Author Topic: Silver Dollar City  (Read 1200 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Silver Dollar City
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
The KSUDub family highly enjoyed it. Better than Disney? Yes, in many ways.

Lotta pros. Few cons. Appreciate that it's only a half-day drive and significantly cheaper. And Florida is super gross (although Branson is no picnic). Going in the fall made for awesome atmosphere.

People watching: way more hillbilly and old people, way less morbid obesity than Disney. I consider that a good trade because super fat people make me feel sad and icky. It's also important here because (con) the concourses are super narrow compared to Disney. This is because SDC is like combining a Six Flags with a renaissance festival. Vendors every damned where.

Rides generally kicked ass. SDC has some top notch roller coasters. Better than anything Disney offers with the exception of Everest. Wildfire and chowder Keg were silky smooth and intense. Some of the best I've done. The Outlaw was the most intense coaster I've ever done, but also a bit too bouncy for my tastes given that it is a wooden coaster. Another bonus: while park was crowded and kid rides took a while, I practically walked on to every coaster. Lots of good rides for kids, too. Contrary to some reports, however, Fire In The Hole sucked balls.

I would actually say SDC is better for kids because there are way more fun activity areas for them that don't require standing in line.

Cons: fewer stroller but way more old people on scooters + narrow concourses = pain in the ass. Way fewer staff made ride boarding process slower than it needs to be. Not enough signage to clearly direct you around the park and it can be quite confusing to navigate.

Disney has some great things, iconic rides, and slightly more sophisticated decoration, but I'd say SDC wins on points.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Dollar City
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:20 PM »
Hmm, I agree mostly.  Also con was it's too churchy with no booze.

Pros is it's close to table rock which is as close as you get to a rich guy lake around here.

And yes Fire in the hole is a tremendous pos

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Oh also amazed at how short lines were.  If you go after 3 your ticket good for next day too

The Big Train

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
I was in the SDC area this summer but didn't go.  I have in the past and I liked it, It's like going to a ren faire.  I'm a big thrill seeker and love me some roller coasters and they had a few good ones.

Did you smash a few giant turkey legs while you were there?  :lick:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
Just rode the rides, the little stones might have ate.  Then took the four winns out for a nice simunset/twilight cruise

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:53 PM »
Oh man, I totally forgot Marvel Cave. That was a highlight for sure. A tour sucks up nearly 2 hours of your day but it's totally worth it. Waaaay cooler than I expected!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
Fire.....in.....the....hoooooolllllleeeeeee

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
Used to be super scary walking down into Marvel Cave, now the stairs are covered.  Can't see the pitch black sinkhole you're going into.  :angry:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »
We caught the light just right in the cathedral room. That is one big cave.

free image hosting for websites

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
 :emawkid:
We caught the light just right in the cathedral room. That is one big cave.

free image hosting for websites
Were you there this weekend....Saturday? Was there fighting the mass of humanity this weekend.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Thursday-Friday.

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
Thursday-Friday.
OK, we were there Friday-Sunday