Author Topic: oscar continues to own Lon...  (Read 5128 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar continues to own Lon...
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
last night was the annual episode of Good oscar that allows him to keep his job. the team plays with energy, shoots well, and is completely fun to watch.

i hope to see many more episodes of Good oscar this season.

I'm hopeful we have the leadership and drive from the players that oscar needs for this to happen. That's definitely not his forte, but when he has the guys to bring it his teams can be pretty good. We'll see.

I agree this is the key in a Weber team. And I agree with MIR that the magic of Frank’s teams (and to an extent Huggins as well) is that effort is a given.

Still, this season, Brown gives me a lot of hope we can keep it up. He’s got to be the best leader we’ve had in the Weber era. I also really like how Diarra has stepped up. There was one possession late in the second half where Diarra took it past half court and Brown came up to take the ball and Diarra aggressively waived him off before driving straight to the basket for an easy two.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
The biggest difference between oscar's program here in comparison to Frank's is playing with energy and purpose was the expectation for Frank's teams, it was cultural. Games like this come and go for oscar's teams because the expectation and toughness isn't built in. Sure, Frank's teams had the occasional compete dog of a game but it was rarely if ever due to effort and energy. The greatest dog crap game I can remember Frank's team playing was that Texas game where we lost by a billion. But that wasn't due to a lack of effort, they still defended, that was just the most inept offensive performance I've ever seen from a K-State team. Under oscar we have games like the Tulsa game five or six times a year.

Players were scared to quit on Frank, Oscar not so much.  Frank was more primal in his approach, Oscar more cerebral.  I think Frank really liked, and took a personal interest in his players.  Not sure Oscar does that so much.  Over time, I think Frank's approach was more consistently successful, but am hoping Oscar's approach will be effective through March....

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
last night was the annual episode of Good oscar that allows him to keep his job. the team plays with energy, shoots well, and is completely fun to watch.

The biggest difference between oscar's program here in comparison to Frank's is playing with energy and purpose was the expectation for Frank's teams, it was cultural. Games like this come and go for oscar's teams because the expectation and toughness isn't built in. Sure, Frank's teams had the occasional compete dog of a game but it was rarely if ever due to effort and energy. The greatest dog crap game I can remember Frank's team playing was that Texas game where we lost by a billion. But that wasn't due to a lack of effort, they still defended, that was just the most inept offensive performance I've ever seen from a K-State team. Under oscar we have games like the Tulsa game five or six times a year.

Completely agree. In fact last night (and this is depressing) I was almost unhappy in a way that our crowd was so good because I knew that's usually the only way oscar's teams play that hard.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »

Completely agree. In fact last night (and this is depressing) I was almost unhappy in a way that our crowd was so good because I knew that's usually the only way oscar's teams play that hard.

My feel is that more leadership is coming from the players this year. Brown is definitely a leader and Sneed is an energy guy. Wade is just really good/talented and starting to figure out how to play. Cartier seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I liked Wes and DJamer, but I don't think either was the leader that this group has now and it showed last year. That's what gives me hope, which very well may burn me again.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
Really good article from Dodd with Young's dad. I didn't realize his dad was Rayford Young, really good player for Tech in the late 90s. I remember watching him play.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/trae-young-has-the-support-system-if-not-the-on-court-help-for-even-his-worst-game/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »

My feel is that more leadership is coming from the players this year. Brown is definitely a leader and Sneed is an energy guy. Wade is just really good/talented and starting to figure out how to play. Cartier seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I liked Wes and DJamer, but I don't think either was the leader that this group has now and it showed last year. That's what gives me hope, which very well may burn me again.

:thumbs:

I think Frank really liked, and took a personal interest in his players.  Not sure Oscar does that so much. 

I think the players like him.

On the somewhat related topic of these two posts, was this ever discussed?
https://twitter.com/barrybrown05/status/950521759564029952

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »
i'm definitely in between

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
On the somewhat related topic of these two posts, was this ever discussed?
https://twitter.com/barrybrown05/status/950521759564029952

that’s rich coming from a player who has decided to start holding practices without his coach

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
Against.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »
i think cats broke trae young

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
never mind...

The Big Train

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Yikes. That post didn’t age well

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
14 for 39 but 40 percent from 3. Eight assists to seven turnovers. The bad part was his The Flush like late-game heroics. Pokes were so intent on covering him, it looked like the rest of the team was open.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »
14 for 39 but 40 percent from 3. Eight assists to seven turnovers. The bad part was his The Flush like late-game heroics. Pokes were so intent on covering him, it looked like the rest of the team was open.

The rest of the team was god awful at shooting the basketball yesterday.