Author Topic: Software thread(computer related)  (Read 64056 times)

The Big Train

Re: Software thread(computer related)
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »

They are basically just consolidating the 3 degrees they had into just CS.  Long story short they have had IS since the late 90's and it hadn't changed with the times much.  They are gonna focus more on CS degrees with an emphasis in a area, with tracts from like Junior year on.
Ah, this makes more sense. My junior year they changed the format of the IS degree to change with times, as you said, but I guess they decided to not continue. So, with the new CS degrees, they will be able to choose like a Business tract if they want?

Yeah they wanted to have a more defined degree and skill set for new graduates.  Last I heard they wanted to have like 8-12 different tracts ranging from cyber-security to business to sys admin to software engineering etc.

This spring was the last semester they were accepting new IS students and fall would enforce the change.  If you are currently in IS or joined this spring nothing would change, and they will spend next 4 years getting you through.

The Big Train

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2016, 12:04:27 AM »
Tbt, this is your thread,  and i have to tell you, it sort of sucks

The Big Train

« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »
well when nobody else is willing or can speak the lingo, thats what happens  :frown:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
I think companies using npm is an interesting issue, but I'm guessing no one else does for the same reasons I do.

The Big Train

« Reply #405 on: April 15, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
I thought about getting the top of the line one but after this review I'll just wait for the new MacBook Pro

https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/721031293014777857

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 17, 2016, 07:42:42 AM »
An IPv4 address walks in to a bar and tells the bartender "I need a Cidr, I'm exhausted!"
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2016, 12:55:35 AM »
I thought about getting the top of the line one but after this review I'll just wait for the new MacBook Pro

I've ordered the business version (Dell 5510).  I should get it in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty stoked.

The Big Train

« Reply #408 on: April 18, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »

I've ordered the business version (Dell 5510).  I should get it in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty stoked.

Should be a good laptop.  If I'm gonna spend close to 3k on a laptop I want it to have everything I want, and the new MacBook Pro's coming out this summer are going to have it.

What configuration(RAM, SSD size etc) of the XPS did you get?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
15.6" screen
2.7GHz i7 Skylake
32 GB RAM
512 GB PCIe SSD
1920x1080 screen
Nvidia® Quadro M1000M w/2GB GDDR5

I was a little disappointed with the resolution, but I didn't really want to go up a level for touch screen.  I'm not a fan of that for some reason.

The Big Train

« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »
:drool:

Sounds like a monster, better get a spare battery if you plan to be away from a charger for awhile.  The fact you have to have a touchscreen to get the best display is so stupid.  There's like 2 things in all of Windows 10 you would use it for.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »

Sounds like a monster, better get a spare battery if you plan to be away from a charger for awhile.  The fact you have to have a touchscreen to get the best display is so stupid.  There's like 2 things in all of Windows 10 you would use it for.

With a screen that size, the difference between 1080p and 4k is so minimal that it doesn't matter.  But still.

The Big Train

« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »

With a screen that size, the difference between 1080p and 4k is so minimal that it doesn't matter.  But still.

Yeah, but for people that do 4K video editing it kinda sucks.  Also 32GB on a laptop is just unreal, but I want it.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »

Yeah, but for people that do 4K video editing it kinda sucks.  Also 32GB on a laptop is just unreal, but I want it.

Yeah, but those people are probably using Macs, so it's probably not a huge deal.

I was sick of booting up my laptop, getting coffee, coming back and still watching it boot up.  So, yeah, I overdid it.

The Big Train

« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
Well if you want to do some 3D modeling with CAD and Revit, while building 2 iPhone apps running on different instances of Visual Studio, while also editing 4K video, you should be good. :D

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Touch screen on a laptop is actually very nice to have. I use it way more than I thought I would
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »
Any server experts out there?

I got a error message on my server's front display showing "E1810 - Hard Drive 0 Fault - Review and Clear SEL" along with "E1211- RAID Controller Battery Failure".  Haven't noticed any day-to-day changes with the system.  How urgent is this matter and what's fixing the problem look like?  I've already backed up everything externally.

The Big Train

« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2016, 12:06:15 PM »

I got a error message on my server's front display showing "E1810 - Hard Drive 0 Fault - Review and Clear SEL" along with "E1211- RAID Controller Battery Failure".  Haven't noticed any day-to-day changes with the system.  How urgent is this matter and what's fixing the problem look like?  I've already backed up everything externally.

Do you have raid 1 or raid 5 configuration?

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »

Where do I find this information?

The Big Train

« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »

It's usually in the bios or if you bought it pre-configured it will have it on the invoice.  Raid 1 is mirroring, so you have identical copies on 2 separate drives.  The error means one of those drives is failing or has failed. The reason you don't have any change is because you still have a full copy on the drive that didn't fail.

Raid 5 is a parity bit, but you have to have 3 drives for this setting.  Having that external backup makes replacing that failed drive less urgent.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:45 PM »

It's usually in the bios or if you bought it pre-configured it will have it on the invoice.  Raid 1 is mirroring, so you have identical copies on 2 separate drives.  The error means one of those drives is failing or has failed. The reason you don't have any change is because you still have a full copy on the drive that didn't fail.

Raid 5 is a parity bit, but you have to have 3 drives for this setting.  Having that external backup makes replacing that failed drive less urgent.

Yeah, it looks like there's just two drives (C:/D:) but it doesn't look like it's mirrored?? The D: drive looks to have full capacity with nothing on it?

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 19, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »

Yeah, it looks like there's just two drives (C:/D:) but it doesn't look like it's mirrored?? The D: drive looks to have full capacity with nothing on it?

That being said, I have no idea what mirroring looks like but assume it is the same data on each drive?  I know virtually nothing about servers btw.. so with data that is important backed up to flashdrive it's less urgent?

The Big Train

« Reply #422 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »

That being said, I have no idea what mirroring looks like but assume it is the same data on each drive?  I know virtually nothing about servers btw.. so with data that is important backed up to flashdrive it's less urgent?

When a drive is failing it's usually a mechanical issue with the drive, which means data can't be read.  So there may be a flaw when trying to read it, which makes it look empty/full.

Yeah, mirroring is 2 exact copies of each other, it's just redundancy for your data.

When a drive fails with raid 1 you still have your data, it just means if the good drive fails there isn't another backup.  While it's important to replace that failed drive, having an external copy(flash drive) gives you the redundancy of multiple copies.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »

When a drive is failing it's usually a mechanical issue with the drive, which means data can't be read.  So there may be a flaw when trying to read it, which makes it look empty/full.

Yeah, mirroring is 2 exact copies of each other, it's just redundancy for your data.

When a drive fails with raid 1 you still have your data, it just means if the good drive fails there isn't another backup.  While it's important to replace that failed drive, having an external copy(flash drive) gives you the redundancy of multiple copies.

Got you.  Thanks. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 19, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
Might look into replacing that  RAID controller battery too. Shouldn't be very expensive.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles