Author Topic: Nannies (LEGALLY)  (Read 2547 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nannies (LEGALLY)
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
I know some people that went the Au Pair route and were absolutely thrilled.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
That's a lot of work to have someone else raise your kids.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
I would probably just hire an illegal immigrant. No way they would rat me out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »
Looking into paying a nanny above board and Uncle Sam seems to really want to make it difficult.  Anyone have experience paying a nanny according to the rules (withholding social security & medicare, + paying unemployment taxes)?

I guess I don't understand what you're asking. Are you looking for a live-in nanny? If so I'd strongly recommend using a British Au Pair. You'll have more up front costs but less overall and the Au Pairs are generally better because they are more committed because they can't run home whenever. If you're just looking for a nanny to come and go I don't understand your tax question because nannies are independent contractors so they hear the burden of making.sure.those withholdings are taken care of. We had a nanny when we lived in Boston who came to our house 8 hours a day, we had to do some paperwork and sign some stuff for her, easy breezy.

A basic google search would tell you you are wrong about nannies being ICs. They are household employees.

And an au pair (live in nanny) is a BIG commitment that probably is not suitable for most folks. The idea that au pairs are “more committed” doesn’t make a lot of sense. One could argue that an AP is far less committed to caring for your child because they are primarily interested in the benefits to them (coming to the US, room and board, often a car, education, etc.) They’re also limited to 1 year. I’m going on 3 with my current nanny and consistency counts. Unless you are really interested in what amounts to hosting a foreign exchange student to take care of your kids, an AP is not worth the headache.

Yeah, I researched after I posted. Our nanny presented herself as an independent contractor so that's how we proceeded, oh well. I guess I know now that if we get audited I won't mention that we ever had a nanny.

You're wrong about the au pair thing though. They make sacrifices to come over here and do a difficult job. They want to be in America and know it can end quickly. I'm not sure how you can speak of a headache with Au Pairs if you've never used one.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I’ve hosted foreign exchange students. It can be an enriching experience. It can also be a lot of work. It is a significantly bigger undertaking and responsibility than hiring a nanny. There are pros and cons, but you better know what you’re getting into before going the au pair route.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »
I’ve hosted foreign exchange students. It can be an enriching experience. It can also be a lot of work. It is a significantly bigger undertaking and responsibility than hiring a nanny. There are pros and cons, but you better know what you’re getting into before going the au pair route.

That's fair. There's also a pretty big difference between hosting a high school student and employing an adult. My office manager also does placement for exchange students, yeesh, no thanks. This past summer we had an international camper here for the summer on her fourth different home.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »
Yea I don’t mind this being a broader thread but if I was looking for live in care I’d just ask either my mom or MIL. I’m not nearly fancy enough for any of that other stuff being discussed here.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
Why is this nanny hiring info coming across my Facebook feed now?

https://www.care.com/homepay