Author Topic: Amaad Wainright arrested by us marshals  (Read 34520 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Amaad Wainright arrested by us marshals
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM »
If the US Marshalls were sent to get him, I'm guessing it's more likely he committed a very serious crime (eg Drug Trafficking) than he gets exonerated.

The charges have already been announced bud.

Looks like my presumption were correct, per usual
  wait....you do realize this was probably the US Marshals' warrant squad working a local warrant with city/county not an actual federal warrant right?   
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
What have you read that led you to state this as fact? I haven't read anything that indicates that they knew he was being tracked by US Marshals.

Obviously, we thought it was," Taylor said Tuesday before K-State's basketball banquet in Manhattan. "There were no charges when we first heard about it, so that's why we thought it was closed. Now he has been arrested, and department policy is that if you are arrested for a felony, you are indefinitely suspended. We found out he was arrested today, so we immediately suspended him."

"We were told that he was cooperating, and there weren't any charges at the time," Taylor said. "We went with the information that we had. Now that we have more information, obviously that he has been charged with a felony, our decision is to suspend him indefinitely.

taylor made it fairly clear that the change in his status following the end of the season was solely related to the charges, not to any new information about his actions.  if kstate released a statement when wainright announced his intention to transfer, i haven't seen it.

We're going to keep going round and round on this so I'm not going to post on it again. Your position on this and interpretation of Gene's quotes all hinge upon K-State knowing what he did and then knowing there was still an open investigation. This quote in the February article leads me to believe that they didn't have a complete picture painted for them by either the Overland Park Police Department or Amaad himself:
On Monday night, K-State athletics released a statement that read: “Amaad fully cooperated with authorities and was not charged. To our knowledge, this matter is resolved.”
Your stance hinges on them overly lying about this quote. You are completely dismissing the possibility that Amaad lied to them. It's pretty obvious that at the time OPPD didn't have all the evidence they needed either. It's completely plausible that they told K-State that his car was involved in a drive by shooting them Amaad told them that he loaned his car to his friend and he didn't know they did that. Then OPPD determined they needed to review the surveillance videos and eyewitness accounts to solidify that he was in fact the shooter.

You may be right about what they knew and when they knew it, but you absolutely do not have the facts, now as we know them, to be resolute about it. You being firmly planted on your high horse about this, a stance you seemingly don't take on anything at all, is completely agenda driven.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »
KSU's rationale for not taking further action was almost simultaneously shot down:

So far, there have been no arrests in the case, but police say they are still working on it. The incident report shows the gunfire came from Kansas State basketball player Amaad Wainwright's car.

Wainwright had just come off a huge upset after the Wildcats beat Oklahoma in Manhattan the night before.

Wainwright is from Kansas City.

Overland Park police say they do know there was more than one person in Wainwright's car.

"We know there were two, and the reason I say that is because someone is driving the vehicle and the other person I guess the door opened a little bit and that's when the person shot at the victim's vehicle," Officer John Lacy said

K-State issued the following statement to KCTV5 News on Monday:

"We are aware of the situation involving Amaad Wainright.  Amaad fully cooperated with authorities and was not charged. To our knowledge, this matter is resolved."

Police say they are still working on this case. At this point, Wainwright's involvement in the alleged crime is unclear.

Investigators say they want to hear from anyone who may have seen that alleged road rage incident happen to call them.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/37432138/k-states-amaad-wainwrights-car-may-be-linked-to-overland-park-road-rage-shooting

Knowing KSUPD's relationship w/kstatesports, it's hard to believe kstatesports didn't know all of this prior to deciding to let him keep playing and putting out that statement:

On Jan. 26, Overland Park police contacted the K-State Police Department. The affidavit says K-State police spoke with Wainright, who said he "sped off and ran from the police" after he was stopped Jan. 17 and went home after he got away.

The affidavit contains Wainright's account of the shooting. He said he was driving his car when a high school friend named Trevon Barr shot at another vehicle on I-435. Wainright said the other car had cut him off and slammed on the brakes in front of him. He said Barr was in the front right seat of his vehicle. Wainright said Barr told him that the other driver reached for something, so Barr pulled out a black pistol and fired a shot at the other car as Wainright drove beside it.

Wainright said there was a third passenger in the car, according to the affidavit. That person, who has not been charged, told police he did not see the gun, did not see Barr shoot at anyone and did not notice road rage.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article209219954.html

Kstatesports could've decided exactly what their statements imply, that until a player is charged and so long as there's a chance of getting away with something, he can keep playing.  Or they could have known everything that happened or at least what Wainwright admitted to and decided that was cool for the time being.

When you know as much as it appears kstatesports (or if wanting to alleviate them of some responsibility, likely at least KSU from a security standpoint) did, it's pretty arbitrary to let "getting charged" be the determining factor on whether a roster spot is freed.  Prosecutors routinely choose when and when not to charge for purely strategic reasons.

It'll probably be clearer once all the documentation can be seen rather than the snippets of stuff Kellis chose to put in an article.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Amaad Wainright arrested by us marshals
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Agree with MIR that it’s a weird look for sys. But hey, none of us have enough facts to authoritatively say his presumptions are wrong, so crusade away.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Amaad Wainright arrested by us marshals
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »
@Trim The question is how much circumstantial evidence is enough to suspend a player in anticipation of criminal charges being brought.

I totally get that people have differing views on this. IMO, a school has no obligation to sit a player during an investigation so long as the school and player are fully cooperative. Obviously other people feel differently: that even a chance of being charged with something is enough to sit them. But to act like either side has some kind of moral high ground is ridiculous. No one here was calling for oscar to turn Foster into the feds for smoking marijuana.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
@Trim The question is how much circumstantial evidence is enough to suspend a player in anticipation of criminal charges being brought.

I totally get that people have differing views on this. IMO, a school has no obligation to sit a player during an investigation so long as the school and player are fully cooperative. Obviously other people feel differently: that even a chance of being charged with something is enough to sit them. But to act like either side has some kind of moral high ground is ridiculous. No one here was calling for oscar to turn Foster into the feds for smoking marijuana.

I could understand waiting on the investigation if he were claiming that he was innocent. He told the campus police that he was driving the vehicle, his friend fired shots into another vehicle, and then he got into a high speed chase after a cop tried to talk to him about it. Are you saying K-State should have waited to see if the investigation found he actually didn't do all of what he said he did, or that what he said he did isn't enough that he should be kicked off the team?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
My hero is the third passenger who did not see anything at all, including any road rage.

Huh? Road rage? :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »

From KSU's perspective, there was no circumstantial evidence.  There was Wainwright's own statement to KSU's cops that he'd driving a car with his buddy as a passenger, that there'd been a driving dispute with another driver, that his passenger had shot at the other driver or his car, and that Wainwright had then sped off and ran from the police.

My point is that Wainwright's statement alone could've warranted the final decision on his playing status right then.  It should've warranted KSU doing more digging, or at least not issuing a statement of "he's not charged, all good!"

KSU, maybe intentionally or maybe inadvertently, took advantage (twice!) of the timing of a criminal procedure that should've been irrelevant to their decision.  Like I said pages ago, judging someone's character worthy of having a roster spot should involve examining what they actually did, not whether they got away with something or not.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
The question is how much information K-State got from the initial police investigation. I'm going to guess that Wainright wasn't completely forthcoming with the coaching staff about what happened. I'm pretty sure he and his friends didn't head out intending on some sort of drive by, but once it happened Wainright wasn't going to rat out his friends no matter what.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
The question is how much information K-State got from the initial police investigation. I'm going to guess that Wainright wasn't completely forthcoming with the coaching staff about what happened. I'm pretty sure he and his friends didn't head out intending on some sort of drive by, but once it happened Wainright wasn't going to rat out his friends no matter what.

He definitely wasn't completely forthcoming.  We know that because we can see what he told KSU's cops (and that information certainly would've gone to KSU's athletics staff and basketball coaches) and we know that doesn't jive with having gone to the mall after escaping the highway.

However, what he's been charged with jives with what he himself admitted to.  Even if the story is worse than what he's admitted to and what the prosecutors felt they could charge him with, nothing's changed from KSU's perspective as to what they 100% know Wainwright did.

In other words, they've decided that Wainwright, by his own admission in late January, had driven a car from which his buddy shot at another driver and car and that Wainwright had then sped away and fled police is cool, but that getting charged with it in April is not cool.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
My hero is the third passenger who did not see anything at all, including any road rage.

Huh? Road rage? :dunno:

yes.  mystery 3rd person in back seat does not hear gun go off inside car he is riding in.  nor notice cop chasing them as they speed down 435 at 100 mph.  seems plausible. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
The third guy probably has narcolepsy or something.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
You guys have never gotten out of the backseat of a car and days later found out that while you were in the backseat a gun battle was waged by front seat occupants going 100MPH down the Interstate in the middle of a major metroplex?

SMDH, sheltered kids.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
good work in this thread, trim.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
We’ve come a long way from finding Jamar’s receipt in a trashcan to letting our bench players commit felonies and still play to beat Kentucky.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »
Where can we see what Wainwright told the campus police? The article I read did not mention it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Where can we see what Wainwright told the campus police? The article I read did not mention it.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=40448.msg1826881#msg1826881

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
Ok so that was it. The article is pretty poorly written, especially here:

On Jan. 26, Overland Park police contacted the K-State Police Department. The affidavit says K-State police spoke with Wainright, who said he "sped off and ran from the police" after he was stopped Jan. 17 and went home after he got away.

So it says OP police contacted KSU PD on Jan. 26, but it doesn’t say when KSU PD spoke to Wainwright or whether that was the statement he gave the KSU PD or the statement he eventually gave after being arrested. I think that’s definitely part of the disconnect here.

I guess the reason I’m less inclined to read that the way sys and Trim read it (that OP talked to KSU PD who same day got a confession from Wainwright) is that it makes zero sense that the OP PD would take THAT long to actually move on the info and not at least try to get that in writing ASAP.

By all appearances that means they would have had a guy who as of Jan. 26 seemed to be willing to give them the information they needed to apprehend everyone involved. But instead they tell KSU sports they aren’t going to be pursuing any charges at the time?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Holy eff.

The statement Wainwright gave to KSUPD took place after OPPD asked KSUPD on 1/26 to question him and before the story came out about the investigation and Wainwright's involvement and KSU saying that Wainwright had cooperated with authorities.  That cooperation is KSUPD's interview of Wainwright.

The statement is not a statement he gave after being arrested.  The statement was used in the affidavit that supported the filing of the case on 3/27, for which he was arrested on 3/28. 

Perhaps you're unaware that it's common for arrests to happen after a case is filed, under the prosecutor's direction.  Arresting prior to there being a case is usually when someone is caught in the act and/or could flee.  Alternatively, when there's an investigation to be done, the cops will do that and present their findings to the prosecutor, who'll direct on what else can or should be done in order for the prosecutor to file the case at the ideal time.

It doesn't do any good for cops to arrest people during investigations without knowing if the prosecutor will actually file the case.  The prosecutor's case is what defines what a defendant is charged with, not a cop's opinion.

The January cops did not and could not have told KSU charges wouldn't be pursued.  KSU took advantage of Wainwright not having been charged yet in January while there were still minutes to be played and while the roster spot couldn't have been filled.  In April, with no minutes to be played for months and players available to fill a roster spot, the procedural step of the criminal complaint being filed was when KSU chose to announce its intolerance for the alleged behavior and send Amaad on his way.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
Also, even as I typed that after figuring out my spelling error, I still spell it Wainwright.  It took me a couple minutes to realize the reason I was having trouble pulling up the actual case info was because it's Wainright.

That spelling just doesn't look right.  Or wright!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
I mean your last paragraph basically is a cream dream endorsement of Gene Taylor.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
I mean your last paragraph basically is a cream dream endorsement of Gene Taylor.

I suspect it was Lowery that was in charge of that whole sequence.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
because the mustang let him

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »
it was taylor's responsibility.  whether or not he abdicated that responsibility to someone down the food chain doesn't matter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »
it was taylor's responsibility.  whether or not he abdicated that responsibility to someone down the food chain doesn't matter.

sure it matters.  people hated currie for being too involved, the mustang has chosen to ignore his players involvement in an attempted murder.  for some, this should be celebrated