Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 104215 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #600 on: July 12, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »

That looks awesome. How do you like the fat boy?  Do you prefer it to full Suspension bikes trails like that?

To better answer your question: I've ridden this trail on a full suspension and generally love it for day trips to the high country. Full suspensions out there are way more fun and given the choice to ride the fatbike vs a fully, I would choose the fully in any instance where I'm not self-supporting over two or more days.

Awesome.  Man, where do you live?  I am very jealous. 

I have been looking into doing this crazy multiple day ride thing with a buddy of mine...it some deal where they stock little cabins or yurts for you along the way, and you just follow the map and don't have to pack crap.

I live in Durango, CO which has pretty phenomenal access to trails. I've had a couple of friends do the san juan hut systems from either durango to moab or telluride to moab. Supposed to be fun and having huts with a bed and booze sounds luxurious as hell. I came across a couple doods doing this on my ride and they looked like they were pretty stoked on it. Even with most of your food being taken care of there are a lot of bags that would help on your trip like:

http://www.bedrockbags.com/cockpit-bags/

http://www.bedrockbags.com/dakota-top-tube-bag/

http://www.bedrockbags.com/tapeats-stem-bag/

Lot of bag makers out there, but these guys are my personal fav. You should def do the trip; I doubt you'll regret it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »

That looks awesome. How do you like the fat boy?  Do you prefer it to full Suspension bikes trails like that?

To better answer your question: I've ridden this trail on a full suspension and generally love it for day trips to the high country. Full suspensions out there are way more fun and given the choice to ride the fatbike vs a fully, I would choose the fully in any instance where I'm not self-supporting over two or more days.

I have been looking into doing this crazy multiple day ride thing with a buddy of mine...it some deal where they stock little cabins or yurts for you along the way, and you just follow the map and don't have to pack crap.

I live in Durango, CO which has pretty phenomenal access to trails. I've had a couple of friends do the san juan hut systems from either durango to moab or telluride to moab. Supposed to be fun and having huts with a bed and booze sounds luxurious as hell. I came across a couple doods doing this on my ride and they looked like they were pretty stoked on it. Even with most of your food being taken care of there are a lot of bags that would help on your trip like:

Lot of bag makers out there, but these guys are my personal fav. You should def do the trip; I doubt you'll regret it.

That's the exact hut trip I was talking about.  If you talk with some of those guys again, ask them about recommendations for a "first trip," and any other pro tips.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 12, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »
I've looked at that hut trip and not doing it was one of my regrets from my time in CO.  Let me know when the gE trip gets scheduled.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Any cyclists?
« Reply #603 on: July 12, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
I've looked at that hut trip and not doing it was one of my regrets from my time in CO.  Let me know when the gE trip gets scheduled.

This would be an amazing thing.  What is the best time of year for these sorts of trips?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 12, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »

This would be an amazing thing.  What is the best time of year for these sorts of trips?

I would try to plan it late summer, after the kids are back to school, and before any possibility of snow.  Like first two weeks of September.  June might also be option to avoid precip.  If you're a risk taker maybe latter half of September when the quakies are turning.  I think July August you could get thunderstruck off the mountain almost any afternoon.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
Also, I'm doing this in April with my dad: http://www.cyclezydeco.org/

You and Asava are probably out of my league at the moment but I'm working on catching up.

Weather wise for the huts, anytime in the summer should be good.  April/May could be muddy.  When I lived there, any storms typically came and went within 30-40 minutes. Agree that early fall maybe the ideal time as school tends to open up availability.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 12, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »

That's the exact hut trip I was talking about.  If you talk with some of those guys again, ask them about recommendations for a "first trip," and any other pro tips.

I was this close to doing it last year with a friend, but couldn't take the time away from work. I know he used a set up very similar to the links I posted. A custom frame bag is super useful too. That handlebar bag can carry a ton. You'll still need water and food during the day, and bike tools/spare parts. When you are doing it with a group it's really helpful to split some of those things like tools up. No doubt about it though, water and food is the toughest problem to solve given how many calories you can burn through in a day. It will be super nice to not have to worry about Dinner and Breakfast, but you can expect to need to eat like every 2 or 3 hours and hydrate often. Salsa makes a couple cages that allow you to strap onto your fork (or front shock lower) and gives you additional space for bottles (https://www.bikebagshop.com/salsa-anything-cage-hd-with-salsa-straps-p-4001.html?gdffi=53938537a49247abad5a1dfdccc25019&gdfms=64040F387FA44A18B7D448F745ED2F8F&gclid=CjwKEAjwqpK8BRD7ua-U0orrgkESJADlN3YBsJv2KZ56YsFGPN_u4u9ybyeHPHsvNEiuo98UtF7E9RoCURzw_wcB) .

Something like these are other good options: http://www.bedrockbags.com/honaker-hydro-pack-1/ . I've never used em, but they probably would work great.  You could also use em to store food containers or get the BOT compatible one to use for your stove etc http://www.bedrockbags.com/bot-compatible-honaker/

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »

I would try to plan it late summer, after the kids are back to school, and before any possibility of snow.  Like first two weeks of September.  June might also be option to avoid precip.  If you're a risk taker maybe latter half of September when the quakies are turning.  I think July August you could get thunderstruck off the mountain almost any afternoon.

Passes are just opening up, and I saw a decent amount of snow up high. A few people I talked to on the trail said they still had to posthole on a pass. This has been an unusually long spring with a lot of moisture, causing the snow to stay clean and cold, and, therefore, stay in tact longer before running off. Monsoons usually start early July/ late June, but this year has been off on that as well. We haven't had rain for about two weeks after getting quite a afternoon showers in June. It's suspected that it will pick back up later this week, but could be getting real dry here soon.

There is really no way you are gonna be able to plan around staying dry up there. The micro-climates can change in an instant, but your best bets would be just after snow melt (late June) or late August, through September. Ya gotta keep in mind that you will be heading into Moab, which is a desert, so avoiding the heat is probably a good idea. We usually don't start heading that way until late September due to not wanting to get cooked. Since you will be sleeping in a hut, you shouldn't have to worry about it getting cold at night. Even early October wouldn't be bad. If I had my druthers, I'd probably plan it in late September, early October. You'll miss the wildflowers, but have a much greater chance of good weather.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:11 AM »
asava - you need one of these for that fatboy.

BTW - apparently that is supposed to be an inverted heart...no idea, just happened to show up in my FB feed.  All the comments were:  "that's not a heart, that's a ballsack."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 13, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »
Ballsack aside, this has been some of my favorite posting here on gE. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 21, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »
This is in September, always had a good time doing it.  Charity ride that starts in Prairiefire.   http://tourdebbq.com/

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
Ride on Saturday.  Some good stuff.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #612 on: August 01, 2016, 06:37:26 PM »
 :lick:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 01, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
That's fantastic

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
Damn. That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »
Looking into getting a bike and need some advice as to whether I should just grab one at walmart or go to a bike shop. I literally know nothing about bikes and have not had one since freshman year of college.

- This will be for exercise and cruising the neighborhood
-It will be a mountain bike, none of that panzy skinny tire nonsense
-I will not ride on roads with it, only sidewalks and sweet jumps
-I do not want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars
-I will not wear a helmet

Please provide any suggestions of bike models/types as well as any places to purchase said bikes in the kansas city area.

Ben ji,

how did this go for you? Ms. WW and I want to get into biking, just around town and paved trails. We literally have no idea what we're doing. At this point we're looking at used ones on craigslist or cheapos from Academy.

Thoughts anyone?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »

Forgot how motivating this view is

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »

Forgot how motivating this view is
Is that a bad tint job all over your windows?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
Guys I picked up this pile of hot sex a couple months ago

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
that is a hot bike man

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
i have been cruising to work lately on a schwinn that was $80 on craigslist. it has 21 speeds!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 30, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »
biking around paris was fun! @mocat

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
Do you guys have a bike rack or do you just roll that badboy right on in to your office?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
biking around paris was fun! @mocat

YES!