Author Topic: the rough ridin' moon  (Read 19644 times)

The Big Train

Re: the rough ridin' moon
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »
Wow

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »
Yup. It kind of ruined a really good flyover of the ISS tho    :nerd:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
So, most of the regulars have met me.  Most of the regulars know that I enjoy science and stuff.  I may actually be in the IT industry,  :surprised:, but we may never know.

I was out star gazing tonight, and let me tell you guys, it was awesome.  If anything tonight was a great night to be out under the heavens.  I saw so many things, and you guys know what I realized?  We are pretty small and insignificant, I am talking microns compared to Mount Everest.  Obviously that comparo isn's even close to the real scale, as the one I mentioned is tiny and something our minds can understand.

I challenge you guys to think 'outside' the box, and challenge what is given, and figure out the unknown.

I've gotten pretty into night sky time-lapse photography over the last few months.  Mostly of the Milky Way but also of the moon and stuff.  The best part is driving out to some pitch black place and sitting in a lawn chair looking up at the stars for a couple of hours while the camera does its thing.  I will agree that it's a good place to do some deep thinking.

How do you learn to do this?  We just bought a nice Canon DSLR and I want to learn how to do this. 

Sorry Emo, I didn't see this back then.  Have you figured it out yet? Most DSLRs have an built-in intervalometer that will take pics at any given interval.  For night sky photography or timelapses you'll set a long exposure (between 15 and 30 seconds depending on the conditions).  I usually try to let it take at least 96 pictures which would be a 4 second timelapse at 24 FPS. Twice that is ideal but I don't always have that much time.  Long exposure timelapses take the most time because you can only take a couple pictures every minute.  It's pretty amazing what you can see with a 30 second exposure on a moonless night.  Maybe the most important thing is that you have software that can color correct and create a video from your hi-res photos.  I use Adobe Lightroom for color correction and After Effects to create the video.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2016, 09:33:29 PM »
33 can i watch one of your videos? Tia

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »
Sure.  I'll upload one to v33p sometime.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
So, most of the regulars have met me.  Most of the regulars know that I enjoy science and stuff.  I may actually be in the IT industry,  :surprised:, but we may never know.

I was out star gazing tonight, and let me tell you guys, it was awesome.  If anything tonight was a great night to be out under the heavens.  I saw so many things, and you guys know what I realized?  We are pretty small and insignificant, I am talking microns compared to Mount Everest.  Obviously that comparo isn's even close to the real scale, as the one I mentioned is tiny and something our minds can understand.

I challenge you guys to think 'outside' the box, and challenge what is given, and figure out the unknown.

I've gotten pretty into night sky time-lapse photography over the last few months.  Mostly of the Milky Way but also of the moon and stuff.  The best part is driving out to some pitch black place and sitting in a lawn chair looking up at the stars for a couple of hours while the camera does its thing.  I will agree that it's a good place to do some deep thinking.

How do you learn to do this?  We just bought a nice Canon DSLR and I want to learn how to do this. 

Sorry Emo, I didn't see this back then.  Have you figured it out yet? Most DSLRs have an built-in intervalometer that will take pics at any given interval.  For night sky photography or timelapses you'll set a long exposure (between 15 and 30 seconds depending on the conditions).  I usually try to let it take at least 96 pictures which would be a 4 second timelapse at 24 FPS. Twice that is ideal but I don't always have that much time.  Long exposure timelapses take the most time because you can only take a couple pictures every minute.  It's pretty amazing what you can see with a 30 second exposure on a moonless night.  Maybe the most important thing is that you have software that can color correct and create a video from your hi-res photos.  I use Adobe Lightroom for color correction and After Effects to create the video.

Here were my first attempts sometime last fall.

I'm using a Canon T6s with the 18-135 lens.  Anyway these are just single pictures but that's more what I need to get better at first.  I think these exposures were in that 20 to 30 second range.  I'm pretty sure I just set it to manual and I can manipulate the exposure and the ISO.  I don't really understand the difference between aperture priority and manual.

Unfortunately my rough ridin' camera doesn't have a time-lapse feature but my dad bought me this Vello Shutterboss thing and I can do it through there.

So you basically just take a few pics adjusting the exposure length and ISO until you get what you like and then just take a bunch of pictures in a row (96 or more)? 

How do you prefer the moon phase to be?

How far do you try to get away from town?  I'm not sure where you live.  Should I make sure even small towns are not in the frame? 

I also would love to see some videos you have done.  I'm considering filming and submitting some short videos for some contests in a year or two and want to spend some time getting like filler stuff this fall/winter that I can use.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »
I'm using a Canon T6s with the 18-135 lens.  Anyway these are just single pictures but that's more what I need to get better at first.  I think these exposures were in that 20 to 30 second range.  I'm pretty sure I just set it to manual and I can manipulate the exposure and the ISO.  I don't really understand the difference between aperture priority and manual.

Unfortunately my rough ridin' camera doesn't have a time-lapse feature but my dad bought me this Vello Shutterboss thing and I can do it through there.

So you basically just take a few pics adjusting the exposure length and ISO until you get what you like and then just take a bunch of pictures in a row (96 or more)? 

Nice photos.  My first attempts were much much worse.
Yeah get the ISO up to around 3200 or so, if its grainy drop it a little.  Once you like how it looks set your interval, I set the interval really short for long exposures because its already taking 20-30 sec per photo so you don't want another 10 seconds in between.  I usually set it for 2 seconds.  Also I turn off preview so that it doesn't take time to process in between shots.

How do you prefer the moon phase to be?

If you want to shoot the milky way there needs to be no moon.  So either a new moon or before it rises or after it sets.  Shooting the moon is kind of cool too though because with a long exposure it almost looks like the sun in the night sky.

How far do you try to get away from town?  I'm not sure where you live.  Should I make sure even small towns are not in the frame? 

I use this:  http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

I try to get to at least green, if not blue or gray.  Also if you're shooting the milky way it will be to the south as it crosses the sky so its not that big of a deal if  you have a town to your north you just want to make sure it's pretty dark to the south.

I also would love to see some videos you have done.  I'm considering filming and submitting some short videos for some contests in a year or two and want to spend some time getting like filler stuff this fall/winter that I can use.

I'll try to post a couple.  TBH most of mine are not very good. I'm finding it takes a lot of practice and the right conditions.  Not to mention a lot of skill to color correct and that sort of thing.  I'm going to try to get out a couple times this fall as well.

The Big Train

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
It's kinda behind some semi-transparent clouds, but, WOW!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
Nice shot of Venus.  I think Mars is just above the top of the picture.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Ain't no moon!

The Big Train

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
So you guys excited about the total solar eclipse?  I rough ridin' am :excited:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
When?

The Big Train

« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
August 21st. I'll be in another state for 100% coverage. :D

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
I hope I am too :)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
P great moon tonight everyone. How is everyone doing?

The Big Train

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
P great moon tonight everyone. How is everyone doing?

I'm on the edge of my seat with the Royals game, bud. I will step outside once it's over and look tho. Love this stuff

The Big Train

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
Holy crap

The Big Train

« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
Awesome

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »
WHOA

The Big Train

« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
WHOA

Holy crap you need sunglasses to look directly at it!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
Noticed that sob on my drive home, really great moon night
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
Two blue moons within the first 3 months of the year.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »
Two blue moons within the first 3 months of the year.

It is pretty cool, also February didn't have a full moon (which is why we have a blue moon in March). Pretty easy to get those when the full moon was Jan 1.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
I've already seen this moon tons. Wake me up when it's a different or better moon.