Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980765 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9625 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I go back and forth on the Big East.  If we do go with KU and MU to make a twelve team conference, I'm getting more excited about it.  The basketball goes without saying.

The kicker is getting a TV model like what the Pac-12 is getting.  If they're really going to do something like that, I'm all for it.  The basketball would be unreal on that channel.

There would be some amazing PR as well being in an east coast media darling conference.

But...I want to make sure KU and MU are there.  Keeping those rivals around means something to me.
This.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: September 05, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »
I go back and forth on the Big East.  If we do go with KU and MU to make a twelve team conference, I'm getting more excited about it.  The basketball goes without saying.

The kicker is getting a TV model like what the Pac-12 is getting.  If they're really going to do something like that, I'm all for it.  The basketball would be unreal on that channel.

There would be some amazing PR as well being in an east coast media darling conference.

But...I want to make sure KU and MU are there.  Keeping those rivals around means something to me.
This.

I don't give a crap about that, I just think having them would be great for stability, which is why I'm pro that idea.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: September 05, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
everyone knows that the big east is for rejects.  i'd be okay with that, but not happy about it.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

Any theory as to why the solidarity amongst the schools in Oklahoma exists, but not here?

Retaining those rivalries mean something to a lot of people.  

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: September 05, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
“@ChipBrownOB: Texas wants to hold the Big 12 together. Hard to believe, but true. In intense discussions with OU. May or may not work out.”
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9630 on: September 05, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »

Any theory as to why the solidarity amongst the schools in Oklahoma exists, but not here?

OU has a President and AD that actually care about the well being of their state.  They also know the purpose of their universities to their state.  KU has a Chancellor that wants KU to seem like its a Public Ivy when its really no different than any other "University of" university in any midwestern state.  She has a stick up her ass, trying to play up the, "we are elite, you are not worthy" bullshit self image that liberal "elite" universities have.  She is basically President Garcia Thompson.  She cares more about how people in California and New York perceive her university rather than it executing its purpose within it's state.  Outside of the "EPAW" areas of Anderson Hall, our administration sees the KU bullshit for what it is.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:41:32 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
“@ChipBrownOB: Texas wants to hold the Big 12 together. Hard to believe, but true. In intense discussions with OU. May or may not work out.”

It's funny that Chip finds that hard to believe.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: September 05, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
I go back and forth on the Big East.  If we do go with KU and MU to make a twelve team conference, I'm getting more excited about it.  The basketball goes without saying.

The kicker is getting a TV model like what the Pac-12 is getting.  If they're really going to do something like that, I'm all for it.  The basketball would be unreal on that channel.

But...I want to make sure KU and MU are there.  Keeping those rivals around means something to me.

OU has a President and AD that actually care about the well being of their state.  They also know the purpose of their universities to their state.  KU has a Chancellor that wants KU to seem like its a Public Ivy when its really no different than any other "University of" university in any midwestern state.  She has a stick up her ass, trying to play up the, "we are elite, you are not worthy" bullshit self image that liberal "elite" universities have.  She is basically President Garcia Thompson.  She cares more about how people in California and New York perceive her university rather than it executing its purpose within it's state.  Outside of the "EPAW" areas of Anderson Hall, our administration sees the KU bullshit for what it is.

Things just got real
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
http://www.baylor.edu/nation/index.php?id=84714
I e-mailed all three university presidents and told them to "kiss my ass"... does that help Baylor?  :ck:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: September 05, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
http://www.baylor.edu/nation/index.php?id=84714
I e-mailed all three university presidents and told them to "kiss my ass"... does that help Baylor?  :ck:

hmmm....

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
Does the SEC want this blood on their hands? They're the bad guy for what? Texas A&M? While the big fish go the Pac 12?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

OU has a President and AD that actually care about the well being of their state.  They also know the purpose of their universities to their state.  KU has a Chancellor that wants KU to seem like its a Public Ivy when its really no different than any other "University of" university in any midwestern state.  She has a stick up her ass, trying to play up the, "we are elite, you are not worthy" bullshit self image that liberal "elite" universities have.  She is basically President Garcia Thompson.  She cares more about how people in California and New York perceive her university rather than it executing its purpose within it's state.  Outside of the "EPAW" areas of Anderson Hall, our administration sees the KU bullshit for what it is.

This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: September 05, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »

Thanks, Rush.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9639 on: September 05, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »

Wow.  Shocking.

My bet?  It works out, and OU gets some sort of concession.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:41:21 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »

Oh, I think the KBOR has a significant interest in keeping us together, but maybe they think we dodged a bullet last summer, and if put in that situation again, in hindsight, they wouldn't do it again.

I have no idea what the relationship is between the two administrations.  I'm sure, in a perfect world, we'd like to stick together, but the reality is that there probably aren't many conferences that would take us as a package deal.  Maybe ten years ago when we were killing it in football and had been for several years, but now, probably not.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: September 05, 2011, 11:43:16 PM »
Does the SEC want this blood on their hands? They're the bad guy for what? Texas A&M? While the big fish go the Pac 12?

not to go all pike, but in the last week, ou 180'd their talking points of the last year+, conveniently setting up a&m leaving as a conference killer prior to an official sec vote on accepting a&m.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: September 05, 2011, 11:50:50 PM »

not to go all pike, but in the last week, ou 180'd their talking points of the last year+, conveniently setting up a&m leaving as a conference killer prior to an official sec vote on accepting a&m.

:horrorsurprise:

Astute observation.  Great point.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »
This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

Well, feel how you want about her, there was no need to go out of her way to scream "ksu and ku are not connected" unless she was just being an arrogant prick.

Offline EMAWgeddon

• Combo-Fan
  • Go away, I'm walking on sunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
This is the same woman that was eating dinner with the Colorado Prez the night before they left the conference and had no idea anything was happening.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9645 on: September 06, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »
This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

Well, feel how you want about her, there was no need to go out of her way to scream "ksu and ku are not connected" unless she was just being an arrogant prick.

My personal feeling is that she could care less about athletics but after last year was told she had to care, so now she says what she thinks will make KU fans happy and/or what will placate donors based on conversations with her.

Virginia and Virginia Tech don't have to be in the same conference either, but they don't both report to the same BOR, either.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:01 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

My bet?  It works out, and OU gets some sort of concession.

Part of the concession needs to be new leadership in the league office.  We desperately need a galvanizing force that from this point going forward that is going to provide some vision, some aggressiveness, and some confidence amongst our conference institutions.  Right now we have none of the above.  

The perception has to change that this a dead conference.

If OU comes back to the table, we need to start this conference over from scratch.  Tear it down and rebuild it all levels.  Replace Beebe, clean house, and restructure it all.

The other part of the concessions are some legitimate contracts for membership.  None of this good faith moving forward bullshit so we can avoid the same Texas A&M scenario from playing out every single offseason without real repercussions.   You're in or your out.  And if you're in, it's a longterm commitment.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:24:01 AM by wabash909 »

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »

My personal feeling is that she could care less about athletics but after last year was told she had to care, so now she says what she thinks will make KU fans happy and/or what will placate donors based on conversations with her.

Virginia and Virginia Tech don't have to be in the same conference either, but they don't both report to the same BOR, either.

Yeah, this doesn't have everything to do with athletics. If it did, Colorado would not have gotten a pac-10 bid.

This is more about general perception of schools, athletics included.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: September 06, 2011, 12:22:29 AM »

:dubious:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

She answered a question, was she supposed to lie?  Besides what does that have to do with what Hamburglar said?  I don't feel anything about her, she is a sports aloof Chancellor.  I am dumbfounded how any sports fan could have any strong feelings about her.  I mean...

This is the same woman that was eating dinner with the Colorado Prez the night before they left the conference and had no idea anything was happening.

LOL at the idea that she will make any decision about this without being told what to do.  There's not a damn thing wrong with her not knowing what the hell is going on with this crap.  Bowen Loftin is going to get his football coach and AD fired in 3 or 4 years simply because he's a meatpeeper who seems to be dumb about the needs of his athletic department.