Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 71094 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #600 on: December 21, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
california adventure is def more better  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
lol disneyland/california adventure is a two day visit MAX.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
I also did not get the videos. I did see Kurt Russell on Fate of the Furious on a flight though.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 21, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
maybe that's why i don't understand the disney world hype cause i just assume it's the same as disneyland at that place is  :jerk:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »

Yeah, we did 2 and 2. It would have been ok had it not been for the lines. The first two days were ok, but I think CA school got out or something the next 2 and I hated about every minute of it. The lines for Cars and Guardians of the Galaxy were at least 2 hours. I just can't understand why people would wait that long for anything. We were there one night and people in line for G of G would essentially have been waiting the whole time they were there and only get to be on that one ride???

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 22, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »
maybe that's why i don't understand the disney world hype cause i just assume it's the same as disneyland at that place is  :jerk:

I remember it begin great when I was a kid (mostly Epcot was great). But then my sister took her kids there a few years ago and said for all the trouble of getting there and everything she would have rather just gone to World's of Fun.  :dunno:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 22, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »

Yeah, we did 2 and 2. It would have been ok had it not been for the lines. The first two days were ok, but I think CA school got out or something the next 2 and I hated about every minute of it. The lines for Cars and Guardians of the Galaxy were at least 2 hours. I just can't understand why people would wait that long for anything. We were there one night and people in line for G of G would essentially have been waiting the whole time they were there and only get to be on that one ride???
Do the fast pass thing next time, goodness

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 22, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »

Do the fast pass thing next time, goodness

Yeah fast pass all the way.  If you have a trip centered around a theme park then fast pass is a must have.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Disney World
« Reply #608 on: December 22, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
A) Disneyland and cal adventure are like 1/4 the size of Disney World

B) we only go during times where it’s not busy. We just got back and walked onto almost every ride

C) you could still have a great time if you planned and got fast passes strategically

D) my messages to you failed rus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »

D) my messages to you failed rus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit

Also I pictured Disneyworld being even bigger than that. I may never go and am ok with that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 23, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
according to google disney world is 40 sq miles and disneyland is 85 acres. so yeah, it's a lot more than that. but a lot of disney world is wilderness and water.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 23, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »
also I think your 17 kids are past their prime disney world appreciation years anyway so unless one of them nerds out at something disney I don't think you're missing a ton. until star wars land opens anyway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »
So, I just spent a week at Disney without my family, for work. I stayed at and had a conference at Coronado Springs. The weather was elite and Coronado was fine, I had some colleagues at All-Star Sports  :ROFL: that looked like a cartoon sports monster puked on a Motel 6. I didn't go anywhere else but Downtown Disney, I ate all of my non-conference meals there.

So, I left this trip happy about being there but less thrilled about taking my kids there. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how people don't return from a Disney vacation with their family, completely drained. Everything seems like a rat race, even getting on the shuttle busses is rough ridin' crazy. I'm a beach vacation guy and Disney is like the polar opposite of that.

I must say, the prices are insane, and I say that as someone who returned from London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Krakow less than a month ago. When I have to leave my resort to go the springs for lunch to get a better bargain by paying $35 for a burger, fries, and a milkshake, goodness. The food downtown was very good, it was tragic at the resort, worst I've ever seen anywhere, $6 for a prepackaged cookie :lol: I'd imagine better resorts have better food options and the parks are between the two. I did a lot of judging of all the people at the conference who paid $20 for the unlimited soda refill cups, Americans are gross.

The customer service and the overall experience is second to none. I loved meeting cast members from all around the world and you can tell that Disney treats their people well because everyone was so happy. I met one shitty employee and it was a dude working the front desk that had more sassy attitude than I could take.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 27, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
Good review. All-Star resorts are exactly the disney motel 6. Nobody on here should ever stay there. Coronado is the "mid tier" or whatever they call them. It's mainly for conferences. I definitely agree with the exhausted/rat race part. If you don't know what you're doing and stay somewhere you have to get on a bus to get anywhere it would be a nightmare with kids.

Disney is extremely expensive. There are ways to save a bit:

Gardengrocer.com or AmazonFresh. Order a bunch of food ahead of time and have it delivered to your room. We stay at the Boardwalk or Beach Club Villas and have a full kitchen. We order tons of booze, breakfast foods, snacks, coffee, and most importantly bottled water (actually second most important to the booze). We bring our own hooch to the pool and to walk around the resort. You can't take it into the front of the parks but other than that it's fair game like Vegas. Because Disneyworld is one giant land mass they have 1 single alcohol license. Pack bottles of water and snacks to bring into the parks. We bring a backpack and have all that stuff as well as like sunscreen and kids clothes and whatever we may need. Disney lets you bring in all the food and water you want.

We get a discount for being annual passholders and also have a "Tables In Wonderland" card that you can buy as annual passholders. The card costs $150 and is good for your entire travelling party at essentially all restaurants. With it you get 20% off all food and drinks (including booze). When you've got a couple kids and maybe grandparents or a babysitter along for the ride you get back that $150 pretty fast. Obviously everything is still super expensive but it helps.

I've said this before but I would never got to Disney during a busy time. Think summer, spring break season, holidays, etc. I can't imagine dealing with the mass of people. We always go in May (not around memorial day), Sep/Oct (around labor day is actually not busy), early Dec. These are your best bets for good weather and low crowds. We've gone so much we don't really rush to do many rides unless lil sd has gotten finally tall enough for new ones. We do our three or four daily fast passes and never wait in a line longer than 10 minutes for entire trips. We do a lot of scavenger hunt type stuff Disney puts on, watch their nightly outdoor movies, go to a lot of shows and concerts, ride stupid expensive ass surrey bikes around, go to the water parks, etc.

The employees, extreme attention to detail, immersiveness (not maybe a real word), cleanliness of the property, etc. are the best. That is a lot of what keeps us coming back. If you want to just save cash then silver dollar city or six flags are where you should go.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
also we are going in early May and staying in a 2 bedroom villa at the beach club so everyone start brainstorming your questions for the AMA.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
Comparing All Star Sports to Motel 6 is really an insult to Motel 6.

I'll be going to Disney World the first week of May but staying at Marriott's Cypress Garden.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 27, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
when you say first week do you mean the 5-12 or the first week that's part in april and part in may? we'll be there the 5-12.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #617 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »
Good tips, SD. I'll be packing lunches and water into the parks. Then take the kids to Disney Springs or I Drive for dinner. Heading down there Oct 15-19.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 27, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
when you say first week do you mean the 5-12 or the first week that's part in april and part in may? we'll be there the 5-12.

I will be there the 3rd - 6th.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »

I will be there the 3rd - 6th.

I'll wear a rose lapel pin so if you see it we can slap hands

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 27, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
Steve Dave where tf are my pictures of toy story land and Edge of the Galaxy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »

it's like a giant wall so no photos unfortunately. BUT, at the end of the star tours ride you now land on the new planet that is supposed to be the star wars land planet. so that was kinda cool.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 27, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »

it's like a giant wall so no photos unfortunately. BUT, at the end of the star tours ride you now land on the new planet that is supposed to be the star wars land planet. so that was kinda cool.
Mind blown

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 27, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »

I remember it begin great when I was a kid (mostly Epcot was great). But then my sister took her kids there a few years ago and said for all the trouble of getting there and everything she would have rather just gone to World's of Fun.  :dunno:

thats exactly what my brother said after he went...

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 27, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
according to google disney world is 40 sq miles and disneyland is 85 acres. so yeah, it's a lot more than that. but a lot of disney world is wilderness and water.

thats less than half the size of the KC Zoo (202 acres)