Author Topic: Commas  (Read 8417 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Commas
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »
I like to think of commas as a Chris Harper head fake to the inside just to pop it outside and catch it over the shoulder for 46 yards.  Commence:  eating soup.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Commas
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
there needs to be something that's like halfway between a period and a comma. we really mumped up there.
;
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
just use extra spaces     they're very versatile and can do many things that traditional/ordinary punctuation cannot do

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
if anyone has ideas they would like to submit for new punctuation rules this is your thread fellas     get to work sons

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
capital letters      yuck
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
This is my kinda thread. :D

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
there needs to be something that's like halfway between a period and a comma. we really mumped up there.
I use a semicolon (likely incorrectly)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
imagine not having to learn all of the rules of the road about commas about periods about colons and semicolons and other punctuation back in elementary school now quit imagining because this happening 

motto        lets punch punctuation back to the stone ages where it belongs

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
imagine not having to learn all of the rules of the road about commas about periods about colons and semicolons and other punctuation back in elementary school now quit imagining because this happening 

this sounds great but i think it will lead to anarchy within 48 hours
a world without punctuation may not be a world I want to live in
time will tell but i am willing to give it a go

i will bet legal people will really suck at this

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
this is a losing battle

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »

Interesting post rick daris
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »
you can connect two closely related independent clauses with a semicolon if that's your style.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »
Let's eat grandma!!

I'm hilarious.
/thread

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »
you can connect two closely related independent clauses with a semicolon if that's your style.

what i want is the ability to induce an extended pause after a series of words that isn't a sentence. partly for the induced pause, but also because of inflection difference that come along with it. weird i guess, but that's what i want. and i don't think there is something that allows me to do that. dunno.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:23:19 AM by rick daris »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:16 AM »
Let's eat grandma!!

I'm hilarious.
/thread

i counted. not 5, 7, 5.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »
Someone once told me that a comma is nothing more than half a quotation mark that never got taller.  :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »

what i want is the ability to induce an extended pause after a series of words that isn't a sentence. partly for the induced pause, but also because of inflection difference that come along with it. weird i guess, but that's what i want. and i don't think there is something that allows me to do that. dunno.

like, the written word should be closer to conversational speech. we should have the ability to force an extended pause even if we didn't just write a complete sentence or maybe want to start the next part of speech with an and or something. the current commas, periods, question marks and exclamation points just aren't enough. instead of getting rid of things like commas, we should be adding a few more. and oh yeah, excellent posts by the original poster in this thread.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

like, the written word should be closer to conversational speech. we should have the ability to force an extended pause even if we didn't just write a complete sentence or maybe want to start the next part of speech with an and or something. the current commas, periods, question marks and exclamation points just aren't enough. instead of getting rid of things like commas, we should be adding a few more. and oh yeah, excellent posts by the original poster in this thread.

What about ellipses... (?)
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 12:37:44 AM »

not exactly what i want.  like, you know how eskimos have like forty words for snow or whatever? i want that, but with writing words in a very exact and specific way so that people reading them would read them how i would say them if i was saying them and now writing them.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 12:44:51 AM »
i'm on the fence. what does boo radley say?

that'll prob decide it for me.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:57 AM »

boo radley is a cat j-dub. it's going to lick itself for a few hours and then go sleep in the corner for a couple of days. if you're waiting on it's opinion, then you're going to be waiting a while is what i'm saying.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:58:26 AM by rick daris »

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »

boo radley is a cat j-dub. it's going to lick itself for a few hours and then go sleep in the corner for a couple of days. if you're waiting on it's opinion, then you're going to be wait a while is what i'm saying.

i'm waiting on boo's meow and that's all there is to it  :don'tcare:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
Comma comma comma comma comma chameleon

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »

not exactly what i want.  like, you know how eskimos have like forty words for snow or whatever? i want that, but with writing words in a very exact and specific way so that people reading them would read them how i would say them if i was saying them and now writing them.

Maybe you could start using collipses , , , and then if enough people read the board they would eventually make their way into Webster's.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
my grandpa was in a comma after a car accident once. i dont think theyre anything to joke about.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.