yes it's in a fun city, but the community is small and fan support is weak.

I'm guessing that Gary and his staff reminded Elijah that Snyder is 100 years old. Several times.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #23149 on: January 13, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »
Overall, I don't think our staff really knows how to sell recruits on this program. And I think it's mainly a question of effort. We get a decent amount of good high school players, but how much of that is the staff truly responsible for. Wacky brought up Anthony Payne, so let's use him as an example. He's a good HS player, and I agree with Wacky that he's likely to be a good college player, BUT I don't think you can point to him as being an example of a "good recruiting job" by the staff. Way before he had an offer and way before he went to RCS Kansas City and blew up, he was already stated as saying that Kansas State was one of his favorite schools. I mean, the kid had recruited himself here 90% of the way. IMO it's not very impressive when the staff reels him in the last 10%. And I think it's that way for a good many of the kids that end up committing to us. Because when they don't have any other P5 offers or they grow up as a fan of the school, it's not that hard to get them on board.

Now I know that Seiler and Coleman recruit their assess off, but there are a large number of coaches that don't pull the weight they should.