Author Topic: Pizza Thread  (Read 289356 times)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pizza Thread
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »
 :lick:

Pretty tasty.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:23:46 PM by steve dave »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Just grilled some pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
What'd you start with?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
grilled pizza is great when done correctly.  i bought a special attachment thing for my Big Green Egg that allows me to grill pizza at temps ~800 degrees.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
grilled pizza is great when done correctly.  i bought a special attachment thing for my Big Green Egg that allows me to grill pizza at temps ~800 degrees.

What all have you done on your Egg and how fantastic is it?  Thinking about putting my tax return dollars to use for one.  I hate doing away with my propane grill that is still in pretty good shape, but if the egg is that much better, I may have to.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
the egg is the most awesome thing in the entire world imo.  but i really wanted to learn how to smoke stuff, that's why i got it.  if you're not interested in getting into that then i would just stick with what you have.  you can use the egg to smoke or grill, with temps from 150 to 1000.  i've grilled pizza, steak, and lamb on it.  i've smoked pork shoulder (pulled pork), brisket, chicken, fish- salmon and halibut, jalapeno poppers, back ribs, spare ribs...ohhh I smoked my thanksgiving turkey on it, and i've smoked a few beef tenderloins, and some racks of lamb.  i'm sure i'm forgetting something but those are all in my regular rotation.  i got mine last winter and smoked all last spring/summer/fall, just about every weekend.  this season I've had it up smoking 4 times or so.

like i said, i wouldn't buy it just to use for grilling, it's real strength is it's use as a smoker.  to me, a grill is a grill is a grill.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
the egg is the most awesome thing in the entire world imo.  but i really wanted to learn how to smoke stuff, that's why i got it.  if you're not interested in getting into that then i would just stick with what you have.  you can use the egg to smoke or grill, with temps from 150 to 1000.  i've grilled pizza, steak, and lamb on it.  i've smoked pork shoulder (pulled pork), brisket, chicken, fish- salmon and halibut, jalapeno poppers, back ribs, spare ribs...ohhh I smoked my thanksgiving turkey on it, and i've smoked a few beef tenderloins, and some racks of lamb.  i'm sure i'm forgetting something but those are all in my regular rotation.  i got mine last winter and smoked all last spring/summer/fall, just about every weekend.  this season I've had it up smoking 4 times or so.

like i said, i wouldn't buy it just to use for grilling, it's real strength is it's use as a smoker.  to me, a grill is a grill is a grill.

Kinda what I figured.  If you know how to use a grill, there is little difference short of wood/charcoal/propane.  The temp control seems fantastic as does smoking possibilities.  Really don't see how I dont pick one up this Summer.  It'll be the summer of fantastic ribs at my casa.

Expect me to follow up in a CCBT in the future for tips/recipes/accessory reviews for the Egg...

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
I have a Big Green Egg as well. Does amazing things. I've smoked pork butt, turkeys, ribs, brisket. Grilled steaks and mushrooms. Like 'clams said, if you're not into smoking meat just stay with a regular grill

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
sounds good, i know pike has one too.  they're super easy to smoke with b/c they're so efficient and hold their temperature so well.  they're pretty expensive, you'll end up needing a large and a stand which together will run around $1k.  i was going to start a thread the last time i smoked over night and document with pictures but got too drunk and forgot to document the whole thing.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
ya pike has one too.  did i mention that? 

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
I have a medium egg, cost about 700 and the stand was another 100. I dropped like 2.5 paychecks on this thing and was broke for a whole semester, totally worth it

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »
I have a medium egg, cost about 700 and the stand was another 100. I dropped like 2.5 paychecks on this thing and was broke for a whole semester, totally worth it

Damn, thought I saw somewhere a large egg was 650 and I figured another 100 for the stand.  Meh, still think I'll have to go for it.  Smoking is too wonderful to pass up

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »
there are things similar to the bge that aren't quite as expensive and are just as good, although the bge freaks will prob try to tell you they aren't.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »
:lick:

Pretty tasty.

Omg, me too. I cheated though and used a pre made flatbread. Kind of a last minute idea. One was pesto, onions, and chicken. The other all natural marinara, onions, cheese, and chicken.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
there are things similar to the bge that aren't quite as expensive and are just as good, although the bge freaks will prob try to tell you they aren't.
the fake ones sucks.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
the fake ones sucks.

saw a Big Steel Keg awhile back... still expensive

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
the fake ones sucks.

:lol: clockwork

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
I used to have a great li'l red smoker with a chimney.  I miss that guy....:frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
what does a good pizza oven cost?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
The Big Green Egg is fantastic.

However, if you want to spend $300 and still have a world class smoker, I recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain.

It's been used to win first place sausage at the American Royal BBQ ("world championship"), and chicken for the for First Place team at the Great Lenexa BBQ ("State Champs").  I will do anything you ever want to do....very, very easily with excellent temperature control and quality.

For the untrained BBQ smoker, a good way to learn and still produce world class BBQ is to get the Weber.  You'll have it for years.

Once you get good at this stuff, and you know you are going to stick with it for the rest of your life....then get the Egg.  It won't last you your entire life, but you should have that level of interest before you buy an Egg over a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »
I converted my uncle to the "ceramic cooker" side, but instead of getting a BGE he got something cheaper. I can out smoke the eff out of him

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Made a pizza just this weekend on my Traegar.  Love my Traegar, my only complaint is it doesn't get really hot, but you can cook anything on it and it tastes great.  If anyone wants to pm me their "top secret" smoking secrets/rubs/tricks, would love to get better at smoking.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
what does a good pizza oven cost?

Cuisinart Brick Oven for $150 makes a great pizza, frozen or hand-made. It comes with a pizza stone and is lined with ceramic stone. I use it all the time for everything rather than heating up the big oven. :bartender:

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Just grilled a 'za on an open olivewood fire. Tastes like sanctuary. But I guess that's just part of being in Colorado/Greece.
Fly, Eddie. Fly.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
'clams and pike's smokin' meat thread
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »
As many of you know, 'clams and I have a Big Green Egg smoker/grill. It kicks ass. We could probably out cook all of you blindfolded and blacked out drunk at the same time. Here's a picture:

Thing is ridiculous. Here's what I hope to get after I graduate, cause they're rough ridin' sexy:

Yep, that's a Traeger, Wyatt Thompson's personal favorite.

Anyway, hope to hear about everyone's "Weber" stories and "Grill Mate" or whatever. We'll sit back and enjoy our slow cooked awesomness.