Author Topic: The Whiskey Thread  (Read 91514 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
Since most emaws are :kstategrad: , I'm going to assume that most of you enjoy Maker's Mark from time to time...

The following will come as very disturbing news, and I suggest heading out to stock up before the watered down crap hits the shelves.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/11/maker_s_mark_watering_its_bourbon_down.html

Dang, that is my favorite, had some last night.  Although I don't know that changing from 45% to 42% will change it that much.  That is like the difference between the ice at the beginning of the drink slowly becoming liquid water at the end of the drink.
:adios:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »
Since most emaws are :kstategrad: , I'm going to assume that most of you enjoy Maker's Mark from time to time...

The following will come as very disturbing news, and I suggest heading out to stock up before the watered down crap hits the shelves.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/11/maker_s_mark_watering_its_bourbon_down.html

Dang, that is my favorite, had some last night.  Although I don't know that changing from 45% to 42% will change it that much.  That is like the difference between the ice at the beginning of the drink slowly becoming liquid water at the end of the drink.

For me it's mainly the principal.  Plus, starting at 45% to get to 42% due to ice melting is one thing... but the distillery knocking 6.7% off the alcohol content of great product to meet "global demand" is bullshit at it's highest order.

I will probably go snag 2-3 bottles to keep around and then move on to Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or perhaps another quality bourbon simply out of principle.   Whatever happened to good old fashioned supply side economics??   Wouldn't it seem smarter to just raise the price a bit to lower demand until they could up production? 

:shakesfist:
bears are fast...

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

For me it's mainly the principal.  Plus, starting at 45% to get to 42% due to ice melting is one thing... but the distillery knocking 6.7% off the alcohol content of great product to meet "global demand" is bullshit at it's highest order.

I will probably go snag 2-3 bottles to keep around and then move on to Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or perhaps another quality bourbon simply out of principle.   Whatever happened to good old fashioned supply side economics??   Wouldn't it seem smarter to just raise the price a bit to lower demand until they could up production? 

Yeah, the principle sucks.
:adios:

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
Bought the old man a bottle of Ri Whiskey for his birthday and made him pour me a glass this weekend.  If you enjoy a good rye, this is definitely one of the best I've had.  Very tasty with a great spicy finish
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
oh man!!  :drool: :drool:

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Oh hello Woodford.  You and I are going to be fully acquainted by the end of the night.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »
Oh hello Woodford.  You and I are going to be fully acquainted by the end of the night.

:thumbs:

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:11 AM »
I bought some Woodford reserve a few weeks ago and broke it out last night.  It has the bite that I like in a bourbon but the flavor was not great.  1792 has a better flavor imo and the towny liquor store stocks it so there's that.  Some poster (I think Cire?) said they liked Woodford reserve and I was just wondering what exactly they liked about it.

How do you drink it?  On the rocks?  With water? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »
i had my first ever glass of blue label this weekend.  it was delicious.

let me know when you're ready to step up to the big boy scotch.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
I bought some Woodford reserve a few weeks ago and broke it out last night.  It has the bite that I like in a bourbon but the flavor was not great.  1792 has a better flavor imo and the towny liquor store stocks it so there's that.  Some poster (I think Cire?) said they liked Woodford reserve and I was just wondering what exactly they liked about it.

Room temp in a glass, I wanted to get the full effect.  Will probs add some ice to it the next time.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline TheKatsofWar

• Fan
  • It's ok I'm a limo driver!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
Colorado has put out some great whiskey   :lick: :lick: :lick:

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »

FYI, Noticed Maker's Mark is on sale for 20 bucks at Walgreen's this week. Stock up.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

FYI, Noticed Maker's Mark is on sale for 20 bucks at Walgreen's this week. Stock up.

:dubious:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
Guy today told me about Templeton Rye...anyone have any thoughts about this?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »

Heard it's awesome.  Boulevard uses old TR barrels for Rye-on-Rye. Tallgrass is doing a TR barrel aged Velvet Rooster  :drool:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »

Heard it's awesome.  Boulevard uses old TR barrels for Rye-on-Rye. Tallgrass is doing a TR barrel aged Velvet Rooster  :drool:
That settles it!  I'm gonna binge on some TR this weekend!

:grin:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
I am thinking about getting done angels envy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »

Room temp in a glass, I wanted to get the full effect.  Will probs add some ice to it the next time.

have it on good authority from a bro in the liquor biz that a little water helps unlock the flavor of a good whiskey.  I like whiskey on the rocks myself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

have it on good authority from a bro in the liquor biz that a little water helps unlock the flavor of a good whiskey.  I like whiskey on the rocks myself.
fwiw, almost all whiskey is watered down after distallation otherwise it would be pushing closer to 120 proof aka cask strength

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »

:thumbs: On the rocks is best, but whiskey with a bit of water isn't bad at all. Can take either and be happy.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
yeah, can't do "neat" myself.  I do have a friend that drinks scotch neat and pretty much nothing else.

Offline Kuts Nicked

• Fire Asian Curry
  • Fan
  • Team Sam Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
I like my whiskey with a splash of cottage cheese