Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4063407 times)

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #28725 on: August 15, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
A coast to coast conference with a california school and a florida school would solidly us as the AAC. Even the big east wasn't that desperate.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28726 on: August 15, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
A coast to coast conference with a california school and a florida school would solidly us as the AAC. Even the big east wasn't that desperate.

The Big East was that desperate.  They invited/accepted Boise St and invited San Diego St.  SDSU started to withdraw from the Mountain West to join the Big East, but Boise St backed out before SDSU was announced and both rejoined the Mountain West.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #28727 on: August 15, 2016, 11:45:24 PM »
Haven't been following this thread at all so I don't know if Tulane is still being mentioned by huge dumbasses, but if they are then those dumbasses should look at this: it's a "Sponsored Content" piece on the website of the New Orleans paper. It's pretty desperate. They totes tried to make it look like a real column too, which was pathetic. Almost as pathetic as their press box side bleachers, which have...maybe 15 rows? (pictured in "article")

http://www.nola.com/sponsor-content/?scid=114899&prx_t=xEcCACjsIAms0LA
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28729 on: August 16, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
this list is embarrassing

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28730 on: August 16, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind a Vegas roadie every couple of years, but I'd rather it was a basketball tournament than gross UNLV
:adios:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28731 on: August 16, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
eff it, add a bunch of these shitty small schools that are the closest so our travel costs are cheap. Make them all take a really small percentage of the confy money, do everything we can to pinch pennies and make our facilities even more Power 5-ier for when this crap really goes bomb in the near future, and maybe we can get picked up.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28732 on: August 16, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »
Who needs a power 5 conference? We're gettin' a rough ridin' Rally House! Wooo rough ridin' hooo.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28733 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
eff it, add a bunch of these shitty small schools that are the closest so our travel costs are cheap. Make them all take a really small percentage of the confy money, do everything we can to pinch pennies and make our facilities even more Power 5-ier for when this crap really goes bomb in the near future, and maybe we can get picked up.

If the rumor about BYU is true, then I think we'd land in the PAC. If we won't take BYU, then I don't see the ultra liberal PAC schools wanting any of the religious schools.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28734 on: August 16, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »

Believe it or not these conferences aren't choosing schools based on facilities so your plan is ill advised

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28735 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:09 AM »
Who needs a power 5 conference? We're gettin' a rough ridin' Rally House! Wooo rough ridin' hooo.
Hahhaha love it

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28736 on: August 17, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »
Guys I'm starting to think we're not gonna expand
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28737 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Guys I'm starting to think we're not gonna expand  :D

FYP

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28738 on: August 17, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »
Best case is ESPN and Fox pay us more to not expand.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28739 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
man I would love to thanks but no thanks all these loser schools. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28740 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »
We should tell them the reasons for not accepting them are purely academic.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28741 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
that's a good idea.  big 12 should just deny everybody, but also put out the a very public list of reasons that each school got denied. 

1.  UCF: Bad academics.  Poor football program.  Poor basketball program.  Metallic bleachery stadium sucks.  Idiot fans.

And so on through the 20 schools.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28742 on: August 17, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
All I care about is EMAW staying in a P5. Does expanding 2-4 schools keep the B12 together, longer? Is there any risk to not expanding?

I've been under the assumption that expanding is good for us, so I've been rooting for that.

Tell me what to do.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28743 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
All I care about is EMAW staying in a P5. Does expanding 2-4 schools keep the B12 together, longer? Is there any risk to not expanding?

I've been under the assumption that expanding is good for us, so I've been rooting for that.

Tell me what to do.

The Big12 is lead by a spineless commish.  The most powerful university president changes his mind monthly and tells everyone.  He's also going to be replaced within the next 5 years.

No one has any clue what's going on because Big12 leadership is terrible.  I say wish for what you think would be the most fun the next few years, because after that anything can happen. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28744 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
the negs of expanding are all completely obvious so I will just put out my few pros

immediate pros
12 teams means back to divisions and 8 game schedules so the conference beats up on each other less and one more noncon for poor teams to make money on home games and UT and OU to play other blue bloods and sell season tickets in their giant stadiums.  Maybe more money depending on how bad we screw the noobs.

long term pro
If only one of UT or OU leave in 2025 end of the current contract we might have a chance at remaining P5. 

If both are leaving getting as much political leverage in the Big 12 would be my goal - Senators can't make the tv networks pay a Big 12 without UT or OU any $ but they might be able to leverage the threat of eliminating the donation tax write off in order to keep some "access" like the Sugar Bowl tie in.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28745 on: August 17, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »

Tell me what to do.

The Big12 is lead by a spineless commish.  The most powerful university president changes his mind monthly and tells everyone.  He's also going to be replaced within the next 5 years.

No one has any clue what's going on because Big12 leadership is terrible.  I say wish for what you think would be the most fun the next few years, because after that anything can happen.

Bowlsby is spineless by function of the conference charter, he is very accomplished and he was nearly unanimously praised when he was hired. There is a reason why every commissioner we've had has been mocked, it isn't bad luck, the UPs have all of the power in this conference.

Also I'll take expansion if it comes with an extended GoR, we can take Bradley and Marshall if it results in an extended GoR.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28746 on: August 17, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »

Tell me what to do.

Bowlsby is spineless by function of the conference charter, he is very accomplished and he was nearly unanimously praised when he was hired. There is a reason why every commissioner we've had has been mocked, it isn't bad luck, the UPs have all of the power in this conference.

Also I'll take expansion if it comes with an extended GoR, we can take Bradley and Marshall if it results in an extended GoR.

Bowlsby hasn't helped himself at all either. After every meeting he changes his tune.  He comes out of a playoff meeting saying "no champ game hurt us", then a week later has to publicly backtrack after a presidents meeting.  He comes out at Big12 media day with a list of demands for Baylor, then Baylor probably rightfully so says "we can't do that because of privacy laws", so he has to soften on that.  Its like they didn't take 10 minutes to ask a lawyer, "can we ask for this/can Baylor supply it?".  I don't think he thinks more than 10 minutes ahead when he talks.  ACC gets a network, so he and Boren publicly ask for schools to apply, without thinking about creating the current mess.  Maybe spineless was overkill, but he has created 0 influence in his 4ish years here.  He's still just a spokesman.  It appears he has 0 leadership qualities when he's not the sole person in charge.  He's the anti-Neinas.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #28747 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
Not saying it's an easy task, but Bowlsby's job is to get the universities to fall in line and probably needs to make them feel like they made the choice for themselves. He has failed at that miserably.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28748 on: August 17, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
An interesting proposal on Big XII expansion:
http://www.vivathematadors.com/2016/8/17/12508044/the-foolproof-solution-to-big-12-expansion

24 teams, and A and B division

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28749 on: August 17, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »
An interesting proposal on Big XII expansion:
http://www.vivathematadors.com/2016/8/17/12508044/the-foolproof-solution-to-big-12-expansion

24 teams, and A and B division

Nope city.  And LOL at the idea of UT or   OU in a conference like that. 

If we are talking crazy, merge the PAC and Big 12, add Cincy and Houston and THAT'S your 24.  But no one will do it because it gives them less money.