Author Topic: Pizza Thread  (Read 289245 times)

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
link- http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Grilling-Pizza/Detail.aspx

The instructions in the article are pretty much how original Pizza Hut pizza was made
they grilled pizzas @ pizza hut?

The pizza recipe, not the grilling part, but the old style Blogett ovens have an open flame under a stone floor.  Sorta like grilling

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
wow, pizza ovens are expensive.

don't buy dough, 'tards.  dough is hella easy to make.  it'd be easier for you to make dough, take it to a pizza place and ask them to bake it for you, than the reverse.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Just grilled some pizza
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »
the egg is the most awesome thing in the entire world imo.  but i really wanted to learn how to smoke stuff, that's why i got it.  if you're not interested in getting into that then i would just stick with what you have.  you can use the egg to smoke or grill, with temps from 150 to 1000.  i've grilled pizza, steak, and lamb on it.  i've smoked pork shoulder (pulled pork), brisket, chicken, fish- salmon and halibut, jalapeno poppers, back ribs, spare ribs...ohhh I smoked my thanksgiving turkey on it, and i've smoked a few beef tenderloins, and some racks of lamb.  i'm sure i'm forgetting something but those are all in my regular rotation.  i got mine last winter and smoked all last spring/summer/fall, just about every weekend.  this season I've had it up smoking 4 times or so.

like i said, i wouldn't buy it just to use for grilling, it's real strength is it's use as a smoker.  to me, a grill is a grill is a grill.

Kinda what I figured.  If you know how to use a grill, there is little difference short of wood/charcoal/propane.  The temp control seems fantastic as does smoking possibilities.  Really don't see how I dont pick one up this Summer.  It'll be the summer of fantastic ribs at my casa.

Expect me to follow up in a CCBT in the future for tips/recipes/accessory reviews for the Egg...

invites?  I'll bring snacks and booze and such!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

don't buy dough, 'tards.  dough is hella easy to make.  it'd be easier for you to make dough, take it to a pizza place and ask them to bake it for you, than the reverse.
they're scared you dumbass.  and it's really not all that easy unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the egg is the most awesome thing in the entire world imo.  but i really wanted to learn how to smoke stuff, that's why i got it.  if you're not interested in getting into that then i would just stick with what you have.  you can use the egg to smoke or grill, with temps from 150 to 1000.  i've grilled pizza, steak, and lamb on it.  i've smoked pork shoulder (pulled pork), brisket, chicken, fish- salmon and halibut, jalapeno poppers, back ribs, spare ribs...ohhh I smoked my thanksgiving turkey on it, and i've smoked a few beef tenderloins, and some racks of lamb.  i'm sure i'm forgetting something but those are all in my regular rotation.  i got mine last winter and smoked all last spring/summer/fall, just about every weekend.  this season I've had it up smoking 4 times or so.

like i said, i wouldn't buy it just to use for grilling, it's real strength is it's use as a smoker.  to me, a grill is a grill is a grill.

Kinda what I figured.  If you know how to use a grill, there is little difference short of wood/charcoal/propane.  The temp control seems fantastic as does smoking possibilities.  Really don't see how I dont pick one up this Summer.  It'll be the summer of fantastic ribs at my casa.

Expect me to follow up in a CCBT in the future for tips/recipes/accessory reviews for the Egg...

invites?  I'll bring snacks and booze and such!
Once I figure out how to use the thing extremely well and we come up with a reason (possibly completely made up), I could do a BGE pak.  Kinda nervous though, feel like I would be competing with 'clams podcast/smoked meat pak and that may be out of my league.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

they're scared you dumbass.  and it's really not all that easy unless you know exactly what you're doing.

It's pretty easy with the just add water dough. Tastes decent enough. I threw on some asiago and crushed pepper. Came out pretty good.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's pretty easy with the just add water dough. Tastes decent enough. I threw on some asiago and crushed pepper. Came out pretty good.
ya but that dough sucks in the grand scheme, that's why i suggested just buying some from a pro until you can learn how to make good dough.  there really is a difference when you get into it.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

ya but that dough sucks in the grand scheme, that's why i suggested just buying some from a pro until you can learn how to make good dough.  there really is a difference when you get into it.

Yeah. Can you buy a lot of dough and freeze it in small servings? Seems like the best option.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Just grilled some pizza
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »
what does a good pizza oven cost?

Like restaurant capable?  Like 40k.  No joke.  But, it will run 12 hours a day for 15-20 years.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yeah. Can you buy a lot of dough and freeze it in small servings? Seems like the best option.
you could if you wanted to, not sure the incentive though.  seems like it would just be easier to go buy a couple of medium sized pizza balls for $5 and use what you need and throw the rest away.   when i make pizza at home i my pies usually are about 8 inches around and i make about 4-5 of them but never eat it all.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you could if you wanted to, not sure the incentive though.  seems like it would just be easier to go buy a couple of medium sized pizza balls for $5 and use what you need and throw the rest away.   when i make pizza at home i my pies usually are about 8 inches around and i make about 4-5 of them but never eat it all.

The incentive would be you don't need to go get dough everytime you want a pizza.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The incentive would be you don't need to go get dough everytime you want a pizza.

here's an idea... get the dough or make it yourself, make pizza shapes out of all of it and then freeze the pizza crusts that you don't want to use that very instant. then when you want to make a pizza two weeks later, you have instant crust ready to go. your welcome. :blah:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:37:44 AM by Rick Daris »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Yeah, pizza dough is ridic. easy to make.  It takes like 2 minutes to mix, then you wait for it to rise.  JFC.  Idiots.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yeah, pizza dough is ridic. easy to make.  It takes like 2 minutes to mix, then you wait for it to rise.  JFC.  Idiots.
LOL @ the chef-boy-r-dee pizza rubes.  sometimes its just better to shut the eff up unless you know what you are talking about.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

LOL @ the chef-boy-r-dee pizza rubes.  sometimes its just better to shut the shazbot! up unless you know what you are talking about.

OK, I'll make sure to say hi the next time I see you begging for dough at the Westport imos.

Christ.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

LOL @ the chef-boy-r-dee pizza rubes.  sometimes its just better to shut the shazbot! up unless you know what you are talking about.

OK, I'll make sure to say hi the next time I see you begging for dough at the Westport imos.

Christ.

I've bought dough from Spin(both KCMO and JoCO locations) numerous times.  Shitty pizza dough is the worst, but if I'm talking to guys who like dough like pizza hut's current crap then my advice is falling on deaf ears. 

also, like mentioned above commercial pizza ovens are extremely expensive.  here are some models for your backyard http://www.woodstonehome.com/ 

you could also build your own.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
how much can you smoke on a bge at once?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
how much can you smoke on a bge at once?

pike?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I guess it would depend on what size you buy.  Genius_Cireass

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I guess it would depend on what size you buy.  Genius_Cireass

on the big one.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
more than 2 butts/slabs?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
more than 2 butts/slabs?

I have a medium egg and I've gotten 3 slabs before. Clams could do more since his egg is a bit larger. I've only ever tried 1 butt before but i think i could get two

Offline blackknight

• Fan
  • Hi I'm Earth, have we met?
    • View Profile
How about you mix flour, salt, yeast and water yourselves?? extremely easy you lazy bastards