Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 213246 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Most of us already knew this, but now there is rock solid proof.

We make more money
We are younger
We are the most likely to actually go to a game.

Can't wait until the "world is flat and we all descended from Noah's family" crew comes in and tries to rip down science.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/10/2715825/image-is-everything-ku-mu-and.html#

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Doesn't include the cool graph from the actual paper.

Also, LOL that ku fans had to stay in school so long...

Although it happened nearly 20 years ago, the memory is still fresh in Phil Carr’s mind.

When Carr was a child, his family would travel from Topeka to visit his grandparents in Columbia. They weren’t affiliated with the University of Missouri, but the trips always revolved around a KU-MU game.

For Carr, it was a ruthless introduction to the passion of the Border War.

“I remember I spilled my nachos, and (the MU fans) just would be cheering,” Carr said. “And I was a 5-year-old kid.”

Carr now has what might best be described as MU fan radar.

“I would say I could point out a Missouri fan without them wearing any Missouri gear,” said Carr, a 2008 KU graduate.

Likewise, MU grad Pat Ryan believes he can spot Kansas fans in a crowd.

“The Mizzou crowd would be more fun to roll to an event with, but I’d probably have to have a bigger damage deposit on the hotel room,” said Ryan, a 1992 graduate and a three-time letterwinner on the Tigers football team. “Mizzou is a little bit more blue-collar lunch pail.

“The KU crowd is a little bit more spoon-fed and debutant and high society. My impression is KU people are just a little bit more needy and entitled. Sweater vest-wearing, Ivy League wannabe.”

But here’s the dirty little secret. Fans of the two schools — and Kansas State for that matter — are not all that different.

A Scarborough Research poll of 1,959 adults in the Kansas City area found that supporters of all three schools are similar in most demographics.

And in what’s likely a stomach-turning twist to the more hardcore fans, some of the respondents said they were fans of more than one of the three schools.

The overall breakdown showed that 46.3 percent of those polled called themselves KU fans, followed by 38.6 percent for Missouri and 29 percent for K-State.

If that seems on the low end for Wildcats backers, think again. Gary Raffety, a 1969 graduate of K-State, can remember a time when Wildcats fans were an afterthought here.

“Back when I was just out of college,” Raffety said, “you couldn’t go out to the store and find anything with Kansas State University on it. … Usually it was limited to KU and Missouri in Kansas City.”

So perhaps the number of Wildcat fans is unexpectedly high. A closer examination of the survey may be surprising to those with preconceived notions of the enemy.

Those “spoon-fed, entitled” KU fans actually have a lower average household income than K-State fans ($76,657 to $75,170), and Mizzou supporters are not far behind at $73,565.

Kansas fans had the highest level of education, averaging 14.4 years of schooling. But MU and K-State aren’t far off, each averaging 14.2.

The average age of the fans is similar as well: the average K-State fan is 45.3 years old, followed by KU at 45.9 and MU at 46.1.

That the fans are a lot alike wasn’t surprising to Carr.

“You hear those stereotypes, but I don’t necessarily know if that’s true,” said Carr, who admitted he was careful with words since his boss is a MU fan. “It’s too big of a stereotype to fall under. I’ve always had the theory if you go along with the stereotypes, you only make yourself seem worse.”

The poll results did reveal some differences. K-State had the largest percentage of male supporters at 59.8 percent, followed by Mizzou (56) and KU (54). In turn, KU ranked highest in female fandom (46 percent of the overall fan base). MU had 44 percent, while K-State is at 40.2 percent.

Perhaps not surprisingly, KU fans showed a higher level of interest in college basketball than their MU counterparts (87 percent to 79.2), but both schools ranked behind K-State (89 percent).

In football interest, K-State (87.7 percent) leads the way, followed by KU (82.9) and Missouri (81.9).

That speaks to the passion of K-State’s supporters. And if there is one thing that unites Mizzou and Kansas fans, it’s their view of Wildcats fans … though not in the way one might think.

Both Ryan and Carr actually have a fond view of the Wildcats — as long as they are not playing their team.

“I can tolerate K-State,” Ryan said. “They are more like an orphan and you feel sorry for them and you root for them.”

Especially when the Wildcats play KU. And Carr feels the same way when the Wildcats take on Mizzou. In fact, Carr has a number of friends who attended K-State.

That both schools are in Kansas probably helps bridge the gap.

“Maybe (it’s because) we have so many family members who go to both schools,” Raffety said. “Maybe that has something to do with it.”

Given the geographic distance separating MU and K-State, that rivalry is not quite as strong as the one between the Tigers and Jayhawks. Plus, Raffety said, the Wildcats had little football success before LHC Bill Snyder arrived in Manhattan.

“I think their attitude toward us has probably changed somewhat,” Raffety said. “We used to be Silo Tech, but now I think they have a little more respect for us.”

All-out loathing? That’s reserved for the relationship between the Border War teams.

The Nacho Incident will always stick with Carr — as will that early impression of Mizzou’s fans.

“It wasn’t just one or two people,” he recalled. “It was the whole section.”

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
count your money you rich cat fans  :cool:

KU fans actually have a lower average household income than K-State fans ($76,657 to $75,170), and Mizzou supporters are not far behind at $73,565.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
count your money you rich cat fans  :cool:

KU fans actually have a lower average household income than K-State fans ($76,657 to $75,170), and Mizzou supporters are not far behind at $73,565.

I'm pretty sure those numbers don't include the salaries of goEMAW staff. Otherwise it would bring the average up closer to $80K.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Is it charity if I stop in on the ku fan down the hall and offer to buy him lunch or something?  I mean, he looked kind of hungry.  

(If I do, where do really old people like to eat?)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is it charity if I stop in on the ku fan down the hall and offer to buy him lunch or something?  I mean, he looked kind of hungry.  

dennys

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Is it charity if I stop in on the ku fan down the hall and offer to buy him lunch or something?  I mean, he looked kind of hungry. 

Dillon's cafeteria

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wendy's. And odds are they will order a small bowl of chili and a baked potato with a small drink. Amazing what you can get for around $3.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Wendy's. And odds are they will order a small bowl of chili and a baked potato with a small drink. Amazing what you can get for around $3.

I'm going to offer to buy the Biggie fries for him. 

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
cireksu and fam are ahead of the curve.  Poor (pfft) ku and mu fans.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I hope someone has taken this TO THE PHOG!  :cheese:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Just told the ku fan that waters my office plants that I actually went to the game yesterday.  He reacted like he had just discovered fire.  Said he had never been.  Wanted to know more about attending games in person and not watching on a t.v. that is set on top of broken console t.v.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:popscollar:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
:popscollar:

:popssuperfancyshirtcollar:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popsconvertibleroof:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:pops$500bottleofchampagne:

Offline Jarvis_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile

Are these figures net or gross?

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popshousingmarketbubbleandgetsgiantgoldenparachutepaycheck:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popsup72inchplasmatvfrombehindthewall:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popsopencheckbooktobuycongressman:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Are these figures net or gross?

Who calculates net household income?  Seems like that would be pretty distorted.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popsintosharperimageandbuysthewholefuckingstore:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
More money, less bandwagon.

What else needs to be said. 

:gocho:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The poll results did reveal some differences. K-State had the largest percentage of male supporters at 59.8 percent, followed by Mizzou (56) and KU (54). In turn, KU ranked highest in female fandom (46 percent of the overall fan base). MU had 44 percent, while K-State is at 40.2 percent.

Well, we do know that much like this website, being a Cats fan is pretty much a sausage fest.  That's okay, sometimes it's necessary to keep chicks away from sports.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile

:lol: my grandparents used to get that every week.

add hopiq to _fan's BITB list
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."