Author Topic: Illinois cans Groce.  (Read 29576 times)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois cans Groce.
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:13 AM »
brad seems pretty great

I'm still, to this day, baffled by the fact that Currie hired Oscar over simply maintaining continuity in the program with Brad when he ran Frank off...

:shakesfist:

I'm pretty sure Currie just wanted to be done with that era of K-State basketball. Period.

I tend to agree with this.  Plus, I'm not that sure that Currie was concerned with us actually "winning" as long as we remained in the meaty part of the bell curve.
bears are fast...

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

I tend to agree with this.  Plus, I'm not that sure that Currie was concerned with us actually "winning" as long as we remained in the meaty part of the bell curve.

You guys apparently haven't watched Currie much. All he cares about is compliance. He wants to be the BEST compliance AD in history. He does not give a rip if the teams win.

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »

You guys apparently haven't watched Currie much. All he cares about is compliance. He wants to be the BEST compliance AD in history. He does not give a rip if the teams win.

I can confirm.

#1 priority - don't even have a whiff of impropriety around a program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »

Yeah, that's why I said he was done with that era of K-State basketball, including all people associated with it. Brad was never going to be considered because his connections with Frank while Currie was here. I don't think its accurate to say he doesn't want to win, but its going to be "the right way".

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
brad also wasn't going to be hired because he was already a coach here and because he was a former player here. currie doesn't believe in promoting current assistants to head coaches or hiring former players as head coaches. brad was never, ever, ever, ever going to become head coach while currie was here.

also yeah, anybody with 1/3 of a brain immediately knew that winning wasn't a huge priority the second that frank was pushed out and oscar was hired. that was 100% obvious to every single moderately functioning adult human.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
brad seems pretty great

I'm still, to this day, baffled by the fact that Currie hired Oscar over simply maintaining continuity in the program with Brad when he ran Frank off...

:shakesfist:

I'm pretty sure Currie just wanted to be done with that era of K-State basketball. Period.

I heard a story that Currie was planning to keep Brad on as Associate Head Coach but when oscar was hired, he insisted on Lowery.  No idea how true it is but a oscar/Brad dynamic would have been interesting.  I think having some of the previous regime's intensity carry over could've made a big difference in the long run.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
I heard a story that Currie was planning to keep Brad on as Associate Head Coach but when oscar was hired, he insisted on Lowery.  No idea how true it is but a oscar/Brad dynamic would have been interesting.  I think having some of the previous regime's intensity carry over could've made a big difference in the long run.

Perhaps, but he had to know that nearly from the start. I'm sure one of the first things oscar asked for was bringing Lowery with him as AHC.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »

Perhaps, but he had to know that nearly from the start. I'm sure one of the first things oscar asked for was bringing Lowery with him as AHC.

Yea, I think Currie made an effort to keep him around before they had oscar hired.  Brad would know that the next coach would have the ultimate say.

Online PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »

Yea, I think Currie made an effort to keep him around before they had oscar hired.  Brad would know that the next coach would have the ultimate say.

JC offered Brad to stay as AHC. Brad called Self, they were decent friends off the court, Bill basically LOL'd and recommended Brad leave immediately. Not saying this was the sole reason he left, or that the other examples didn't happen as well, but it contributed.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline rob mccolley

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2017, 01:55:08 PM »