Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980612 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9550 on: September 05, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »
So Pittsburgh changes divisions between the two sports?  C'mon Oldefella, you're better than that...

plus it kinda sounds like it'd be mizzou instead of iowa state

I think he's assuming MU to SEC

I'm now flipping back and forth with who I want the SEC to take.  I can't decide if I'd rather have Mizzou or WVU in the new BE.  I'm leaning towards hoping the SEC takes Mizzou and leaves WVU in the BE, but I think they'll take WVU so they don't have to screw with their divisions.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »
one hour ago from chip brown....

Texas considering all options ...   Reply
Whether it was the political pressure put on Texas over the weekend or the Longhorns' determination to hold onto their own television network, it appears Texas is going to take its time before making any decisions about UT's future.

A source close to Texas said UT's commitment to the Longhorn Network has caused Texas officials to explore all possible scenarios involving what's left of the Big 12 before contemplating a potential jump to the Pac-12.

The Pac-12 emerged as a very real destination for Texas on Friday when Oklahoma president David Boren said no one has been more active than the Sooners in exploring potential conference homes. Boren added that OU would not be a wallflower in any college realignment.

But Texas would not be allowed to preserve the Longhorn Network as it is currently contracted in the Pac-12, where there is equal revenue sharing. Sources close to the situation have said Texas could re-work LHN to accommodate the Pac-12, but it would mean Texas giving up much of the $300 million it is set to earn from ESPN over the next 20 years.

Orangebloods.com reported on Friday night that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call with Big 12 presidents excluding Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Sources said Beebe told the remaining Big 12 presidents to "work on Texas" with hope the Longhorns would stay in the Big 12 and possibly force OU to reconsider any thought of moving to the Pac-12.

A source close to Texas on Monday said the Longhorns will not make a quick decision and that a new possible scenario would include a potential partnership with members of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conference.

Such a partnership would include Texas' ability to maintain the Longhorn Network, the source said without giving further details.

Sources in the Texas Legislature on Sunday told Orangebloods.com pressure would be put on UT president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds to slow down any movement toward the Pac-12 or any movement that would collapse the Big 12.

Stay tuned.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »
jay wright in person at the bram. :love:

i know, right?  kinda makes this whole shitstorm seem worth it, if we land there.

also, frank against bob every year?  OMG.

This is kind of like God's way of saying you're a basketball school.

Enjoy the DOD for what it was, but get back to your roots.  Roundball.

LOL that you think we're still going to be good at basketball.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
At this point, I will be upset if the B12 stays together and we don't get a loser B12 school/BE mashup.  

You would, huh?  

yes

The Big 12 staying together would mean way more money for KSU when you factor in TV contracts, less teams to split it with, plus getting exit fees from A&M.  West side stadium remodeling could be done right.  Get to keep the CTR and other rivalries.  Easier to travel to road games, etc.  Yet all of a sudden the lure of joining the Big east and splitting a smaller pot 20 ways sounds attractive to you?!?

The Big East actually just turned down a deal that would net the football schools around 14-16 million. I'm sure KU, K-State and Mizzou would increase that or at the very least keep it around the numbers being tossed around in this article. Its not quite as much as what the Big XII would get after they renegotiate in 2015, but its not horrible.

"Using the figures the Big East reportedly turned down from ESPN -- $1.4 billion for nine years -- the league's nine football members (including TCU) would have earned between $14.5 million and $16.93 million a year, based on the football schools receiving 65 or 75 percent, respectively, of the media rights deal. The Big East's eight non-football schools would have received between $2.43 million (in a 25-75 percent split) and $3.2 million (35-65 percent split) annually."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15447626/big-east-preview-looming-tv-payday-could-lead-to-big-changes

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: September 05, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »

Whether it was the political pressure put on Texas over the weekend or the Longhorns' determination to hold onto their own television network, it appears Texas is going to take its time before making any decisions about UT's future.

A source close to Texas said UT's commitment to the Longhorn Network has caused Texas officials to explore all possible scenarios involving what's left of the Big 12 before contemplating a potential jump to the Pac-12.

The Pac-12 emerged as a very real destination for Texas on Friday when Oklahoma president David Boren said no one has been more active than the Sooners in exploring potential conference homes. Boren added that OU would not be a wallflower in any college realignment.

But Texas would not be allowed to preserve the Longhorn Network as it is currently contracted in the Pac-12, where there is equal revenue sharing. Sources close to the situation have said Texas could re-work LHN to accommodate the Pac-12, but it would mean Texas giving up much of the $300 million it is set to earn from ESPN over the next 20 years.

Orangebloods.com reported on Friday night that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call with Big 12 presidents excluding Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Sources said Beebe told the remaining Big 12 presidents to "work on Texas" with hope the Longhorns would stay in the Big 12 and possibly force OU to reconsider any thought of moving to the Pac-12.

A source close to Texas on Monday said the Longhorns will not make a quick decision and that a new possible scenario would include a potential partnership with members of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conference.

Such a partnership would include Texas' ability to maintain the Longhorn Network, the source said without giving further details.

Sources in the Texas Legislature on Sunday told Orangebloods.com pressure would be put on UT president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds to slow down any movement toward the Pac-12 or any movement that would collapse the Big 12.

Stay tuned.

In this scenario we are mumped... UT, Tech, Baylor, and KU go to make a 16 team conference.  In any scenario that doesn't involve UT going to the Pac then Baylor will be tied to UT.  Our only hope is that the SEC starts poaching ACC teams, but I doubt the SEC goes to 16 unless someone else does first.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:54:32 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9555 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
At this point, I will be upset if the B12 stays together and we don't get a loser B12 school/BE mashup.  

You would, huh?  

yes

The Big 12 staying together would mean way more money for KSU when you factor in TV contracts, less teams to split it with, plus getting exit fees from A&M.  West side stadium remodeling could be done right.  Get to keep the CTR and other rivalries.  Easier to travel to road games, etc.  Yet all of a sudden the lure of joining the Big east and splitting a smaller pot 20 ways sounds attractive to you?!?

The Big East actually just turned down a deal that would net the football schools around 14-16 million. I'm sure KU, K-State and Mizzou would increase that or at the very least keep it around the numbers being tossed around in this article. Its not quite as much as what the Big XII would get after they renegotiate in 2015, but its not horrible.

"Using the figures the Big East reportedly turned down from ESPN -- $1.4 billion for nine years -- the league's nine football members (including TCU) would have earned between $14.5 million and $16.93 million a year, based on the football schools receiving 65 or 75 percent, respectively, of the media rights deal. The Big East's eight non-football schools would have received between $2.43 million (in a 25-75 percent split) and $3.2 million (35-65 percent split) annually."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15447626/big-east-preview-looming-tv-payday-could-lead-to-big-changes

Good find/first post.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
by the way assholes. these chip brown posts just don't cut and paste themselves. your welcome.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: September 05, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »

Stay tuned.

Good dig Daris.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: September 05, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »

Stay tuned.

In this scenario we are mumped... UT, Tech, Baylor, and KU go to make a 16 team conference.  In any scenario that doesn't involve UT going to the Pac then Baylor will be tied to UT.  Our only hope is that the SEC starts poaching ACC teams, but I doubt the SEC goes to 16 unless someone else does first.

Partnership not Conference. And even then your assuming that the ACC has not been picked apart by the SEC. Remember how we were talking partnership with the PAC 10 before the whole PAC 12 thing came to be.
RIP Fatty

catzacker

« Reply #9559 on: September 05, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »
pfffft... the ACC?  Texas is going to find out that the only conference thst is willing to spread its ass ckeeks a part for them is the one they are in.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
by the way assholes. these chip brown posts just don't cut and paste themselves. your welcome.

I expect super elite finds from you. I don't expect them on someone's first post.

But you're right, Daris. Thank you for the scoops. Maybe you should consider changing your handle to scoops callahan jr.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »

Wasn't copy and pasted with zeal/optimism

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: September 05, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »

I expect super elite finds from you. I don't expect them on someone's first post.

But you're right, Daris. Thank you for the scoops. Maybe you should consider changing your handle to scoops callahan jr.

i wasn't ever going to talk about it on here but scoops is actually my son, so in a way i would have to be scoops callahan sr if anything.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »

i wasn't ever going to talk about it on here but scoops is actually my son, so in a way i would have to be scoops callahan sr if anything.

I've thought that for a while, but figured you would have brought it up if you wanted it to be public information.

I love your orangebloods.com copy/pastes and all, but if you think biological evidence warrants you being called scoops callahan sr, then  :lol: . Just  :lol: . You're going to have to outscoop him before you earn that title, jr.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
oldefella

ADMIN
Post #7927
The Purple Nation
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Big East Conference - What if?   Reply
So, Wildcats, would this break your hearts?

FOOTBALL

Big East Plains
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
TCU

Big East Appalachian
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
West Virginia

Each season, K-State would play Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville and TCU plus either Connecticut, Rutgers and Syracuse - or - Pittsburgh, South Florida and West Virginia plus 3 or 4 non-conference foes.

BASKETBALL

Big East Plains
Cincinnati
DePaul
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
Marquette
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
TCU

Big East Appalachian
Connecticut
Georgetown
Providence
Rutgers
St. John's
Seton Hall
USF
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

Each year, K-State would play Cincinnati, DePaul, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and TCU twice, plus Connecticut, Providence, St. John's and Villanova - or -Georgetown, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse and West Virginia once plus 7 non-conference foes.

In both sports, there would be conference championship games.

Seems to me we could do a LOT worse.

Posted on 9/5 10:58 AM | IP: Logged

No, it wouldn't break my heart, Oldefella.

No, it wouldn't.

Would take.

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
If this tweet is true by Dean Blevins (radio/TV guy in OKC). Its all over.

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins
#OU Pres DBoren was late 2 meet Stoops & AD JoeC Fri. Source:"Was cuttin deal (#Pac12) & happier than seen him n long time." #sooners #texas
12 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: September 05, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins
#OU Pres DBoren was late 2 meet Stoops & AD JoeC Fri. Source:"Was cuttin deal (#Pac12) & happier than seen him n long time." #sooners #texas

sounds like Dean Blevins is butt hurt that people don't think of him as cool as Chip Brown.
RIP Fatty

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
Welp, looks like it's probably the Big East. 

If so, pretty good conference. 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: September 05, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
jay wright in person at the bram. :love:

i know, right?  kinda makes this whole shitstorm seem worth it, if we land there.

also, frank against bob every year?  OMG.

This is kind of like God's way of saying you're a basketball school.

Enjoy the DOD for what it was, but get back to your roots.  Roundball.

LOL that you think we're still going to be good at basketball.

Kim, your Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) schtick was funny at first.  I didn't realize you were actually a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Welp, looks like it's probably the Big East. 

If so, pretty good conference. 

Is that what your super secret Meat Goat sources telling you?  :ksu:
RIP Fatty

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9570 on: September 05, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »

DeanBlevins Dean Blevins

If Dean says it, it's true.  He pretty much is bff's with OU pres/coach/ad.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: September 05, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
The question we are overlooking is what happens to Beebe now.  Will deloss throw him a bone as a lower level AD employee for his loyalty as his puppet or will Dan be forced to grovel to the NCAA to let him collect a paycheck.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: September 05, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
FrankMartinKSU Frank Martin
The biggest waste of time is worrying about things we can't control. Maximize who u r everyday & do +things 4 others & everything will b ok

God damn it Frank you're not helping  :curse: :curse:

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: September 05, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
FrankMartinKSU Frank Martin
The biggest waste of time is worrying about things we can't control. Maximize who u r everyday & do +things 4 others & everything will b ok

God damn it Frank you're not helping  :curse: :curse:

Frank is a light shining in the darkness. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: September 05, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
The question we are overlooking is what happens to Beebe now.  Will deloss throw him a bone as a lower level AD employee for his loyalty as his puppet or will Dan be forced to grovel to the NCAA to let him collect a paycheck.

wgaf