Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain - UPDATED TO BE "DON'T KILL YOURSELF" THREAD  (Read 8184 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
cool guy. has the best job ever. Kansas City episode of 'No Reservations' airs on monday. and i'm excited to watch it.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
Read his book, very good.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
slowly making my way through 'kitchen confidential'. very enjoyable, i'm just not an avid reader so it's taking half a year.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »
Intrigues me bunches

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
yeah, his books are pretty good.  it's kinda weird to watch as no reservations/his fame have taken off - he's got this precarious balance to maintain of old-school badass and rich-foodie-dude.  i think he handles it surprisingly well

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Saw his lecture in KC a few years back. Was great. Went to the meet and greet at the bristol after, really good food and drinks.  Really a cool guy, probably a huge dick if you're on his wrong side. Looking forward to hearing him talk up OK Joes

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
yeah, his books are pretty good.  it's kinda weird to watch as no reservations/his fame have taken off - he's got this precarious balance to maintain of old-school badass and rich-foodie-dude.  i think he handles it surprisingly well

Good call on the balance thing. I just started watching after he appeared on the daily show. He has that wonderful vibe where you imagine he's a dick to everyone else but not to you so it makes you feel cool.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »
He's never been a dick to anyone in the history of his show.  Seems like probably the nicest guy in the world. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
i met him a few years ago, nice guy - tall, like me (we generally are good people, minus sys)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
He's never been a dick to anyone in the history of his show.  Seems like probably the nicest guy in the world.

I love when he says crap like this:

"[Rachael Ray is] selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough."

"So you’re talking someone that’s as stupid and talentless and messed up as Britney Spears cooking? Hasn’t it happened already? [...]I think we have a pretty good idea what that creature would look like if that happened. It would be called 'Semi-Homemade,' and she has a show on Food Network already."

"I don’t dislike Guy Fieri, I realized, after many viewings of his cooking shows, much soul-searching at my personal ashram and many doses of prescription hypnotics. I just dislike — really dislike — the idea that somebody would put Texas-style barbecue inside a rough ridin' nori roll."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »
none of that is being an dick though.  that's just talking about people who are on tv while they are not in the room.  i'm a much bigger dick than that do you retards on a daily basis and I'm not a dick at all.  If anything I think he sucks up too much to everyone he meets on his show.  anthony, every single time you have a drink with some random dude in some weird place isn't the greatest moment of your life.  I'm sure he won't be offended if you don't tell him it is. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
I never said he was a dick or that you weren't a dick.  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »
I never said he was a dick or that you weren't a dick.  :dunno:

oh, I thought your quoting of me saying he wasn't a dick at all and then posting three things he said about tv chefs was insinuating that he is a dick.  and I'm not a dick at all.  I'm super nice and easy to get along with. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
My mistake, really. I thought you kept saying he wasn't a dick because you thought I said he was.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
I doubt he's a dick. Bet it'd be awesome to drink with him
emaw

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »

Agreed. I regret bringing that term into the equation.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
Love him....his books are pretty good, even the fiction.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »

that's what i did.  he did a show in kc a few years ago and afterwards i went over to the bristol in the P&L to get my buzz on, then bourdain came in.  and drank.  he's pretty much exactly like you would expect him to be. a very cordial man.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »

that's what i did.  he did a show in kc a few years ago and afterwards i went over to the bristol in the P&L to get my buzz on, then bourdain came in.  and drank.  he's pretty much exactly like you would expect him to be. a very cordial man.

Well, we may of bumped into eachother

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

i doubt it, i was actually inside the Bristol, not looking in the window wishing i was telling tony a good joke about jambone. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

i doubt it, i was actually inside the Bristol, not looking in the window wishing i was telling tony a good joke about jambone. 

:angry: I was inside! :curse:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
anybody watch the kansas city episode on monday? have not yet, but have it dvr'ed.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »
it was pretty meh, had some crazy russian named zamir with him and lots of shots of them walking through the west bottoms.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
my bro in law has hung out w/ been around him a handful of times. says he's kind of a dick.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
it was pretty meh, had some crazy russian named zamir with him and lots of shots of them walking through the west bottoms.

love zamir. i've noticed his love for "kansas" recently on twitter. pretty sure he thinks kansas city is in kansas. can't imagine why.