Author Topic: Jesse Ertz (Lack of)Medical Redshirt Thread  (Read 6745 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Jesse Ertz (Lack of)Medical Redshirt Thread
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
K-State quarterback Jesse Ertz on Tuesday confirmed an earlier suggestion by a K-State spokesperson that it's doubtful the NCAA will grant the senior quarterback a medical redshirt, which would give Ertz another season of eligibility in 2018. Ertz was injured on the first play from scrimmage in the 2015 season and missed the remainder of that campaign. It was believed that he might retain the season, which would ultimately give him status as a junior for 2017.

"I don’t think it’s final, I just don’t have expectations to get it," Ertz said. "It’s very doubtful, but I kind of moved past it a while ago because of how slow it was coming. Yeah, it’s unfortunate. It would’ve been nice for last year to be the year before that and then build off of it. It all happens for a reason, so I’m not too caught up on it. Hopefully, this season is the season that we can do special stuff."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:05:31 PM by scottwildcat »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Jesse Ertz (Lack of)Medical Redshirt Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:39:37 PM »
Why would they not grant a medical? Is it because he supported Kap?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »
we probably can't prove that injury stopped him from playing in 2013 (his redshirt year) because we named him Scout Team Player of the Year

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
This puts a massive damper on my high hopes for 2018

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »
The Year

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
A bunch of Busch league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
Surely if that drunk from ou can get one....
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
This puts a massive damper on my high hopes for 2018

Skylar is good, man.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
I don't know why they ever thought he'd get it.  There was no way the NCAA was going to grant him a 6th year with him running the scout team in 2013.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »
Agreed

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »
I don't think I'd want Jesse for 2018 TBH
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »
I don't think I'd want Jesse for 2018 TBH

agreed
after this year, ol' jesse needs to be put out to pasture

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
we probably can't prove that injury stopped him from playing in 2013 (his redshirt year) because we named him Scout Team Player of the Year

haha, did not know we did that. what a bonehead move. at least make up a fake name for the STPOTY. Bronco Hurtz or some crap.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
Even if we didn't play him on the scout team, I don't think it would have mattered.  We would have had to have the team doctors falsify his records.  The NCAA looks at that stuff to determine if the season was lost due to injury.  I think they even have a doctor on contract to review scans & records to determine if players should have been cleared to play.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »

haha, did not know we did that. what a bonehead move. at least make up a fake name for the STPOTY. Bronco Hurtz or some crap.

Should have just given the award to Waters.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
kinda sucks because i really like Jesse the guy and Jesse the stud stiff arm qb too and would love to see what a 3 year starter at qb would do

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Even if we didn't play him on the scout team, I don't think it would have mattered.  We would have had to have the team doctors falsify his records.  The NCAA looks at that stuff to determine if the season was lost due to injury.  I think they even have a doctor on contract to review scans & records to determine if players should have been cleared to play.

So does a player have to lose two full seasons to injury to qualify for a hardship? I know Ertz and Jason White are more than a decade apart, but I'm pretty sure White actually saw game action in five straight seasons and still got to come back in '04. Two of those seasons were mop-up duty, but Ertz took zero snaps in '13 and two in '15. Rules might have changed since White, but I've never understood how these decisions are made. From what I've read, I'm not sure the people making the decisions do, either.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:18 AM »

So does a player have to lose two full seasons to injury to qualify for a hardship? I know Ertz and Jason White are more than a decade apart, but I'm pretty sure White actually saw game action in five straight seasons and still got to come back in '04. Two of those seasons were mop-up duty, but Ertz took zero snaps in '13 and two in '15. Rules might have changed since White, but I've never understood how these decisions are made. From what I've read, I'm not sure the people making the decisions do, either.

@steffy

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »

this would be no big whoop

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline KsuWildcatsXII

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
@steffy

?

sorry, steffy is kind of the resident expert on these matters

Ha, oh. I thought you were calling me steffy. I'll figure this board out one of these days.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
I'm not gonna lose faith that Ertz can get injured enough this upcoming season to try to still get this thing somehow.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

You have to loose 2 seasons due to injury.  Getting a medical redshirt to get back 1 of 4 years of playing eligibility & getting a 6th year on your 5 year clock are 2 different things.  Jason White had 2 catastrophic injuries that qualified him for medical red shirts, which effectively is the criteria for a 6th year.  The NCAA is saying Ertz didn't lose enough playing time in 2013 to qualify.  He could have played part of 2013 if he/KSU wanted him to.  Saying "He was injuried for the beginning of the year, so we decided not to burn a year the second half of the year" is not enough.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
How the eff was Ertz practicing on the scout team with a torn acl, and why was I watching Billy Hubener and a WR play QB all season??????
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd