Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 445534 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #5275 on: November 17, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
tie game. we had some chances that were embarrassing misses.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: November 17, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
My stupid recording didn't work and it started during the 89th minute, doesn't look like I missed much.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: November 17, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
My stupid recording didn't work and it started during the 89th minute, doesn't look like I missed much.

you didn't, it was rough ridin' boring

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: November 19, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #5279 on: November 19, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
Pissed. Really wanted KC. Will probably have to go to Chicago for a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
Filthadelphia :flush:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: November 20, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
How do people feel about soccer games at football stadiums?  I mean it's no Final Four at Lucas Oil  :Woot:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: November 20, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
How do people feel about soccer games at football stadiums?  I mean it's no Final Four at Lucas Oil  :Woot:

i mean, both games are played on a big rectangle so it seems like it would make a lot of sense

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: November 20, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »

i mean, both games are played on a big rectangle so it seems like it would make a lot of sense

Well I really like dedicated soccer parks, and quite frankly, I've been really turned off with the trend in large NFL stadiums.  UofPhx was okay (only Fiesta-ed there in the endzone) but I did not like Cowboys stadium even for football (seemed very sterile).  Arrowhead was good for football (those sight lines  :love:).  I know they are driving ticket numbers with these choices, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I would love to see a MNT game at an NFL field as my only experience thus far has been Mercy ParkTM.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5284 on: November 20, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
What is the cost to really get involved and noticed in US youth soccer?  I (possibly incorrectly) perceive "serious" US soccer as almost exclusively the sport of upper-middle class and above. I would interested to see the socioeconomic background for the current US team.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: November 20, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
What is the cost to really get involved and noticed in US youth soccer?  I (possibly incorrectly) perceive "serious" US soccer as almost exclusively the sport of upper-middle class and above. I would interested to see the socioeconomic background for the current US team.

I'd say that's mostly true. The Hispanic community is obviously an exception and there's the occasional Clint Dempsey but other than that it's mostly upper-middle and above, generally in larger cities.

I don't think it's as much the cost of involvement as it is that basketball and football are so ingrained in the athletic culture of low income classes in America and baseball is in there too. There's currently a high cost of involvement at the level we're talking about here, but if it soccer was anywhere near as popular as football and basketball the actual costs would probably be cheaper than either.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: November 20, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »

You're talking at least a couple of thousand a year just for club fees if you're in a "top" club team starting at U11. Plus uniforms, plus tournament fees, plus travel costs, etc. Those numbers get higher as the kid gets older.

There are scholarships and lower cost leagues and what-not, but my experience is that the cost ramps up higher earlier than other youth sports.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: November 20, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
welcome to the soccer threads @sleepfighter

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: November 20, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
I've posted a few times in what is obviously the premier gE soccer thread.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: November 20, 2015, 04:34:59 PM »
I've posted a few times in what is obviously the premier gE soccer thread.

world cup thread?

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: November 20, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
I thought this was self-evident:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=32792.0

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: November 20, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
:Keke:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: November 22, 2015, 12:17:29 AM »

Well I really like dedicated soccer parks, and quite frankly, I've been really turned off with the trend in large NFL stadiums.  UofPhx was okay (only Fiesta-ed there in the endzone) but I did not like Cowboys stadium even for football (seemed very sterile).  Arrowhead was good for football (those sight lines  :love:).  I know they are driving ticket numbers with these choices, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I would love to see a MNT game at an NFL field as my only experience thus far has been Mercy ParkTM.

FWIW I've been to Wembley and the French National Stadium in St. Denis and they're both sterile as well.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: November 23, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »

FWIW I've been to Wembley and the French National Stadium in St. Denis and they're both sterile as well.

Details on the experience please.

I've also wondered if a lot of Euro teams have this issue since some many of them cross as "athletics" stadiums.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: November 23, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »

https://twitter.com/downthebyline/status/668872983667220480

I thought the host cities were leaked a while ago and it was in Portland or Seattle? No way they ply all 3 home games in the Midwest

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 23, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/downthebyline/status/668872983667220480

I thought the host cities were leaked a while ago and it was in Portland or Seattle? No way they ply all 3 home games in the Midwest

I don't remember but Doug McIntyre knows what he is talking about

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »

Details on the experience please.

I've also wondered if a lot of Euro teams have this issue since some many of them cross as "athletics" stadiums.

Not many deets to give really, I'm guessing that Stade dè France was modeled after Wembley, on the interior anyway. Like you said both are multi use facilities so while both have marks from their respective national teams in certain places, there's no charm or character. The only thing close was going into Prince William's box at Wembley. We made the climb that teams do when they win hardware, there's a set of really dodgy metal stairs that can't be great to climb after playing 90 or 120 minutes. They're nice but not awe-inspiring, its like what I'd imagine it would be like for a college basketball team playing their home games at the Sprint Center.

BTW I've also been too Old Trafford, Emirates, and Stamford Bridge. All were cool; Stamford Bridge is ratty as hell but their player facilities are great, and it's in a fun neighborhood. Emirates was nice and shiny and stuff, the fan amenities were great but they skimped on the player features, they have cool stuff but everything is smaller for the players than the other two which is weird because they have the most space of the three. Old Trafford has really nice fan and player amenities, best balance of the three.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
I feel like soccer stadiums in Europe are more about the history than the modern amenities. I went to Wembley in 1997 and yeah it was trash but damn if I didn't get goosebumps walking up to the 2 white towers, site of a World Cup final, and knowing people had been watching games there since the 1920s. I went to Old Trafford too but this was before they expanded and improved everything

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 24, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
maybe one day when I have a few  :th_twocents: i can travel to some games
thanks for the points