Author Topic: Schulz dumps us for Washington State  (Read 36363 times)

michigancat, mocat and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Schulz dumps us for Washington State
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
I will be interested to read the reasons he decided to leave.

Probably state legislature and 2025.

why would 2025 be a reason he is leaving?

because in 2025 K-State won't be anywhere near a top 50 public research institution despite some small progress toward some of the benchmarks

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
Kirk was starting to annoy me at the end, but big picture I think he did a lot of very good things.  I worry about trying to hire a University President in this environment

Promote Bosco. By the time the kids in grade school now reach college age, they won't even be able to do basic addition, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »

because in 2025 K-State won't be anywhere near a top 50 public research institution despite some small progress toward some of the benchmarks

I see. And the legislature is what's keeping KSU from getting there? I am actually asking.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »

If so, then him leaving is certainly not a good sign of things to come for KSU.  Well I suppose for those who see the University as more than a minor league sports program.

Yeah, I mean it would take a miracle worker to operate in this environment going forward and keep the university healthy.  He and Currie are absolute fundraising studs.  Particularly Kirk.  K-State is essentially a private institution at this point from a funding perspective.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »

If so, then him leaving is certainly not a good sign of things to come for KSU.  Well I suppose for those who see the University as more than a minor league sports program.

Yeah, I mean it would take a miracle worker to operate in this environment going forward and keep the university healthy.  He and Currie are absolute fundraising studs.  Particularly Kirk.  K-State is essentially a private institution at this point from a funding perspective.

so lets fire them both!  eff YA!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »

I see. And the legislature is what's keeping KSU from getting there? I am actually asking.

no, but the state legislature isn't helping.  They make his job much harder when they force call backs (actually return money the quarter in a FY) on money and constant cuts.  He is essentially a fundraiser (as are most university presidents).  In addition, the potential for campus carry and the absurd amount of headaches and controversy that will go with it is not fun. 

I think the campus and state climate are very bad right now and most of that has nothing to do with him.  People are worried about the funding.  He had been hoping to get the Virginia Tech job, when he didn't get that he still wanted to move on as things got worse.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
2 or 3 yrs ago one of them commented that at that time KSU was something like 95% private funding and if the trend at that time continued for another 5yrs, KSU would be fully private funded.  He obvsly wasn't saying it would ever get there, he was commenting on how quickly the private funding side had increased out of necessity.

Brownback just cut another 17Mill from the unis this quarter and next year's deficit is still looming.  We don't even have a court-acceptable funding plan in place for July 1st and I don't think anyone was even working on it until last week, supposedly.  Evidently, it usually takes most of the year's session to sort one out. 

So, state chaos is def a good reason to believe he left, imo.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
Clams, I need you to sit down.  The truth is that Kirk was Darth Vader and Currie the incompetent dude that Darth chokes before he blows up Alderaan (Frank).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »
the gun thing has nothing to do with it, washington state is the wild west when it comes to gun laws

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
Clams, I need you to sit down.  The truth is that Kirk was Darth Vader and Currie the incompetent dude that Darth chokes before he blows up Alderaan (Frank).

but in the end, we learn that darth vader was a good guy (spoiler alert!)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
In before hall

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »

Never, ever expected Snyder to outlast these dudes. Respect.

He's a machine, isn't he?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
'clams gonna 'clams

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
These concerns are not illegitimate, but K-State won't continue to be underfunded longterm. Even Kansans have a limit to the consequences they are willing to endure in the name of political idealism. Within the next decade, funding levels will be more in line with national averages. It's a temporary concern. Also, let's not pretend like Schulz and Currie are the only two human beings capable of raising funds. They did not make lateral moves to get here, even though they may make lateral moves to get out. There will still be some killer fundraisers looking for a promotion, that are also willing to deal with the constraints presented by temporarily low levels of public funding from our state legislature. It's true that we could hire the wrong people, and a less than ideal political atmosphere could exacerbate the effect of that hire. It's also true that we're very capable of making a good hire, maybe even bringing on someone that has vision, fundraising capabilities, and understands the cultural landscape of K-State better than their predecessor. To pretend that we are necessarily doomed is just incorrect.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
the gun thing has nothing to do with it, washington state is the wild west when it comes to gun laws

wrong
http://police.wsu.edu/firearmswac.html

And I could very well see it as an issue when 70% of employees say no, I believe the majority of students don't want it (need to double check), and the legislature still doesn't allow him to control his campus with a very reasonable campus gun policy.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
What makes you think KS will make corrective changes in 10 yrs?  the last 10 yrs?  No way.  Sure brownback is massively unpopular, but he was re-elected one yr ago and though ppl may be hating on him, the sentiments that put him in office twice now are still very much so alive and well.

I won't believe anything will change until I see more moderates elected for a term or two. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »
These concerns are not illegitimate, but K-State won't continue to be underfunded longterm. Even Kansans have a limit to the consequences they are willing to endure in the name of political idealism. Within the next decade, funding levels will be more in line with national averages. It's a temporary concern. Also, let's not pretend like Schulz and Currie are the only two human beings capable of raising funds. They did not make lateral moves to get here, even though they may make lateral moves to get out. There will still be some killer fundraisers looking for a promotion, that are also willing to deal with the constraints presented by temporarily low levels of public funding from our state legislature. It's true that we could hire the wrong people, and a less than ideal political atmosphere could exacerbate the effect of that hire. It's also true that we're very capable of making a good hire, maybe even bringing on someone that has vision, fundraising capabilities, and understands the cultural landscape of K-State better than their predecessor. To pretend that we are necessarily doomed is just incorrect.

I think you are underplaying the fundamental damage these right wing governments are doing to their state institutions.  Between Louisiana, Wisconsin, and Kansas we have a situation where we are creating real, lasting damage to the structures of these universities and, more profoundly, their reputations and legacies.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2016/03/university_of_wisconsin_and_the_aftermath_of_destroying_professor_tenure.html
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
What makes you think KS will make corrective changes in 10 yrs?  the last 10 yrs?  No way.  Sure brownback is massively unpopular, but he was re-elected one yr ago and though ppl may be hating on him, the sentiments that put him in office twice now are still very much so alive and well.

I won't believe anything will change until I see more moderates elected for a term or two.

Especially if Hillary wins. Very hard for moderates to win in Kansas when there is a liberal president. IMO

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
We literally PI'd Kirk out of K-State. Feels good, guys!

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
We literally PI'd Kirk out of K-State. Feels good, guys!

Well Sam Brownback did..but  :cheers:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
If possible, lets try to keep this out of the pit.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2016, 01:11:34 PM »
There is zero way funding levels for BOR schools get back to 1990's levels.  They will rise, but we are living in a new normal at a much lower baseline.

Also, until the BOR kicks out Emporia State, Pitt State, Ft Hays State and Washburn funding levels will never look like they should for a state of our size and population.  We will always be looking for out of state, international and private fundraising to make up for the huge short fall.

Those second tier schools will always remain part of the BOR because they are regionally important and welcome to politics, but the system's problems are being brought in to sharper and sharper relief because of the budget crunch.  If it was Kansas, Kansas State and Wichita State to support it would be bad enough, but we are talking about a bloated system running on fumes in a small state.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
There is zero way funding levels for BOR schools get back to 1990's levels.

Also, until the BOR kicks out Emporia State, Pitt State, Ft Hays State and Washburn funding levels will never look like they should for a state of our size and population.  We will always be looking for out of state, international and private fundraising to make up for the huge short fall.

Those second tier schools will always remain part of the BOR because they are regionally important and welcome to politics, but the system's problems are being brought in to sharper and sharper relief because of the budget crunch.  If it was Kansas, Kansas State and Wichita State to support it would be bad enough, but we are talking about a bloated system running on fumes in a small state.

...that is losing jobs, losing residents, and failing month after month to cover existing expenses.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »

wrong
http://police.wsu.edu/firearmswac.html

if you think that schulz left k-state b/c of open carry on campus, then good for you but you're 100% wrong