Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1347853 times)

michigancat, Trim, Kid In the Hall and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #10925 on: April 24, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
how do they have that much ultrasound equipment sitting around?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: April 24, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
Great, now we are going to get a bunch of new fatigue regulations. (Not for at least 10 years though because the FAA is super slow at implementing new regulations.)

this is your wheelhouse.  this wasn’t an airframe failure, it seems pretty obvious that the engine failure was due to a lack of following existing maintenance guidelines, no? this is the first fatality on a us airline in 9 years, planes aren’t dropping from the sky

My understanding is that the engine manufacturer had issued a SB (Service Bulletin) but the FAA had not yet issued an AD (Airworthiness Directive), so without an AD it is basically just a suggested from the manufacturer, not a legal requirement. EASA (European Aviation Safety Authority) had made it mandatory for EASA registered aircraft just last month.

The SB told them to perform an ultrasonic inspection on the fan blades to inspect for potential fatigue cracks before they became critical size that would fail in flight.

image that, a downgrade airline doesn't GAF about safety unless they're forced to

The FAA issued an emergency AD requiring inspection of all CFM56-7B engines within 20 days (from April 20) so try not to fly on an airplane with that engine before May 11.

About to get on a 737 irl rn, how do I know if it has the pos engine or not?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: April 24, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
how do they have that much ultrasound equipment sitting around?

Well it's like one of the main NDI methods used regularly to inspect aircraft.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: April 24, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Great, now we are going to get a bunch of new fatigue regulations. (Not for at least 10 years though because the FAA is super slow at implementing new regulations.)

this is your wheelhouse.  this wasn’t an airframe failure, it seems pretty obvious that the engine failure was due to a lack of following existing maintenance guidelines, no? this is the first fatality on a us airline in 9 years, planes aren’t dropping from the sky

My understanding is that the engine manufacturer had issued a SB (Service Bulletin) but the FAA had not yet issued an AD (Airworthiness Directive), so without an AD it is basically just a suggested from the manufacturer, not a legal requirement. EASA (European Aviation Safety Authority) had made it mandatory for EASA registered aircraft just last month.

The SB told them to perform an ultrasonic inspection on the fan blades to inspect for potential fatigue cracks before they became critical size that would fail in flight.

image that, a downgrade airline doesn't GAF about safety unless they're forced to

The FAA issued an emergency AD requiring inspection of all CFM56-7B engines within 20 days (from April 20) so try not to fly on an airplane with that engine before May 11.

99% chance it does.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: April 24, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »

99% chance it does.

Non-downgrade airline tho :gocho:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1905061-aa-737-8-cfm56-7b-engines.html

After a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) was published in August 2017, American Airlines voluntarily began inspections of CFM56-7B fan blades under the guidance proposed in the NPRM.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:55:54 PM by mocat »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: April 24, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »
Currently on shitty airline 737 inbound for KC, T’s and P’s appreciated.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
Honest q, how come all sw planes aren't grounded rn?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: April 24, 2018, 08:17:46 PM »
Guess but it's only a very specific engine.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: April 24, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
Guess but it's only a very specific engine.

See mrs gooch's post like 3 posts ago

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: April 24, 2018, 08:41:50 PM »
I flew on 4 SW 737's this weekend and lived to tell the tail

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10935 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
When was the last time Southwest had an accident before this one?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: April 24, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
Lol. Downgrade Southwest has always been safer than the bigger downgrade of Delta

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/list-safest-airlines-100073.html

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: April 24, 2018, 08:56:54 PM »
Same exact thing happened in August 2016 and they didn't do anything about it, but other airlines did. Like all gE'ing aside I'm surprised they're able to keep flying w those engines

The Big Train

« Reply #10938 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
Same exact thing happened in August 2016 and they didn't do anything about it, but other airlines did. Like all gE'ing aside I'm surprised they're able to keep flying w those engines

Nobody died so this statement is very misleading.  Do you understand(really) how many miles/flights/hours have been put on every single one of those model engines?  It’s absolutely astonishing that they can go what they have without incident.  This isn’t like some firestone exploder thing.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: April 24, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
I can give a fatigue lesson at a later date, but suffice it to say that the engineers have used hand waving and magic to determine that this won't be an issue until the engine has 30,000 cycles so only engines beyond this need to be inspected.

Beyond that, the FAA has given the operators 20 days to comply with the AD so there are still airplanes with more than 30,000 cycles on those engines that are flying right now.  :sdeek:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
I can give a fatigue lesson at a later date, but suffice it to say that the engineers have used hand waving and magic to determine that this won't be an issue until the engine has 30,000 cycles so only engines beyond this need to be inspected.

Beyond that, the FAA has given the operators 20 days to comply with the AD so there are still airplanes with more than 30,000 cycles on those engines that are flying right now.  :sdeek:
Yeah but did you see that usatoday airline ranking from 2010?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
How many fatalities has Southwest had in their history, dipshit?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
I flew on 4 SW 737's this weekend and lived to tell the tail
And I bet all 4 started with N

The Big Train

« Reply #10943 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »

Big boeing QA outed.  Also, let’s not forget mocat is a self proclaimed PE engineer, all the while math is obviously something lacking.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: April 24, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »

you are carrying a lot of water for SWA for unknown reasons.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: April 24, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
Yup. Delta's had more crashes due to this data. This was November 17th when Southwest still had zero, but just agree with him already, guys. Sheesh. http://www.airsafe.com/airline.htm

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
I think that's exactly what the sw brass said from their plush Dallas conference room in 2017 to the faa

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:52 PM »

Nothing is unknown here. Chodecat bags on SW and praises Delta because that's who his company is in bed with. Unfortunately for him. He's not safer flying it.

The Big Train

« Reply #10948 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »
Http with that UI is definitely an up to date trustworthy website.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:24 PM »

Nothing is unknown here. Chodecat bags on SW and praises Delta because that's who his company is in bed with. Unfortunately for him. He's not safer flying it.

the unknown is why you care....