Author Topic: Advice for a first time Expectant Father  (Read 4439 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a first time Expectant Father
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2022, 08:43:21 PM »
Pampers > Huggies

the wasteband of Huggies caught a blowout the first week and now Ms. WW won't buy anything else. We had only purchased Pampers up until then

Kirkland diapers are the way to go, which are made by Huggies.
Don’t let your wife talk you into buying $500+ worth of cloth diapers, clips, pins, toilet sprayer attachment, etc. because “it’ll save so much money and it’s better for the environment.” That will only last about one week at most before you both see what a mistake that was.  I’m guessing…..

:lol:

pretty sure me and brothers were raised with them. No idea how my mom did it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2022, 09:00:36 PM »
Pampers > Huggies

the wasteband of Huggies caught a blowout the first week and now Ms. WW won't buy anything else. We had only purchased Pampers up until then

Kirkland diapers are the way to go, which are made by Huggies.
Don’t let your wife talk you into buying $500+ worth of cloth diapers, clips, pins, toilet sprayer attachment, etc. because “it’ll save so much money and it’s better for the environment.” That will only last about one week at most before you both see what a mistake that was.  I’m guessing…..

:lol:

pretty sure me and brothers were raised with them. No idea how my mom did it.

I recall having these around as a kid, but they had become shop rags. Multiple uses!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2022, 09:32:16 PM »
Cloth diapers are a great idea until you're cleaning crap up from everywhere that you attempted to get in the toilet. And cloth diaper laundry :Yuck:

I was a pampers man because that smell  :love: but my wife convinced me that target brand diapers are just as good at a fraction of the price and they are. Walmart brand on the other hand, lolful

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »
One of my kids had Huggies and one had pampers.

Two different butt shapes. But if you or the wrong one on blowout City

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2022, 10:42:03 PM »
It's never too early to start mapping out a supplement/strength training program for your youngster.

I'd probably hold off on the PED's until they are 16 and have found the sport they are best at (hopefully football at Kansas State U).

I've been dreaming of this in particular for years - and is one reason I have considered homeschooling. 4 hours of school and 4 hours of training a day.

I think I'll start with the "indoctrination phase" and work up to the physical aspects. As we all know - the game is only 20% skill.
Solid plan. Lil 10 year old yard dog will be creating his own playbook in Madden 2033(Mahomes on the cover) and just whooping up on 40 year old losers who play every once in a while.

Yard dog "how was school today son?"

Lil yard dog "I did some fractions in the morning then created an offense based off Mox's Oopty Oop playbook and won 4 straight games online. Gotta log off now and get my basic body weight training in. Say dad, could you mix me a protein shake?"

(Tear rolls down yard dogs cheek) "sure thing son. Maybe after you're done with that we can watch your favorite Avery Johnson highlight video?"

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2022, 11:22:46 PM »
You aren't a real dad until you put the car seat in the yard and wash baby crap out of it with a garden house after a blowout incident on the way home.
@mikec2w

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2022, 04:05:47 PM »
You're going to be tempted or your wife to buy a bunch of overpriced crap that you either won't use ever or seldom do. Do not do that.

We just started looking in the secondary market for a Snoo. I don't think the kid needs crazy overpriced "activities" but I am intrigued to spend money on the things that help protect our sanity.
PM if you are really looking into one (if in the KC metro).

PM sent!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2022, 04:11:04 PM »
You're going to be tempted or your wife to buy a bunch of overpriced crap that you either won't use ever or seldom do. Do not do that.

We just started looking in the secondary market for a Snoo. I don't think the kid needs crazy overpriced "activities" but I am intrigued to spend money on the things that help protect our sanity.
PM if you are really looking into one (if in the KC metro).

PM sent!

I didn't know you decamped from the DMV area.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
It's never too early to start mapping out a supplement/strength training program for your youngster.

I'd probably hold off on the PED's until they are 16 and have found the sport they are best at (hopefully football at Kansas State U).

I've been dreaming of this in particular for years - and is one reason I have considered homeschooling. 4 hours of school and 4 hours of training a day.

I think I'll start with the "indoctrination phase" and work up to the physical aspects. As we all know - the game is only 20% skill.
Solid plan. Lil 10 year old yard dog will be creating his own playbook in Madden 2033(Mahomes on the cover) and just whooping up on 40 year old losers who play every once in a while.

Lil yard dog "I did some fractions in the morning then created an offense based off Mox's Oopty Oop playbook and won 4 straight games online. Gotta log off now and get my basic body weight training in. Say dad, could you mix me a protein shake?"

(Tear rolls down yard dogs cheek) "sure thing son. Maybe after you're done with that we can watch your favorite Avery Johnson highlight video?"

You've just described "the dream". I have been told to not get too set on one specific future though so if he decides to do something dumb, like get an art degree like his dad, I don't feel "constant disappointment" and a "deep desire to disown him".

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2022, 04:15:19 PM »

You've just described "the dream". I have been told to not get too set on one specific future though so if he decides to do something dumb, like get an art degree like his dad, I don't feel "constant disappointment" and a "deep desire to disown him".

Dang. I assume these are your father's words?

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2022, 04:17:44 PM »
You’re going to feel like a crazy person and all depressed and stressed from time to time. Due mostly to the drastic interruption to your sleep schedule and general life schedule. You’ll adjust quickly. Keep your head up, keep chopping wood, etc. It’s easy after a while.

To that point and someone else’s about asking for help, when it gets tough, it’s okay to walk away from a crying baby to gather yourself. Take a few deep breaths and enjoy the ride!

Appreciate this advice. We're lucky to have a support network nearby to help when we need to take a breather.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2022, 04:19:50 PM »

Dang. I assume these are your father's words?

Not mine luckily. But I saw it from friends around me who got burnt out on whatever it was their parents had decided their futures would be. I was lucky to have parents who supported my decisions - - though in retrospect my pocketbook might be a little fatter if I had been forced into something like engineering instead.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2022, 04:21:56 PM »
I didn't know you decamped from the DMV area.

COVID changed a lot of perspectives for us. Mix that with aging parents who lived a long way away and the decision became pretty clear. Also, in theme with this thread, we saw examples of people raising kids with no family support vs family support and that was an easy decision for us as well.