Author Topic: Making Counter Offers  (Read 9547 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Re: Making Counter Offers
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
You could ask for a signing bonus.

Great.  Another option to consider.  crap. 

I'm not doing so well with this decision.  I think I'll just turn the whole thing down.

you're kind of dumb.  you just said that the offer is below the average salary for the position.  call them and say you accept their offer but were wondering if the salary can be negotiated as you have done some research and it's below the average market for a comparable position.  they will either say yes or no.  then it will be over.
emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
They EXPECT you to make a counter offer.  If you don't they'll think you're a pussy.  As for 10 or 12%, and they'll come back with 5 or 6%, and take that.  You need to cash in on this now, because from here on out most raises are going to be like "merit increases" and it'll be your standard 3 to 5 % a year, no matter how much you make now.  You need to make this one count. 

Also, don't ever EVER tell the truth about how much you currently make when you're interviewing outside.  Always inflate that number. They have no way of knowing anyway.  It'll give you more leverage when it comes to talking salary.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
The salary avg thing is tricky.  depending on what kind of job it is and how long ppl stay in that position, there could be quite a discrepancy from starting avg to overall avg.

Also, I fully agree with Emo

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »
I negotiated the crap out of my starter job. They gave me a gift card to CostCo for $50 AND everyone in my team signed a card that said welcome aboard and had a guy sailing on it.

Did you try asking for a CostCo gift card?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
I tried and was shot down.  That said, I was paid $2k-$4k more than the others in my class whose offers I knew about and was given $5k for moving expenses from a one bedroom in manhattan to Lenexa.  :lol:

so, I wasn't too concerned about it.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »
pro-tip: if you're taking a salary job or buying something that costs more than $500, you are expected to negotiate.  if you don't then they are laughing at you behind your back.
emaw

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
They EXPECT you to make a counter offer.  If you don't they'll think you're a pussy.  As for 10 or 12%, and they'll come back with 5 or 6%, and take that.  You need to cash in on this now, because from here on out most raises are going to be like "merit increases" and it'll be your standard 3 to 5 % a year, no matter how much you make now.  You need to make this one count. 

Also, don't ever EVER tell the truth about how much you currently make when you're interviewing outside.  Always inflate that number. They have no way of knowing anyway.  It'll give you more leverage when it comes to talking salary.

Did I screw up then? I said I made a little less than I actually do, because I really, really want this gig I am interviewing for next week.

I just thought I'd be a more attractive candidate if I was willing to work for a little less. (I always negotiate for 4 weeks vacation.)

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
You just know all of the avid pro negotiation people are sitting around every afternoon at their super losery jobs, nodding their heads to some conservative talk radio nonsense.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

Did I screw up then? I said I made a little less than I actually do, because I really, really want this gig I am interviewing for next week.

I just thought I'd be a more attractive candidate if I was willing to work for a little less. (I always negotiate for 4 weeks vacation.)

Unless you mow lawns for a living, you shouldn't act like you are willing to work for less. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you are the best candidate you will get the job as long as you're not asking for a ridiculous salary.

Good luck with the job hunt.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Thanks, KC-C. Good luck to you on the lady hunt.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

Hmmm, willesgirl and fanning are looking for a job at the same time.

WHODATHUNK!?!?!?

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
 :facepalm:

I've been at my current job for several years now. It's time to move on. I do not, nor have I ever, bone anyone I work with. That should clear up any misconceptions, right?

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
You could ask for a signing bonus.

Great.  Another option to consider.  crap. 

I'm not doing so well with this decision.  I think I'll just turn the whole thing down.

you're kind of dumb. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFh5FzXIeBg

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Making Counter Offers
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
:facepalm:

I've been at my current job for several years now. It's time to move on. I do not, nor have I ever, bone anyone I work with. That should clear up any misconceptions, right?
Edward Norton : Brad Pitt :: fanning : willesgirl
:adios:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
I just accepted another position within my company last week.  I was offered a meager raise and I counter offered but was told the raise offered was firm.  This new job is better but the move is considered to be lateral and many of the people on my team have been with the company for 20 plus years.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
I just accepted another position within my company last week.  I was offered a meager raise and I counter offered but was told the raise offered was firm.  This new job is better but the move is considered to be lateral and many of the people on my team have been with the company for 20 plus years.

Have done that too.  Hate that crap.  It is what it is, though.  I sorta think if you want make bank (over all else) you have to switch companies every few years.  If you want to be happy then find the place in the company where you want to be and get there, money be damned.

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
I sorta think if you want make bank (over all else) you have to switch companies every few years. 

My sister works in advertising and this is what she does.  Picks up like 5-10k every time she moves to another agency.  She also takes like 2-3 weeks off in between jobs.  It's a pretty great strategy if you can pull it off.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
I sorta think if you want make bank (over all else) you have to switch companies every few years. 

My sister works in advertising and this is what she does.  Picks up like 5-10k every time she moves to another agency.  She also takes like 2-3 weeks off in between jobs.  It's a pretty great strategy if you can pull it off.

I have switched jobs twice in the past 3 years and lied about my previous salary to each new potential employer.  I am now making about double what I was at the start (though I was pretty underpaid at the start and cost of living is higher where I am).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »

I have switched jobs twice in the past 3 years and lied about my previous salary to each new potential employer.  I am now making about double what I was at the start (though I was pretty underpaid at the start and cost of living is higher where I am).
usually a pretty safe route.  your old company won't release your salary info b/c of privacy concerns.  but, clams had a friend who was a former hustler model who tried this when switching companies (not from hustler to another company, this was years ago), but her new company asked for proof of her old salary (pay stub) within 2 weeks of being hired.  she couldn't produce and got canned.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
Wow, seems like an odd request.  Either they are worth having at the salary you offered or not.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
ya she's the only person i know that got busted that way.  if someone did ask, i would reply with a "i was speaking in terms of total comp" and just layer in benefits like health insurance/401k, etc until i reached the number that i claimed i was making. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »

usually a pretty safe route.  your old company won't release your salary info b/c of privacy concerns.  but, clams had a friend who was a former hustler model who tried this when switching companies (not from hustler to another company, this was years ago), but her new company asked for proof of her old salary (pay stub) within 2 weeks of being hired.  she couldn't produce and got canned.

That's pretty mumped up.  either she was worth the salary they agreed to or she wasn't.  what she made at her old gig is irrelevant at that point. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »

That's pretty mumped up.  either she was worth the salary they agreed to or she wasn't.  what she made at her old gig is irrelevant at that point.

Yeah. Seems to me like the company that hired her realized they agreed to pay her to much after they hired her and were looking for a way to get rid of her.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

There are people you can pay to make these things for you.  It's not that much.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
welp, the good news is that one time when ol clams was at her house with his gf, she brought out the hustler she was in and there were pics of her with another girl in it.  so anyway.