Author Topic: Marcus Foster  (Read 262865 times)

catzacker

Re: Marcus Foster
« Reply #1175 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
man, I remember when Beasley only scored 5 points against Xavier.  Frank prolly should have sat his ass the rest of the season. I mean, when you look at that one game, it should give you enough data to extrapolate.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 01, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
man, I remember when Beasley only scored 5 points against Xavier.  Frank prolly should have sat his ass the rest of the season. I mean, when you look at that one game, it should give you enough data to extrapolate.

No one is suggesting that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
Marcus is still our best player and I obviously want him to stay, but one of the biggest reasons he was so much better than everyone else is that he was the only guard willing to be a threat. We spent 90% of the season with Nigel, Wes, and Justin completely unwilling to step up. I'll assume that part of that reason is that Marcus is so ball dominant, but those guys can't get a pass for not doing anything. We had a stretch where Jevon was our #2 guard scoring threat.

Marcus' suspension and subsequent reduction in playing time has put these guys in a position to be more assertive and it's working for them. There has been a couple of changes in roles that has seemed to help Justin and Nigel but hurt Marcus. I'd like all of these guys to stay and I'd like to see what the offense looks like with multiple guards willing to be assertive, maybe the coaches would be confident enough to pick up the pace.

catzacker

« Reply #1178 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »

We're not better off with Foster if he's going to play like crap.

seems like it.  i mean, Jevon can play like crap, but play him.  Wes has sucked something rough ridin' awful for like the entire damn season, he's in.  Edwards hasn't even looked like he knew he was playing basketball for the entire rough ridin' season, he's in.  nigel, according to oscar, doesn't even know we have scouting reports, he's in.

but for god's rough ridin' sake, don't play marcus.  don't.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 01, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »
You should have gotten a shirt that said "I am not the weak link".

Oh, I didn't play.  I just pestered the coach constantly.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 01, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »

seems like it.  i mean, Jevon can play like crap, but play him.  Wes has sucked something rough ridin' awful for like the entire damn season, he's in.  Edwards hasn't even looked like he knew he was playing basketball for the entire rough ridin' season, he's in.  nigel, according to oscar, doesn't even know we have scouting reports, he's in.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement that the team is always better when Foster is in. It was at one point, but maybe he decided to transfer and quit trying or something. Things change.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 01, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »

Zacker, what are you arguing? It seems pretty obvious that chum isn't advocating for a permanent benching of Marcus but in situations like yesterday when it was pretty obvious he didn't have it and the offense worked better when he was out, there's nothing controversial about that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 01, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »
Marcus has still played 70% of the minutes available this season. He's in a funk since his suspension that he can't seem to get out of. Hopefully this next week it will happen.

It seemed this past week that the guys finally decided they could win without Marcus playing well. Of course, this wasn't some conscious thing, but clearly from Nino's comment of "We live and die by Marcus, he always takes the big shots for us" there was a belief that they couldn't win without him playing well. It took other guys like Nigel stepping up and finally finishing games to do it (playing at home helped), but its nice to see that barrier broken. If things can get figured out with Foster and he's back next year with most of the other players, then this team "could" be better off for it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Rodney and jake used to constantly be running around screens to get looks.  Marcus is either in terrible shape and can't do that or isn't willing to

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 01, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
Rodney and jake used to constantly be running around screens to get looks.  Marcus is either in terrible shape and can't do that or isn't willing to

There's some truth to all of that but our offense doesn't set off ball screens to get shots for guards.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

This isn't even close. When Foster was in, we were outscored by 22.

SUB OUT: Foster, Marcus  15:53  2-10  -8
SUB IN : Foster, Marcus  12:06  12-10 +10
SUB OUT: Foster, Marcus  05:58  21-29 -10
SUB IN : Foster, Marcus  12:52  45-53 0
SUB OUT: Foster, Marcus  10:36  48-60 -4
0:00  70-69 +13

The team definitely had better stretches of play with him off the court, but they're still a better team with him on the court.

Should he have played more yesterday?
Yes

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 01, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
Foster played well against KU for the most part. He didn't hit shots and forced some up. But played well.

Edwards probably had is best half as a wildcat yesterday. I think that has a little to do with Foster not playing in the second half.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 01, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »

mcgruder and pullen could catch, change momentum and shoot.  foster is not great at that.  he's better with his momentum going towards the basket or stationary.  he has an amazingly fast release and good elevation, so he also doesn't really need to be running the baseline past a double pick to get open.

i'm sure there are lots of things that could be done to get foster more good shots and lots he could do to help that.  but i don't think having him in constant motion looking for a catch and shoot off a ton of picks is the right option for him.

and yeah, he also doesn't have great endurance.  another reason the above wouldn't help.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1188 on: March 01, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
and yeah, he also doesn't have great endurance.  another reason the above wouldn't help.

Does anyone on this team have great endurance? I'm not sure how to evaluate strength and conditioning outside of subjective visual judgements, but it feels like the team, as a whole, lacks conditioning.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »

Does anyone on this team have great endurance? I'm not sure how to evaluate strength and conditioning outside of subjective visual judgements, but it feels like the team, as a whole, lacks conditioning.

Right you are, right you are

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 01, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

they're ridiculously soft.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »

The team definitely had better stretches of play with him off the court, but they're still a better team with him on the court.

Yes

I may have, too, if there were like 1000 games in a season. Even then, though, things happen. Maybe a player gets injured for the first time in his career, for example, and he looks like he can run and jump, yet has stat line is full of zeros. I wouldn't leave him in the lineup just because his season or career stats are the best.

It's interesting, I think, that not only did the team have better stretches when Foster was out, and not only was the overall scoring differential 45 (!) points, but all negative scoring differentials came only when Foster was in. Coincidence or red flag?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »

Yes

I may have, too, if there were like 1000 games in a season. Even then, though, things happen. Maybe a player gets injured for the first time in his career, for example, and he looks like he can run and jump, yet has stat line is full of zeros. I wouldn't leave him in the lineup just because his season or career stats are the best.

It's interesting, I think, that not only did the team have better stretches when Foster was out, and not only was the overall scoring differential 45 (!) points, but all negative scoring differentials came only when Foster was in. Coincidence or red flag?

It's not particularly interesting or meaningful.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1193 on: March 01, 2015, 06:01:03 PM »
It's definitely meaningful. I suppose some people might not find it interesting.
Foster was dogshit against ku and isu. It's good that Edwards and Nigel have stepped up.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 01, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
If it's just a coincidence, it's a pretty interesting one.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:28 PM »
Raises questions like: is oscar sabotaging Foster so he can get the tucks on his side!?!?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 01, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
Is it?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 01, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »
Raises questions like: is oscar sabotaging Foster so he can get Chum1 on his side!?!?

yes, yes I do believe he is.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 01, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

they're ridiculously soft.

Yeah, Nigel puking and cramping during a game in February is a sign that it's time for a new strength coach.

catzacker

« Reply #1199 on: March 01, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
Is it?

I think one data point is always meaningful enough to make decisions/projections. Take oscar's head coaching record for example.