Author Topic: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho  (Read 109825 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Got about 9 days this summer to drive around/camp/drink Jim Beam and talk to bears. Never been to any of these three states. Have you?

(Do not merge with travel thread.)

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:34:56 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
Please watch the grizzly man on netflix prior to going. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
The only time I went to Wyoming was when we lived in Colorado and we'd go up there for fireworks, so grab those. Everything you need to know about Montana is in a "River runs through it" (OMG Brad Pitt  :love:) and I would do some kind of potato tour in Idaho. You're welcome!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
The only time I went to Wyoming was when we lived in Colorado and we'd go up there for fireworks, so grab those. Everything you need to know about Montana is in a "River runs through it" (OMG Brad Pitt  :love:) and I would do some kind of potato tour in Idaho. You're welcome!
Wacky, I have to say that nothing about your post except (OMG Brad Pitt  :love:) sounds elite vision questy.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Need info on where to camp and stuff. And, is Missoula awesome?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
thoughts on merging this with the travel thread?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
Camp wherever you want to! Yes, Missoula is awesome. At one time I had access to a cabin about 20 miles from Missoula that was surrounded on three sides by national parks. Very cool, and if I could, I'd let you stay there!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
NO TRAVEL THREAD MERGE!!! :curse:  When I'm staring down a fearsome bear in some national park and need to know how to keep him at bay, I can't be sifting through 47 pages of people talking about Pago Pago.  :chainsaw:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
I vacation in MT for about 2 weeks every year.

What do you like to do SB?  What are the dates?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
Oh step 1, you should read history books before your journey.  Stuff like Ambrose's Undaunted Courage or his book on Custer/Crazy Horse.  When I drive I like to look over to the river next to me and think "damn those crazy fuckers pulled those boats all the way up that thing."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
I vacation in MT for about 2 weeks every year.

What do you like to do SB?  What are the dates?

I'm down to do pretty much whatever. I am planning on camping but would be down for exploring cities and stuff too and I like to party with randos. Mainly I want to go to Bozeman and see where stud QB coach Jonathan Beasley cut his teeth with the MSU Bobqatz.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
*edit* I'm down to do pretty much whatever except read history books.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »
How about watching and betting on pig races while chowing down on delicious hamburgers?   :excited:

What are the dates?  I'm in Cody, WY for a week in middle July.  Fishing/paking trip.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
How about watching and betting on pig races while chowing down on delicious hamburgers?   :excited:

What are the dates?  I'm in Cody, WY for a week in middle July.  Fishing/paking trip.

Oh man that sounds incredible. Unfortunately I'll be there sometime in mid-June. Is Cody cool?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
It's okay I guess?  Like I'm not sure what you're looking for.  It's a town full of cowboys for sure.  Nice enough folks.  The pig racing just north of Cody in Belfry, MT.  If you're looking for like young people to party with I bet Bozeman & Missoula would be good (have been to both but partied in neither).  One time in Dillon MT a country concert just got out and the bars were overrun with young drunk college kids, think there's a small school in Dillon.  Most of my experience is either family vacation or fishing/hunting related. 

I bet you would love this:  http://www.braunbrothersreunion.com/  (August though)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Montana: whitefish is a nice little resort town (as of 2007) and pretty awesome and you can hike up the mountain and take a free ski left down! (at least you could a few years ago). Lots of cool little local restaurants and a good brewery as well. Lots of huckleberries to eat too! Glacier national park is pretty great, lots of camping, wildlife, cool lakes to look at, easy hiking, and great scenery. There's also some fun white water rafting in this area. Stay away from eastern Montana unless you like driving for hours and not seeing anything but sky and prairie.

Wyoming: Teton national park was cool, but all I did was look at the mountains so I can't give you a whole lot of advice there. Yellowstone is nice with lots of animals but you'll probably be fighting crowds. All parts of Wyoming that aren't in the NW corner are pretty desolate.

Idaho: I've only been to coeur d'alene and it was a nice resort town, but kind of ritzy. I don't know anything else about the rest of the state.
I'm purple down

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Oh skin ben, man, you are in luck.

I have been to Montana twice this spring. Go to Polson, at the south edge of Flat Head Lake (largest natural fresh water lake west of the Mississippi) and stay at the KwaTaqNuk Resort, right on the lake. It's probably the most beautiful thing on earth. Just look at this:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
Sky and prairie  :love: :love:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »
If you like horseback riding you should do it, but don't do like one of those pack train deals. Hire a guide (few hundred bucks a day) and he'll take you up in the mountains and it's way more fun.

Will you be by yourself?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Oh skin ben, man, you are in luck.

I have been to Montana twice this spring. Go to Polson, at the south edge of Flat Head Lake (largest natural fresh water lake west of the Mississippi) and stay at the KwaTaqNuk Resort, right on the lake. It's probably the most beautiful thing on earth. Just look at this:

If you go to flathead lake you're 30 minutes from whitefish, and it's totally worth the little extra drive
I'm purple down

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »
Camp wherever you want to! Yes, Missoula is awesome. At one time I had access to a cabin about 20 miles from Missoula that was surrounded on three sides by national parks. Very cool, and if I could, I'd let you stay there!

Yeah, Missoula is pretty incredible. I have couple buddies who went there for grad school and never came back.  Also, you should do a crap load of peyote before you attempt any conversations with bears. I hear it helps bridge the language barrier.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
bring an absolute shitload of mosquito spray

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Plan SB's Elite Vision Quest Through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Sky and prairie  :love: :love:

most people aren't big on sky and prairie driving, but having driven from the eastern border of Montana to the western border I found it very relaxing and it might be something that skin ben would enjoy on his vision quest :dunno:

Montana is a very underrated state IMO. When I was in whitefish all the locals were complaining about the Californians coming in and ruining their town, but now that I think about it, they were just getting gentrified (michcat please check my usage for correctness here)
I'm purple down

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.