Author Topic: omfg, it's true.  (Read 28690 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: omfg, it's true.
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
Where's Hoiverhill when we need him?

If people were to follow me (@Haverhill40) on Twitter, you'd have known I was at the press conference where Fred Hoiberg became the Head Men's Basketball Coach at Iowa State. I will have pictures shortly.

Do you really like this hire?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
That dude looks like Aaron Eckhart. Kougs, you with me on this?

I am. I wonder if, like Mr. Eckhart, Hoiberg is "that guy who can get any girl....on steroids." :ohno:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
Hoisting Trophs

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »

If people were to follow me (@Haverhill40) on Twitter, you'd have known I was at the press conference where Fred Hoiberg became the Head Men's Basketball Coach at Iowa State. I will have pictures shortly.

It's intriguing. When a coach treats basketball like nuclear physics, we get what happened in the Greg McDermott experience at Iowa State. Fred knows enough basketball, and if you saw his playing days, is very intense and a great motivator. Still wanted Billy Clyde, but Fred Hoiberg is the new coach at Iowa State and there is no way in hell I don't give him a chance and unwaivering support. Once a Cyclone, Always a Cyclone.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »
Iowa State has reconfirmed itself as the worst head coaching job in the Big 12.  

pffft.  gary thompson (legend) clarified this in an extended pre-hire talking point.  15+ coaches inquired, including coaches with 6-8 tourney appearances.

Iowa State just hired a guy who doesn't even have head coaching experience at the high school level, and they lost their former coach to an MVC school.  If there's a less appealing job in the Big 12, let me know. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »

It's intriguing. When a coach treats basketball like nuclear physics, we get what happened in the Greg McDermott experience at Iowa State. Fred knows enough basketball, and if you saw his playing days, is very intense and a great motivator. Still wanted Billy Clyde, but Fred Hoiberg is the new coach at Iowa State and there is no way in hell I don't give him a chance and unwaivering support. Once a Cyclone, Always a Cyclone.

if he can get players, he will succeed.  not a tough formula for success at sports, basketball especially.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
Ahoi, Matey!!

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »

Insanely good stuff.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
if he can get players, he will succeed.  not a tough formula for success at sports, basketball especially.

yeah, this can't be repeated enough.  basketball's an easy game. 

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »

McNeck got players.  Retards.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »

lols

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »
“It went well. I was thinking I might get a chance for a second interview, and he put a contract on the table and said I’d like you to be the next coach at Iowa State University.”

FIRST INTERVIEW HIRE....kinda makes you wonder if F-Hoi brought the proverbial binder w/ him.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »

McNeck ran more players out of Iowa St than he brought in dumbass.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

Exactly.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

Exactly.

2 guys likely to be second round picks this year and no postseason.  He did have a revolving door, but to not even make the NIT with two players of that caliber is pretty terrible.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Does this even qualify as a "lateral" move?

F8cking sad day for Iowa State.  A coach you decided to give one more year to, a blind leap of faith imo, snubs you for a MVC school.  A friggin' crappy private school in the hood of a smelly rusty railroad town.  

What do you say if you bleed cardinal and urine?  There is no defense for what happened.  Then to top it off they hire the f8cking Mayor.  God it would be awful to be affiliated with that university right now.

Just think if we had kept Prince for a 4th year, but before that year started he decided to take a job at Tulsa or something.  :facepalm:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
he got hybrid forwards and/or skilled 4s.  should've got guards.  you can't win with garrett at pg.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »

Yep... which is why UNC was so successful last year with seven McDonald's All-Americans, and K-State made the Elite Eight with one. 

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
Yep... which is why UNC was so successful last year with seven McDonald's All-Americans, and K-State made the Elite Eight with one. 

yep... which is why UNC won a natl 'ship the year before with who gives a eff how many mcd's aas, and kstate hadn't won three games in the tourney for 20+ years.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 08:50:42 PM »

Retards are going to use the UNC anomaly to justify horrible recruiting for years to come.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
you can't win with garrett at pg.

McNeck certainly can't.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
McHoi!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
If you're Iowa St and you have a shot at him, pretty dumb not to go with Billy Clyde.  That said, if not him, why not just say shazbot! it, lets go with Hoiberg.

I really don't have a problem with it.  Dont get me wrong, I think he'll fail spectacularly, but glad they did something other than hoping a SLTH works out.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:55 AM »
Does this even qualify as a "lateral" move?

F8cking sad day for Iowa State.  A coach you decided to give one more year to, a blind leap of faith imo, snubs you for a MVC school.  A friggin' crappy private school in the hood of a smelly rusty railroad town.  

What do you say if you bleed cardinal and urine?  There is no defense for what happened.  Then to top it off they hire the f8cking Mayor.  God it would be awful to be affiliated with that university right now.

Just think if we had kept Prince for a 4th year, but before that year started he decided to take a job at Tulsa or something.  :facepalm:

prob would have re-hired snyder

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »

Retards are going to use the UNC anomaly to justify horrible recruiting for years to come.

Not trying to justify "horrible recruiting," just point out that there's more to coaching basketball than getting talent.  If you people still don't understand that after last season, God help you.