Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4051692 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26775 on: October 14, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
ron was a marketing master.  one look at the '06 spring game extravaganza ft. the Goo Goo Dolls told you all you needed to know about that.

Remember when he revamped the website? There was video of all the coaches talking! Even the fat white guy from Oklahoma!
inside.kstatesports.com was really ahead of its time. it was just about the raddest thing i'd ever seen.

yes. Ron did a few things very, very well. I've thought about it, and I think that if people had been more patient with him he wouldn't have panicked with that juco-heavy class and would have been in decent shape by 2010 or so. I mean he recruited a first round draft pick and Heisman finalist as QB's while he was here!

Prince made a great hire with Raheem Morris. He just failed to keep him around for more than one season and hired Tim Tibesar. You have to have good assistants to be successful. That means you have to be someone that good assistants want to work for.

yeah and IIRC he made a pretty good replacement hire (mcgriffin or someone) that he ran off before spring ball because he promised him to be DC or something and instead gave it to tibs.

side note: did anyone else have no idea Tibs was defensive coordinator at Purdue for a season?

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tim_tibesar_946352.html

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26776 on: October 14, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Our defensive drop off after Morris left was very noticeable. Ron would have had at least another year if he just managed to beat KU once.

yeah it was unfortunate that his tenure coincided with the greatest three year run in KU history. This was also the time MU was on the upswing and we decided to make them our rival (when no one had ever given a crap about them before)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26777 on: October 14, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
ron was a marketing master.  one look at the '06 spring game extravaganza ft. the Goo Goo Dolls told you all you needed to know about that.

Remember when he revamped the website? There was video of all the coaches talking! Even the fat white guy from Oklahoma!
inside.kstatesports.com was really ahead of its time. it was just about the raddest thing i'd ever seen.

yes. Ron did a few things very, very well. I've thought about it, and I think that if people had been more patient with him he wouldn't have panicked with that juco-heavy class and would have been in decent shape by 2010 or so. I mean he recruited a first round draft pick and Heisman finalist as QB's while he was here!

Prince made a great hire with Raheem Morris. He just failed to keep him around for more than one season and hired Tim Tibesar. You have to have good assistants to be successful. That means you have to be someone that good assistants want to work for.

yeah and IIRC he made a pretty good replacement hire (mcgriffin or someone) that he ran off before spring ball because he promised him to be DC or something and instead gave it to tibs.

side note: did anyone else have no idea Tibs was defensive coordinator at Purdue for a season?

I'm pretty sure it was Wesley McGriff, and that guy is the secondary coach at New Orleans now, i think.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26778 on: October 14, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
Our defensive drop off after Morris left was very noticeable. Ron would have had at least another year if he just managed to beat KU once.

yeah it was unfortunate that his tenure coincided with the greatest three year run in KU history. This was also the time MU was on the upswing and we decided to make them our rival (when no one had ever given a crap about them before)

Nobody really gave a crap about MU, then, either. They just got thrown in because Ron was 0-3 against them. People were pissed because Ron was 0-6 against KU and NU, and it was during a stretch of some pretty bad NU football.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26779 on: October 14, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was Wesley McGriff, and that guy is the secondary coach at New Orleans now, i think.

Are we sure it wasn't Ruffin McNeil?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26780 on: October 14, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »

Are we sure it wasn't Ruffin McNeil?
Ruffin was going to be one of Ron's first hires.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26781 on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
sounds like we are on the ground floor of the prince for ad movement
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26782 on: November 20, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
I came across this on Shaggytexas, and thought it was interesting.

A combined Cincy/Dayton MSA puts them around the 15-20th largest in the country, right there with Seattle/Minneapolis/San Diego.  It moves them from around KC size to that.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/a-combined-cincinnati-dayton-metropolitan-comes-cl/nkxJN/

Again, not advocating, but just saying if we expand, it's probably a factor.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26783 on: November 20, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
Disgusting

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26784 on: November 20, 2015, 01:51:49 PM »
road trips to Cincy would be way better than people realize. being in ohio gives cincinnati a bad rep

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26785 on: November 20, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
road trips to Cincy would be way better than people realize. being in ohio gives cincinnati a bad rep

they put chili on spaghetti. gross

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26786 on: November 20, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
I would prefer Cincinnati over Memphis or Houston. But don't want any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26787 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31:42 PM »
Cincy checks every single box that we "probably" have in expansion right now, and this just makes things more likely that they'll be #11.

Academics, endowment, large market, close to WVU, decent/good football, decent good basketball, etc. 

After that, you have to make a decision between Houston and Memphis, and that really comes down to academics.  All things being equal, we'd probably go with Memphis, but Houston has the research, endowment, political/academic pull.

Again, all theoretical.  There's nothing out there to say that we're expanding any time soon.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26788 on: November 20, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Gross

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26789 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
Big 12 picking up Cincy would still be a better move than Big 10 getting Rutgers.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26790 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
Big 12 picking up Cincy would still be a better move than Big 10 getting Rutgers.
Are you high?

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26791 on: November 20, 2015, 03:01:48 PM »
Cincy checks every single box that we "probably" have in expansion right now, and this just makes things more likely that they'll be #11.

Academics, endowment, large market, close to WVU, decent/good football, decent good basketball, etc. 

After that, you have to make a decision between Houston and Memphis, and that really comes down to academics.  All things being equal, we'd probably go with Memphis, but Houston has the research, endowment, political/academic pull.

Again, all theoretical.  There's nothing out there to say that we're expanding any time soon.
Academics?  They'll fit in with West Virginia, I guess.

Offline Hullabaloo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26792 on: November 20, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »

Pretty sure Cincy is ranked right next to us academically, which isn't that great

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26793 on: November 20, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
I really want Nebraska to come back
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26794 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
I really want Nebraska to come back

Can we trade the Big 10 Iowa State for Nebraska straight up? I'd be willing to throw in a slightly damp, used goalpost from the Royals victory celebration and top secret playbook burial location advice, but that's a final offer.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26795 on: November 20, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
Helmet teams rough ridin' matter. Yes we can't get them right now, and that's why we're at ten. The big ten made really really shitty pick ups, particularly if forced subscriptions fail, but that has nothing to do with our conference.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26796 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »

Pretty sure Cincy is ranked right next to us academically, which isn't that great

Higher than us in US News rankings
Tier 1 research institution (We are Tier 2)
Billion dollar endowment
On the short list of AAU potential candidates

They are actually pretty far ahead of us, and they have an enormous undergraduate population. I believe it's north of 40k.

For that matter, Houston is ahead of us in pretty much every ranking that matters with the exception of US News.

Again, we can crap on them for some things, but not academics.  They're better than we are.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26797 on: November 21, 2015, 01:01:09 AM »

I agree

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26798 on: November 21, 2015, 01:04:09 AM »

I agree

:thumbs:

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26799 on: November 21, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
After moving to the east coast, I disagree. Rutgers is very popular in NJ/NY.