Author Topic: ExBruces 2015-16  (Read 82663 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: ExBruces 2015-16
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »
you can't win at WVU, what are you crazy?

https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/692192504272281604

6 days prior:

Texas 56 @ WVU 49

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
I'm surprised he didn't blame the altitude.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
How is it JFK gets assassinated, but this guys still running the streets?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
He would have preferred they not get 2 technical fouls. That really screwed us.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »

4 FTs and the ball and we get 1 point. That was really nice.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

6 days prior:

Texas 56 @ WVU 49

it's this kind of crap that I just can't take.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »

That was an actual thing he said.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »

6 days prior:

Texas 56 @ WVU 49

Yes, its this. I mean, oscar doesn't/can't even come across as remotely likable most of the time.

But he's going to be a coach for at least 5 more years.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:53:14 AM by royals&ksu_FAN »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
he is such a rough ridin' loser.

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Ref's fault. Our young kids couldn't handle the irony.

“I think it’s always ironic, you get two technicals and we go 1-for-4 from the line,” Kansas State coach oscar Weber said. “I think if you go study the next foul calls, I think it changed a lot. But that’s basketball and they’re a good team. He’s got them playing hard and they’ve got a lot of confidence and play well.”
  --http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/holton-leads-no-9-west-virginia-over-kansas-state-70-55

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »

6 days prior:

Texas 56 @ WVU 49

Yes, its this. I mean, oscar doesn't can't even come across as remotely likable most of the time.

But he's going to be a coach for at least 5 more years.
Its also amazing that the writers/hacks that cover KSU sports aren't good enough to challenge these statements from oscar. They just lap it up and regurgitate it back without any actual investigation or checking on their own.  Why even have them in the first place?  Just hire a stenographer to copy and paste if you can't bother to do any analysis.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
Its not new at all though.

Remember this from Kellis last year?

https://twitter.com/scottwildcat/status/565917199689191425

Kansas State’s basketball coach is starting to sound like a man with a million excuses. Here are some he has used this season:

The nonconference schedule was too hard, playing Long Beach State on the road was a mistake, the Maui Invitational was too taxing, the basketball gods aligned themselves behind Texas Southern, the officials were bad and K-State players had poor body language. In past years, he has also complained about the Big 12’s schedule.

He hasn’t pointed the finger much at himself, at least publicly, but he did take blame for the Texas Tech loss last week.

“I haven’t done a good enough job as I should,” Weber said, “and that is why we are in the predicament we are in.”

Fans always prefer a coach that blames himself instead of players (he coaches them, after all) and outside factors (he can adapt to them as coach, after all). LHC Bill Snyder is a master at taking blame after losses and vowing to make things right. Weber hasn’t done much of that this season. It’s hard to say what players think of that, or if they even read his comments in the media.

But this Weber comment struck me after the West Virginia loss: “We finally got over the hump and took the lead. I was just hoping and praying that some good things would happen.”

That statement does not show much confidence, and it seemed to rub off on players.

Here is what Nigel Johnson said about the final minutes against West Virginia: “We fought hard. I guess that is all we could do. I wish we could have pulled it out. It’s whoever gets lucky, I guess.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article10073117.html#storylink=cpy

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
that article is it in a nutshell and part of the reason why most rational Illinois fans grew to hate him. texas just beat wvu at wvu and here we are with our loser of a coach just hoping that we can go in there and compete. that is why we are terrible on the road and that is why we will never have of a chance of winning anything significant under him ever again. the tough players are long gone and his players will all take his mentality of just hoping they can be just be competitive because that is all he expects and all he hopes for.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Why does K-State let him talk?  Most standard coach contracts mandate extra media things like tv and radio shows, and the purpose is schools want those things to market the program.  But K-State's coach does more harm than good.  Then of course there's probably league/ncaa-mandated media sessions, but K-State could order him to shut up.

No more intro statements at pressers or calls - he could do a Rasheed-esque "both teams played hard" for that - and then dictate that he do nothing but Popovich-style answers/disdain for all questions and not say a single thing of substance.  Or have him be sick every time and run Chet out there.

All of the above makes the leap that K-State would hire Illinois' discarded trash who also happens to have some of the worst social skills in college basketball coaching, and then let him do his thing for years unchecked.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
He is considerably better than his peers.  I don't know why you guys have to be so negative.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »
Every day when i show up at work, i hope an pray that my work gets done well and everything works right.  Some days i get over the hump and produce a good product, other days days i don't get lucky.  What-are-you-gonna-do-right?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
Every day when i show up at work, i hope an pray that my work gets done well and everything works right.  Some days i get over the hump and produce a good product, other days days i don't get lucky.  What-are-you-gonna-do-right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDV2_HT-eA8

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
I am not mad at oscar for saying them, as you said he's been doing this for years.  I am more pointing out the sheer ineptitude of the people who cover him.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
http://www.kansas.com/video/

The most telling quote to me wasn't the one about being able to compete there, but the one about what WVU's press does to you.

oscar said this: "it takes me, or our coaching staff, out of the game".

All coaches have egos and it shows somewhere in how they operate and that's fine, but this one is just ridiculous. It goes along with when oscar often says "I guess" after most comments he makes about something being his responsibility.

oscar clearly believes in what he can do as a coach, as well he should, but too often it overrides what he believes his players can do. He's basically saying "my players can't do it without me" in these situations where he can't call his sets and run his stuff because of how WVU makes you play. Its always been my belief that while coaches have a large role on game days, the real work from a coach comes during the week in practice and preparation. You better be preparing your players for exactly what oscar is talking about, when your opponent takes away your first or second option or what you want to do and your players have to react and make plays. That's exactly your job as a coach; not just to call the perfect set or play or offense, but games are for players to make plays in the midst of the structure and scheme that you've created. If you haven't prepared them to be play makers and make good decisions and make plays then its on you as a coach. You a) haven't prepared them good enough to do so and b) you haven't recruited players that you can coach to play the way you would like in those situations. That's obviously a fundamental difference in how I view coaching and how oscar does and it bothers me more every time I hear him say this stuff.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
"They make you play basketball."

:horrorsurprise:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »
oscar coaches the crap out of his players.  Constantly reminding them that they need to put hands up on D.  What else can he do.  You press him, and he just has to sit there and wait until we are on D again so that he can interject the wisdom of "HANDS!". 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »

wow, he really said that

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »

As opposed to Bruceketball. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

Yeah, its crazy.

And by no means am I absolving players from responsibility because they absolutely have to do their part. The language you use when talking about your team matters and it sets the tone for your entire program. oscar is terrible at it and I think that contributes to all the problems he has maintaining a program more than 2 or 3 years into a program. I think he absolutely knows the game and can coach it, otherwise he wouldn't have achieved the level of success he did with Bill's and Frank's players, but he completely struggles maintaining it when he has to keep coaching guys for multiple years. I think too many guys see through what he says and bail on him at some point.