Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135820 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #1025 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »
I’m not sure if you are serious but if you are we could start here

Harris did with The Bell Curve author Charles Murray. In that interview, which first aired almost a year ago, the two argued that African Americans are, for a combination of genetic and environmental reasons, intrinsically and immutably less intelligent than white Americans,
You're going to have to point me to what he actually said, rather than someone else's questionable synopsis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 04, 2018, 12:26:15 AM »
Is this someone important ^^^^? Seems so but nobody seems to act that way. I see it a lot in my line of work, overly self confident usually means someone pretending to be someone they aren’t qualified to be.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 04, 2018, 12:33:21 AM »
Harris? He's pretty self-confident. But I've listened to a lot of his work, and if someone can show me that he said that African Americans are genetically and immutably less intelligent, then I will spin on a rough ridin' dime, and he will lose all credibility to me. I doubt he said that, though.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 04, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
Harris? He's pretty self-confident. But I've listened to a lot of his work, and if someone can show me that he said that African Americans are genetically and immutably less intelligent, then I will spin on a rough ridin' dime, and he will lose all credibility to me. I doubt he said that, though.

I used to read Sam Harris. I became increasingly convinced that he really just wasn't anywhere nearly as smart as his own high self-conception.

There was a whole very online bruhaha about the Murray interview and then Sam got very mad about something Vox published and published his email correspondence with Ezra Klein (the same move he pulled with Chomsky) which made Harris look stupid in both cases. Harris subsequently had a podcast with Klein and came off very poorly again. Going toe to toe with Chomsky and looking foolish is one thing, but getting owned by Ezra freaking Klein is probably a lot to do with why he now considers the rest of the goofs at that table his peers.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 04, 2018, 01:46:14 AM »
I'll admit I haven't given him any attention in the past year. I'll look into it.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 04, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »
I read the bell curve like 25 years ago when it came out and it is pure nazi trash
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »

Harris did with The Bell Curve author Charles Murray. In that interview, which first aired almost a year ago, the two argued that African Americans are, for a combination of genetic and environmental reasons, intrinsically and immutably less intelligent than white Americans,
Yeah, if you actually listened you would find that to be about the most misleading version of a synopsis possible.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 04, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

Yeah, if you actually listened you would find that to be about the most misleading version of a synopsis possible.

Why do these dweebs always seem to hold or lend a voice to questionable views and then argue that they don't actually support those views on a technically or a lack of context. I don't want to listen to a two hour podcast to understand why Harris doesn't really think blacks are less intelligent than whites on the technicality that he only supports the science and people have been unfairly mean to Charles Murray. (Or whatever his rationale for avoiding alignment with Murray is)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 04, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »

How would you articulate his viewpoints on the matter?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 05, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
https://trib.al/mrPMHY2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
he's a weird guy for sure.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 09, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »

he just seems like he lies/makes stuff up a lot for a guy that says always be truthful.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 09, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »

How would you articulate his viewpoints on the matter?
Sorry, I missed this over the 4th, but this is part of my response from a text thread w/ a few people about the Klein/Harris spat a few months back. I think it holds reasonably well here:

On the podcast itself (which I listened to over a year ago) the main assertion agreed to by Harris was:
If intelligence is a measurable, heritable trait, we would expect there to be differences in populations of different races, as there are in other heritable traits.

Despite that, Harris says it would be immoral to judge an individual based on these population level trait differences, given the amount of overlap between populations and variance within the population.

Murray did cite research on the podcast, showing East Asians > White Americans > African-Americans in terms of measured intelligence at a population level.

I have not read the original research or Murray's book based on it.  In what has been dug up about Murray since, it sounds like he may indeed be a racist piece of crap, but I don’t think you would come to that conclusion from this podcast unless you were trying to. 

:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

he just seems like he lies/makes stuff up a lot for a guy that says always be truthful.

There is another part of that podcast where he takes 5 minutes to tell this story of how he's walking in an LA barrio (very scary) and someone pulls up in a car and thanks him for changing their life. It's very trumpian.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 09, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »

There is another part of that podcast where he takes 5 minutes to tell this story of how he's walking in an LA barrio (very scary) and someone pulls up in a car and thanks him for changing their life. It's very trumpian.
I do think his self-help stuff has helped a lot of people.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 09, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »
I think you missed my point. I have no doubt he has helped people, but this particular story was trumpian in its telling. I was expanding on the lies/makes stuff up point.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 09, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
I think you missed my point. I have no doubt he has helped people, but this particular story was trumpian in its telling. I was expanding on the lies/makes stuff up point.
And I'm saying that it wouldn't shock me if the story was true. 

People that like him tend to be pretty genuinely nuts about him.  There's a reason he's selling out all of these venues and it's not just his seemingly hyperbolic political stances.  His telling of the story may have been tacky/trumpian (i haven't heard the podcast so i don't know), but i definitely think it's believable that someone stopped him to shower him in praise or gratitude or whatever based on their belief that his advice improved their life in some way.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
absurd.  no way that would stand.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
we have a majority on the Supreme Court that think the free speech rights of corporations are more important than those of individuals.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »
we have a majority on the Supreme Court that think the free speech rights of corporations are more important than those of individuals.
link?