Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106417 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #575 on: November 11, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »
I wouldn’t risk it.  If I were the KSU President, I would not gamble on Sean Snyder. 

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 11, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
who's decision is it to not pair white pants with the white helmet? i want that guy/girl fired.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #577 on: November 11, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »
Tho, there is a part of me that thinks Sean might, MIGHT, have the balls to go get a great staff.  Tho, that’s probably me being unrealistic.
If he believes in the same philosophy of actively avoiding recruiting 4 and 5 star talent he will fail just as badly.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »

I wouldn’t risk it.  If I were the KSU President, I would not gamble on Sean Snyder.

We have the small timiest AD in the conf.  He prob considers Sean the safe bet

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #579 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »

We have the small timiest AD in the conf.  He prob considers Sean the safe bet

I agree with you.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 11, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »
Okay, so for posterity's sake, here's what just happened.

K-State is down 21-20 right at the end of the first half. We scored our previous TD with about 1:30 left in the half or so; kinda worrisome because they have shown a propensity to score fast. But NOPE! Our D comes up with its 4th turnover of the game with ~:45 left in the half! Holy crap, we're down one with nearly a minute and two timeouts left, and we have the ball at about our own 40 yard-line! What will we do??? Will we...A) Throw a few 8-10 yard outs, call time out, and kick a field goal right before half, B) play it safe and sit on it, content to take it to the lockerroom down one?  C) Do a weird hybrid where we simultaneously do both and neither, and end up with a dogshit result/?

If you said C, you are CORRECT!

Here's how it played out.

On 1st and 10 from our own 40, with 2TO left, we get sacked. Okay, fine, it happens. We should probably call one of our two timeouts so we can stop the clock, right? Nope, it seems since it's now 2nd and 14 from our own 36, we're just gonna let the clock run out. Okay, that works.

HEY WAIT, WE RAN ~25 SECONDS OFF THE CLOCK AND THEN DECIDED TO RUN A PLAY WITH LIKE 15 SECONDS LEFT? WHY???? Well, at least we're going to throw it downfield, right? Nope. Instead, we throw a.....screen pass?!? Oh and btw it got intercepted with 10 seconds left.

Ensuing play from scrimmage....10 seconds left, Will Grier eludes our laughable pass rush a la Bish vs. Ohio U., and then...well...a wide open WVU receiver catches it in the end zone.

Instead of us going up 23-21 or maybe even 27-21 right before half, our shitty, indecisive coaches, amidst a chorus of boos, led the team into the lockerroom down 28-20.

And we have to kickoff when we come out in the 3rd quarter.

Chip Kelly and the halftime crew were basically LOL'n at our shitty-ass coaches.

Since it's for posterity's sake, I thought we ran the ball with Warmack on 1st and 10 (instead of being sacked on a pass play).

You’re absolutely right, thanks. Somehow I had forgotten that. In fact it makes the screen pass even more WTF’y, if you think about it. So we hand the ball off with 40 seconds rather than try to throw and strike downfield. Clearly gonna just run out the clock if we’re calling run plays. Nope! Better throw a weird screen to the coach’s son with 15 seconds left so we can officially make this the most inept exhibition of clock management yet so far this season.

It's why I thought it was relevant.  I was pretty ticked we were running out the clock with 2 timeouts, but was willing to chalk it up to Snyder being Snyder.  Then we come out throwing on the next play and my head basically exploded.  My wife actually had to tell me that my one-year old son was about to cry.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 11, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »

To sum up, I’d bet we don’t have another 9 win season for 10 years.

I would bet so much you are wrong about that. Like between $100-$500 depending on how good of friends we are.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 11, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
Pete has either completely lost it or he's just trolling his ass off.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
I'm not sure Snyder even knows what's going on anymore. Not because he's senile, but because there is a bigger disconnect than we've ever had from a Snyder coached team. Perhaps 04 and 05 were similar. The issues with mistakes and consistently beating ourselves are frustrating.

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 11, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »
Bill's postgame pressers are painful and frustrating to watch. Seems worse than years past.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »
Saying we are blowing games is not something Snyder has done a lot in the past.

"As I shared with our players, and take nothing away from West Virginia, whatsoever, West Virginia’s proven to be a very fine football team, it was in our hands. It was ours to win or lose."

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 11, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »
I'm not sure Snyder even knows what's going on anymore. Not because he's senile, but because there is a bigger disconnect than we've ever had from a Snyder coached team. Perhaps 04 and 05 were similar. The issues with mistakes and consistently beating ourselves are frustrating.

Disconnect as in the staff telling Bill "We got this, We gonna win! Can't miss this time!"

Or

Disconnect as in "having an impact" or influence on the players in a football sense...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »
Disconnect in that Snyder is truly a figure head now. He simply doesn't have the energy or input he once had. That helped make K-State great and now it's falling apart. IMO.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:03 PM »
Disconnect in that Snyder is truly a figure head now. He simply doesn't have the energy or input he once had. That helped make K-State great and now it's falling apart. IMO.

I agree with this. He's basically Joe Pa now (minus the sex scandal).  Only difference was, Penn State had legit coaches, unlike Kansas State.

The Big Train

« Reply #589 on: November 11, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »
All of this pisses me off.  I love Bill, but if this whole rough ridin' charade is a tryout for Sean hoping to impress so he can take over.  I just, idk, this is so rough ridin' frustrating.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 11, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
All of this pisses me off.  I love Bill, but if this whole rough ridin' charade is a tryout for Sean hoping to impress so he can take over.  I just, idk, this is so rough ridin' frustrating.

It's not. Bill can't walk away. He can't help but think he's what's best for the program. That's what an athletic director is for, the big variable is if the biggest boosters will let him do his job.

If this was about Sean, Bill would stepped aside in July.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 12, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
Expect some news today, not sure what but seems like a big deal

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »
Tate is taking over playcalling duties!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 12, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »
Are we firing Zenger?

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »

I see some of this as well.  Honestly it's just something that is going to happen.  Hard to have the same drive/desire/energy in your late 70's as you had in your 50's.  All that said, it will be nearly impossible to ever replicate the past 30 years.  People excited for Bill to step down just don't appreciate how truly difficult it is to have sustained success at a school like KSU, or any other non-top 10 program for that matter.  Congrats to ISU for finding Matt Campbell and having a "nice" season....borderline top 25.  Who thinks he will be there for 5 more years let alone 25 if he continues to win EIGHT games?   The only way to have a chance at long term success is to hire a coach with significant ties to the school that "might" keep them here during sustained success....and that's assuming he can have success in the first place.  The next several years will be a trying and difficult time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »

I see some of this as well.  Honestly it's just something that is going to happen.  Hard to have the same drive/desire/energy in your late 70's as you had in your 50's.  All that said, it will be nearly impossible to ever replicate the past 30 years.  People excited for Bill to step down just don't appreciate how truly difficult it is to have sustained success at a school like KSU, or any other non-top 10 program for that matter.  Congrats to ISU for finding Matt Campbell and having a "nice" season....borderline top 25.  Who thinks he will be there for 5 more years let alone 25 if he continues to win EIGHT games?   The only way to have a chance at long term success is to hire a coach with significant ties to the school that "might" keep them here during sustained success....and that's assuming he can have success in the first place.  The next several years will be a trying and difficult time.

yeah that's a pretty losery way to approach things. there's not a ton of jobs out there would interest a guy like Campbell and have that interest reciprocated.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »

you sound like an espn commentator, so sick of these talking points

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Expect some news today, not sure what but seems like a big deal

Trying not to get my hopes up because I'm 99% sure nothing will happen, but that 1% shadow of a doubt has me :excited:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »

yeah that's a pretty losery way to approach things. there's not a ton of jobs out there would interest a guy like Campbell and have that interest reciprocated.

Yes, i knew these posts were coming..."loser mentality".  LOL..this is reality.  I can accept that we hired a once in a lifetime coach 30 years ago that brought me more joy than i could have imagined.  I can also understand the difficulty of repeating that.  That doesn't make me a loser.  I "hope" we can hire a great coach that can compete for titles.  I "hope" we can be more successful with this hire than Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, (this list is sooo long) all schools we have so many advantages over.  :rolleyes:  The best AD in the world would/will struggle to identify and secure the next great coach.  Time will tell.  I'm pretty confident i have a firm grasp on expectations.  Those of you who don't.......

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 12, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »

Yes, i knew these posts were coming..."loser mentality".  LOL..this is reality.  I can accept that we hired a once in a lifetime coach 30 years ago that brought me more joy than i could have imagined.  I can also understand the difficulty of repeating that.  That doesn't make me a loser.  I "hope" we can hire a great coach that can compete for titles.  I "hope" we can be more successful with this hire than Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, (this list is sooo long) all schools we have so many advantages over.  :rolleyes:  The best AD in the world would/will struggle to identify and secure the next great coach.  Time will tell.  I'm pretty confident i have a firm grasp on expectations.  Those of you who don't.......
a loser mentality is accepting failure, which you are clearly doing and so does 80% of our fanbase