Author Topic: The Last Jedi discusso WITH SPOILERS  (Read 9731 times)

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Jedi discusso WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
Don't hold back

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
I thought the red dirt on the salt planet made a pretty cool visual effect.

The whole Finn/Rose side plot would have been ok with me if they would have been caught and then killed or sold into slavery or something. Putting them back where they started just made the whole thing a complete waste of time.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 02:24:18 AM »
First and worst. Wtf was up with those bombers? Totally implausible space battle weaponry, took me out of the whole thing.

And a handheld remote is the only way to "drop" them?  Jedi rough ridin' Christ

Not to mention the fact that every gargantuan space ship has a tickle spot that causes instant total destruction.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
I think the bombs just had to hit any spot on the ship. Everyone was yelling at that lady to drop them for like 10 minutes as she floated overhead, anyway.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
I think you had to be down where the dead guy was OR use the remote.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
I think the bombs just had to hit any spot on the ship. Everyone was yelling at that lady to drop them for like 10 minutes as she floated overhead, anyway.
They wouldn't have dropped though...unless the dreadnaught had its own gravitational pull....should have put little rockets on the bombs.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 08:19:52 AM »
Rey didn't come from nobody parents. Mark it down. Hot take.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
They wouldn't have dropped though...unless the dreadnaught had its own gravitational pull....should have put little rockets on the bombs.

Yeah. Also, am I remembering it wrong, or was the lady that dropped the bombs just laying at the bottom of the platform with open space below her?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »

Yeah. Also, am I remembering it wrong, or was the lady that dropped the bombs just laying at the bottom of the platform with open space below her?

Well she was laying on a platform at the bottom.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »

Well she was laying on a platform at the bottom.

Was she wearing any sort of space suit? It's also pretty odd that she fell down a ladder and was able to kick the remote down to her.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
yeah that bothered me a bit. like she was just breathing in open space

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »
yeah that bothered me a bit. like she was just breathing in open space

The bomb bay has an artificial atmosphere in it.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
Not knowing how Snoke came into power or who he is in general bothered me.  He was one of the biggest questions at the end of TFA.  The fact that they just killed him off and gave him no importance to the overall story line is baffling. 

I guess now Disney has a gap to make a new trilogy or side story.

Well we didn't know the Emperor's origin in the original trilogy either, right? Isn't it nearly the same?

Sure, but he (Emperor) was also part of the last movie (episode VI).  TLJ just killed Snoke off in the middle of the 2nd movie of this new trilogy.  In episodes I-III we learned more about the Emperor's background and how he coerced Anakin to the dark side.  I would really like to know how Snoke reached out to Kylo and did the same....maybe this will be answered in episode IX.

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
My point is, even when the Emperor died, you still didn't know his backstory. Snoke dying in the second movie just makes Kylo the big bad of the trilogy instead of Snoke.

What if Snoke shows up in the Han movie..... A young Snoke (maybe his name wasn't Snoke then) encounters and is swindled by Han....so then Snoke vows to ruin Han's life sometime in the future.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Something else implausible:  Remember in that one prequel where that red faced guy had the light saber that came out both ends?  It was like a light saber bo staff or something.  Well when all the jedi saw how badass that was they would probably all start using that type of light saber.  And yet in all these new movies no one has one.  Pretty implausible.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »
After taking a few days to mull over it more and talk to some friends on their takes of my gripes with the movie, I am still pissed with the general slow car chase in space, but I think the Yoda line of "failure is the greatest teacher" is much more the overarching lesson of the movie.

Literally everyone is making difficult decisions in difficult times and they are all failing, badly. But that the people making those decisions (especially after Snoke gets run through and Leia is unconscious) are in general young, or relatively inexperienced in positions on authority for both sides (Resistance and First Order), and I think that was the point of most of it. Kylo is super young, Hox or w/e isn't that much older, Finn/Rey/Poe are fairly young, and even Purple hair was a leader, but clearly in a subordinate role until called up.

I don't care about how/when Luke "dies", Rey coming from nothing, and while I wish I knew more about Snoke dying, I am kinda glad that potential loose end is done.

Going on the bombing run, I thought it was weird, no way that ship has enough gravity to pull them down towards it that fast, even a very big ship like Snoke's is still (and I looked it up) 60km in width, huge yes, but tiny compared to any planet or moon, let alone that deadnaught. I chalk it up to some sort of unseen propulsion at work. The bomb doors being open and her being fine is really no big deal, literally since the beginning there have been examples of what I am assuming big force field containment (see Millennium Falcon going onto the Death Star).
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
Something else implausible:  Remember in that one prequel where that red faced guy had the light saber that came out both ends?  It was like a light saber bo staff or something.  Well when all the jedi saw how badass that was they would probably all start using that type of light saber.  And yet in all these new movies no one has one.  Pretty implausible.

Yeah, I've been wondering this since the prequels. I mean, you could argue that with the fall of the Jedi, and the Jedi being scattered at the end of Ep 3, the info about the awesome bo staff light saber just didn't get transmitted.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

Yeah, I've been wondering this since the prequels. I mean, you could argue that with the fall of the Jedi, and the Jedi being scattered at the end of Ep 3, the info about the awesome bo staff light saber just didn't get transmitted.

I just assumed there were too many accidental impalings from opening the wrong end, so they were outlawed by galactic regulation. Just a safety thing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
All that and just choreography.  You can't really use a bo staff just holding it only in the center.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
ok, the hyperspace kamikaze attack. while inarguably the best scene in the movie, in the plot it was ridiculous and the fact that it was even possible totally changes what space warfare would have been like.

ok, if they knew this was possible, and they were sacrificing ships and people anyhow, why didn't they flip a bitch on that first straggling evacuated frigate and lightspeed jump it right into the center of that giant cheese wedge?

we already know that small starfighters and apparently even small escape pods can hyperjump, how are there not hyperspeed cruise missiles? all space wars would be fought from many thousands of kilometers away with devastating hyperspace missiles. no  bombers. no xwings. no tie fighters. no bombers

no bombers

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
taking lil sd to this friday. didn't read this probably garbage thread so as to avoid spoilers but I can't really follow what's going on from movie to movie anyway.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:44 AM »
Arcing cannonball shots from the big ship. Come on.............

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
ok, the hyperspace kamikaze attack. while inarguably the best scene in the movie, in the plot it was ridiculous and the fact that it was even possible totally changes what space warfare would have been like.

ok, if they knew this was possible, and they were sacrificing ships and people anyhow, why didn't they flip a bitch on that first straggling evacuated frigate and lightspeed jump it right into the center of that giant cheese wedge?

we already know that small starfighters and apparently even small escape pods can hyperjump, how are there not hyperspeed cruise missiles? all space wars would be fought from many thousands of kilometers away with devastating hyperspace missiles. no  bombers. no xwings. no tie fighters. no bombers

no bombers

I don't get the hyperspace criticism. Of course a ship that's a few miles long traveling through hyperspace is going to blow up whatever it hits. Han Solo made that point in the first movie. I think the movie made a good point of the First Order guys having every opportunity to shoot down the ship before it entered hyperspace and choosing not to. It's not a viable way of attacking if whoever you are trying to hit isn't that dumbass ginger guy.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »

you probably hate idris elba too you big jerk

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
I would think that a ship with hyperdrive capability would need a sophisticated collision avoidance system which would prevent that move from even being initiated.